Matt Gatens= 1st team All Big10

I think it goes like this (I'll use bubble terms)

1st team
D Green - lock
C Zeller - lock
T Frazier - lock
J Sullinger - lock
R Hummel - bubble

2nd team
J Shurna - bubble
M Gatens - bubble
J Taylor
T Burke
Take your pick here for the final one

IMO Shurna is a lock for 1st team (he's the league's leading scorer and #9 rebounder). I have him ahead of Zeller and Hummel.

Dashaun Thomas and Buford have both had solid years. One or both of them will be on the 2nd team.

Prior to the last 3 games I don't think Gatens had a chance at the 2nd team but he's earning it.

Its still a tough argument (right now) to put Gatens on the 2nd team ahead of Buford, D. Thomas, Burke, or Taylor. I think Burke has had a better year. Gatens has been better than Taylor, but he is the best player on Wiscy (and came in with more accolades - that shouldn't affect voting but it will). Buford and Thomas are both good players on a much better team.

I hate that where a team finishes has to factor into it, but it does. Therefore, Gatens won't get 1st team.

I'll go:
Shurna
Frazier
Sullinger
Hummel
Green

Again I know there isn't a requirement that 2 guards be on the team I just don't think having less than 2 will happen.

What's interesting is that the coaches vote on this, and I think the fact that a TON of coaches have much respect for Matt factors in here.

My team predictions:

1st

Green- POY,no-brainer
Sullinger- fading a bit but still has the hype
Shurna- lock
Fraizer- lock
Taylor- tough call,but Wisky finishing strong,and he had the preseason hype.

2nd team

Hummel- close call,as he is finishing very strong,and sentimental choice.
Zeller- great year,but a frosh,so will not be elevated above seniors
Burke- close second to Zeller as Frosh of year
Buford- disappointing year,but still has numbers and a good team,senior
Gatens- great close to move up,senior,lifetime achievement.

3rd team-

Craft- Defensive POY...nuff said.
Leonard- last nite helps a lot
Appling- League champ must have 2 on all big ten teams.
Hardaway- has numbers despite disappointing shooting year,but team award.
Crawford- close call,but he has scoring numbers.

Rod Williams,Spencer,Deshaun Thomas,Berggren,Novak,Watford,LewJackson, Brandon Paul all could make a case for 3rd team,possibly.

It was a good league this year with a very solid senior class who should dominate the honors teams.

Lots of good players in the league this year.

The fact that both Taylor and Burke could both be left off the first team is telling.

Obviously if Gatens had shot the ball the whole year like he has the last four games he would not only be first team but potentially player of the year.

I can't remember ever seeing a guy step up his performance so drastically at the very end of his career like Matt is.

My first team would be

Frazier
Gatens\Taylor (Gatens could get it but it will probably go to Taylor)
Hummel
Sherna
Green POY

I left off Sullinger because I don't think he has had the year Sherna has but it could go either way, he could also probably be on in place of Hummel but you have the sentimentality factor with Hummel.

Zeller is not going to get it over all those seniors.