Matt Doherty is at the Eastern Iowa Airport

KGHawk88

Had a great start at Notre Dame, was an assistant under Williams at KU and was the head man at UNC. Not sure what led to his downfall, but he had some amazing recruiting classes, lots of experience at a big time program. I think that would be a decent hire. He has a boisterous and in your face style, which would be a change from Lick but I think something the fan base could rally around?

Her currently is the head man at SMU,and they have struggled a bit. Not sure as to their record the past few years. But, he moved there from a smaller mid-major where he had a Ton of success. See if it is a coincidence, although not sure why you are in CR if you are not coming to the area for some reason?

Last edited:
I'd take Doherty over a lot of other guys that have been mentioned. I would prefer others over him, but he'd be a good fall back.

Spanky, you are easily one of the most knowledgeable and reasonable fans out there, but every now and then I'm compelled to ask you:

Have you lost your freaking mind?

:)

Someone emailed me about this. Saying someone they know emailed them a pic they took with phone at CRI and it was him. I have nit heard his name mentioned once by the way

Spanky, you are easily one of the most knowledgeable and reasonable fans out there, but every now and then I'm compelled to ask you:

Have you lost your freaking mind?

:)

He has a good base and good background. Has not done well as a head coach, but names like Boylen scare me.

And when I said fall back, I meant faaaaaaaaaall back. Like way back. ;)

In ten years of coaching he has led his team to the NCAA tournament once. He has won 20 games twice. He has finished above .500 four times. You are OK with this?

I did sit next to him on a flight once and he is a nice guy.

He has a good base and good background. Has not done well as a head coach, but names like Boylen scare me.

And when I said fall back, I meant faaaaaaaaaall back. Like way back. ;)

Do you realize this guy had a player revolt at UNC and has the personality of a pickled herring? (All of that should sound familiar.)

That's not falling back, that's giving up. He might be one of the few guys in the country I'd rank Boylen ahead of, but it's close.

Here is his coaching record at SMU...

14-17 (3-13)
10-20 (4-12)
9-21 (3-13)
14-17 (7-9)

If you invert it it doesn't look half bad...

Last edited:
Hopefully he is here on a day Barta is away interviewing... As far as I am concerned these two ships can pass by each other silently.

17 and freakin 47 in conference USA, after looking at these numbers this better not be the next Iowa coach.

Barta would consider this an improvement. It's not like he's seen a better conference record since he's been here. He may think it is acceptable. I'm starting to worry what will happen when Ferentz leaves and Barta is in charge of hiring the next coach...:eek:

Barta would consider this an improvement. It's not like he's seen a better conference record since he's been here. He may think it is acceptable. I'm starting to worry what will happen when Ferentz leaves and Barta is in charge of hiring the next coach...:eek:

If Barta hires Doherty you won't have to worry about him hiring a football coach because he won't be around when KF leaves.

Latest posts