Matt Millen's commentary

troy

After Stanzi missed a long pass to DJK, Millen slammed his ability to throw the deep ball. He didn't say anything later after the long TD pass to A-Rob. I think Millen has been inaccurate on some other things as well.

After Stanzi missed a long pass to DJK, Millen slammed his ability to throw the deep ball. He didn't say anything later after the long TD pass to A-Rob. I think Millen has been inaccurate on some other things as well.

I like Millen. That comment about Stanzi reading War and Peace on the McNutt touchdown was pretty good.

He's f'n horrible. And did you see what he's wearing? My gawd, I've never seen an uglier tie/shirt combo.
Millen = Frankenstein.

Stanzi has never been reliable with the long ball. When Stanzi goes deep my first instinct is - incomplete or INT, sometimes he mystifies with a perfect throw

I will say that Stanzi is much improved this season

Stanzi has never been reliable with the long ball. When Stanzi goes deep my first instinct is - incomplete or INT, sometimes he mystifies with a perfect throw

I will say that Stanzi is much improved this season

I will say that you're a troll.

I think people that watch a lot of CFB aren't used to seeing a QB throw a lot of deep balls. Stanzi throws deep a lot. I think he does it very well. he gets more opportunities than most in this system so if you are a glass half full guy you think he is awesome, if you are half empty he is terrible. He is above average to good. He has great touch, decent arm strength and above average accuracy, but most importantly good decision making.

I thought the same thing he has been able to throw the deep ball good all year!

That pass sucked, I was amazed it wasn't a pick. He settled down after the first Qtr.

I saw nothing wrong with his call of the game.

I'm glad we have Stanzi and overall I think he's great but he hasn't been up to his potential this year with the deep ball. He's missed several this year. Today's would have been an easy td but it was severely underthrown. Do you think that was a good pass?

You would think a man hired to call a game on national television would be able to pronounce the Iowa coach's name correctly.

People who don't think Millen is a good announcer don't really know much about football. He made a mistake about Stanzi throwing a bad deep ball, but he has is well respected for his announcing. Perhaps his drafting is the worst of all time, but he is a good announcer

Millen is the master of hyperbole. Every time a player makes a good play, it's the greatest play he's ever seen. When they make a poor play, it's inexcusably bad.

In general, he has been very complimentary of Iowa.

As for Ricky's deep ball, it's not bad, not great. Let's be honest, the pass in question was a hanging duck into double coverage that very easily could have been picked. Poor throw, poor decision.

Stanzi makes some strange decisions at times. He's also one of the best QB's Iowa has ever had.

People who don't think Millen is a good announcer don't really know much about football. He made a mistake about Stanzi throwing a bad deep ball, but he has is well respected for his announcing. Perhaps his drafting is the worst of all time, but he is a good announcer

One would tend to affect the other. If he didn't know squat about drafting, then it legitimately makes one wonder if he knows squat about football, and thus whether he can be a good analyst.

And that's what he is: not just a commentator, but an analyst. The person who is expected to KNOW the game.

What I KNOW about Millen is that he may be the worst NFL GM ever.

Millen is the master of hyperbole. Every time a player makes a good play, it's the greatest play he's ever seen. When they make a poor play, it's inexcusably bad.

In general, he has been very complimentary of Iowa.

As for Ricky's deep ball, it's not bad, not great. Let's be honest, the pass in question was a hanging duck into double coverage that very easily could have been picked. Poor throw, poor decision.

Stanzi makes some strange decisions at times. He's also one of the best QB's Iowa has ever had.

that pass was into the wind.

Stanzi throws a very good deep pass.

Matt Millen last year said that Forcier was the best quaterback in the big ten and he is also the one that is so good at spotting talent that he brought the Lions to a 0-16 record before he was fired, so I just tend to ignore everything he says about a players ability.

that pass was into the wind.

Stanzi throws a very good deep pass.

Okay. What was he doing throwing a high hanger into the wind then?

My point was not to disparage Stanzi's deep ball, but rather to point out that the particular pass in question was poor, and that Stanzi occasionally throws a bad deep pass into coverage.

Whether it's a poor pass or a poor decision matters little.

I still think he's one of the three best QB's ever to play at Iowa.

I thought Millen was very complimentary of Iowa, the players and the coaching staff. At one point, McDonough even mentioned he had mentioned that Iowa was a lot like Pennsylvania, only flat. (He is a Penn State grad). IMO, he is a good announcer and I do enjoy listening to him (even though he can't draft for an NFL team).

Latest posts