Matt VandeBerg

Who was that Iowa WR who years ago had a couple years with the Broncos? His name left me for some reason but he had a cup of coffee in the NFL. Vandeberg kind of reminds me of him.
Kasper was a heck of an athlete and ran like a 4.3 40. Way underated as a WR. I can't remember if he was drafted or not I think he may have been. But yeah he may have been around a handful of years.

I wonder how much worse his stats would be if Rudock was throwing him the ball. CJ and Rudock have a different opinion of what "open" means. That's not a knock on Vandy at all, he's a beast. But having a qb like CJ sure helps make a great receiver look elite.

Normally I'd totally agree with you. There's two reasons why I lean towards him having value. For one he's good I'll leave it a that. Secondly I think the NFL is beginning to value the type of receiver that he is. McNutt back when he came out was different. I say back like it was a long time ago but it almost kinda was the way the NFL has began evolving their passing game. I think there is a distinct role that he would fit and as I was watching the Patriots last night I couldn't help but think he could do many of the same things Edleman. Amendola and Hogan were doing...

Good point. I think Antonio Brown has also changed the way that NFL teams look at smaller receivers. And with some many 3 to 5 WR sets, there are plenty of places to put smaller guys to allow them a good release.

Another small town jewel discovered/recruited by Reese Morgan. Hard-working, intelligent guy who is the perfect face for the Hawkeyes. It has been fun watching him these past 4 years and I fully expect him to play on Sunday next year.

Just for the heck of it I looked up Willies stats because people were lamenting KF for playing Vandeberg over DW back when he elected to be a quitter. Keep in mind Willies is in a pass happy offense that throws the ball all over the field.

Willies: 3 catches for 106 yards and 1 TD
Vandeberg: 11 catches 228 yards and 1 TD

Hmm. Maybe these coaches know how to coach? Amirite?

It's important to note also that Texas Tech has thrown the ball about 124 times in 2 games. 124 times!

Good point. I think Antonio Brown has also changed the way that NFL teams look at smaller receivers. And with some many 3 to 5 WR sets, there are plenty of places to put smaller guys to allow them a good release.
For sure and Vandeberg is 6'1 I think. He's on the slight side but he's just a heck of a football player and way better athlete then people realize. There will be an NFL team that falls in love with him enough to take him I bet.

For sure and Vandeberg is 6'1 I think. He's on the slight side but he's just a heck of a football player and way better athlete then people realize. There will be an NFL team that falls in love with him enough to take him I bet.

The unique thing about Vandeberg, and I think this is what will probably give himself a chance to play in the league, is his ability to catch the ball in traffic and when he's covered. He just has a knack for coming down with it. His physical traits aren't eye popping, but they aren't horrible either. He just catches damn near everything that's thrown at him even if he's blanketed by the defense. Part of the credit goes to CJ for putting the ball in places where only Matt can catch it, but still it's really impressive how he somehow manages to come down with the ball all the time. There's been a number of times when I see CJ throw the ball up to him and I think to myself "Oh god why is he throwing it there!? He's not open!" and then Matt catches the ball. It's to the point where I don't worry about it anymore. Might as well throw it up to him cuz there's a decent chance he's gonna make the play.

It kind of reminds me of the relationship Aaron Rodgers has with Jordy Nelson. Aaron always seems to know what Jordy is going to do and where he wants the ball. It allows them to complete passes that are ridiculous. Now I'm not comparing CJ to Rodgers or Vandeberg to Nelson. I'm just saying their comfort level with each other as a QB/WR combo is off the charts, and that's the same feeling I get when I see CJ and Vandeberg play.

Latest posts