Maryland takeaways

It’s rare in the Kirk Ferentz era when it all comes together. When it does it’s a symphony of destruction.

thrash e Doom Metal – Heavy Metal Mania

Yes

Yes It Is

That game was Ferentzball run to near perfection.

Putting my coach hat on (it looks like the one Hayden used to wear), biggest risk here: complacency.

We saw a Iowa team sick and tired of hearing about how overrated they were all week come out and absolutely humiliate what had been looking like a solid upper mid-pack Maryland team.

Now, all the world is in love with them Hawkeyes, but we're still the same team that got ourselves into a 60 minute dogfight with a hapless Colorado St.

Pounding Maryland on Friday night was the payoff of many long hours of hard work and a coaching staff that demands perfection, because they know the margins are slim.

The Colorado St game shows you what happens, when your margins are slim, and you let off the gas even one tiny, nearly imperceptible, bit.

The rest of the way out, you've got two kinds of games:

- The Penn State game, which is an unofficial CFP pre qualifier game. I need say no more about this.

- All the others in which, for the team we are lined up against, beating us will make. Their. Season.

Buckle up, Hawks. Slim margins plus a target on your back equals better eat ya' Wheaties.

In practical terms, what I'm really hitting in game film review this week is mistakes. If you think "51-14" means there were no mistakes, than you can just GTFO of my meeting room or practice field. In particular, penalties. Nine penalties. Way too many. Luckily, it came in a game where our opponent was in full on meltdown mode. But go ahead, commit 9 penalties against PSU - see what happens. Do you want to miss out on making history because you forgot to glance at the play clock or released too soon on a screen or what have you? Clean it up or we'll pay the price.

Clint Eastwood | Clint eastwood western movies, Clint eastwood, Clint

Purdue lost to Minny and Wiscy got the sh*t knocked out of them at home.

PsU is the only game we could lose and we get them at home.

Remember what happened after the 2017 OSU game.
You have to find something negative. Before that game, they squeaked by ISU, lost to Northwestern MSU and Penn State. They were 5 - 3 after, had won one game in a row, and were unranked.

There is 0 connection to this year. Last night, Maryland got carded and kicked out of the bar, Iowa got in and partied.

After watching Wisconsin today, PSU's ID looks a little sketchy, too. And that Indiana win - they gave Cincy a game, and Cincy is up 10 - 0 on ND at ND. ND blew out Wisconsin. PSU probably should have lost to Wisconsin, but picked off a pass to seal the deal.

To put a point on it:

- PSU, well coached AND talented
- Wisconsin, exquisitely coached, likely with a slight talent advantage over us
- NW, also exquisitely coached and at a decided talent disadvantage with us (ironically making them all the more dangerous)

Rest of the schedule isn't chop liver, but these are the immediate "buckle up" games for my money.

Our steepest challenges are yet to come. Strap it up and strap it on (?), gonna be a rocky ride, gents. Can't wait.
I beg to differ...PSU almost lost to Wisconsin, Wisconsin has a good defense they are a mess offensively, and Fitz's team has big QB issues. We will see what he cooks up tonight vs Lil Debbie

Petras is showing an ability to drop that ball in a bucket on long passes. Some of his early short passes were cringe worthy. Throwing behind the receiver on man to man coverage was dangerous. Iowa's offensive line for the most part overpowered Maryland's defensive line. They showed that on 2 TDs via QB sneaks. As Maryland fell apart the whole Iowa playbook was open and working.

He corrected that. After Demus went down the game for Iowa was about putting things on tape. After that it was the destruction of Maryland's hopes. For awhile it looked like Maryland's QB was the best player on Iowa's team.

The offense has certainly evolved a lot over Brian's tenure. In fact its nothing like it used to be. They don't just pound the rock and expect to out physical and overpower teams. They're more intelligent and diverse in the attack. Old Iowa would have scored 20 points last Friday.

The offense has certainly evolved a lot over Brian's tenure. In fact its nothing like it used to be. They don't just pound the rock and expect to out physical and overpower teams. They're more intelligent and diverse in the attack. Old Iowa would have scored 20 points last Friday.
Agree 100%. If anyone thinks this is the same old Iowa offense the KOK ran, then they really don't get how nuanced the offense has become in its use of motion and multiplicity. That includes the announcers who think they can recycle scouting from 10 years ago.

But I disagree that they would have only scored 20. They would have scored 26 and had a 44 minute TOP.

For all the shit I’ve given Petras I gotta say he had a solid day. I can only recall 2 times where I felt he missed a wide open receivers and I can’t expect perfection. He did a real good job.

This team seemed like they played with a chip on their shoulder and had something to prove. I was really impressed with how the offense responded after falling behind 7-3.
I've piled on the kid too and that game right there is all he's gotta be able to do. I think BF helped with that some because they came out throwing early and often on early downs.

That game plan did a couple things. It caught MD off guard some I think and it set up the running game which in turn opened up the PA game off of that. I suspect we'll throw try to do a similar game plan going forward being more aggressive early throwing the darn ball. Petras did put a couple balls up for grabs but bottom line is bottom line. No turnovers again. He keeps that up and sky is the limit. All gas no brakes baby !!

Purdue lost to Minny and Wiscy got the sh*t knocked out of them at home.

PsU is the only game we could lose and we get them at home.

Only game we can lose? Either your into really bold statements or don't watch Iowa football. Sure we could win out, but lets not pretend historically we've always taken care of business and won the games we were favored in.

Latest posts