Maryland takeaways

For all the shit I’ve given Petras I gotta say he had a solid day. I can only recall 2 times where I felt he missed a wide open receivers and I can’t expect perfection. He did a real good job.

This team seemed like they played with a chip on their shoulder and had something to prove. I was really impressed with how the offense responded after falling behind 7-3.

Last edited:
Rewatching highlights....
Goodson is fasssssst. That 67 yard reception...he broke one dude's ankles and while I'd like to say he made the other one eat gravel.....he didn't. That guy wound up so far back, the dust cloud was even settling.

As a pre Kroenke Rams and Kurt Warner fan....Goodson is very Faulk-like. Marshall was a devastating weapon with his YAC.

What do you think is more predictive of the future...a game 4 years ago during the first year of this iteration of the coaching staff, or the last 11 games in a row we have won?
I think KF is incredibly unpredictable.

That game was Ferentzball run to near perfection.

Putting my coach hat on (it looks like the one Hayden used to wear), biggest risk here: complacency.

We saw a Iowa team sick and tired of hearing about how overrated they were all week come out and absolutely humiliate what had been looking like a solid upper mid-pack Maryland team.

Now, all the world is in love with them Hawkeyes, but we're still the same team that got ourselves into a 60 minute dogfight with a hapless Colorado St.

Pounding Maryland on Friday night was the payoff of many long hours of hard work and a coaching staff that demands perfection, because they know the margins are slim.

The Colorado St game shows you what happens, when your margins are slim, and you let off the gas even one tiny, nearly imperceptible, bit.

The rest of the way out, you've got two kinds of games:

- The Penn State game, which is an unofficial CFP pre qualifier game. I need say no more about this.

- All the others in which, for the team we are lined up against, beating us will make. Their. Season.

Buckle up, Hawks. Slim margins plus a target on your back equals better eat ya' Wheaties.

In practical terms, what I'm really hitting in game film review this week is mistakes. If you think "51-14" means there were no mistakes, than you can just GTFO of my meeting room or practice field. In particular, penalties. Nine penalties. Way too many. Luckily, it came in a game where our opponent was in full on meltdown mode. But go ahead, commit 9 penalties against PSU - see what happens. Do you want to miss out on making history because you forgot to glance at the play clock or released too soon on a screen or what have you? Clean it up or we'll pay the price.

Was at 50 percent until Petras left.
You nailed it. For as much of a lopsided game as this was, it was even worse (for Maryland). Our offensive numbers could have been straight up gaudy if we felt like it. Our OL was blowing their DL 3-4 yards off the ball, not every time, but consistently. This system is essentially unstoppable when that happens, even with our apparent deficiencies at the WR position (though I've seen signs of improvement there the last couple weeks).

One other thing I'll call out. Talking out of both sides of my mouth here a bit, because I do think Maryland was/is shaping up to be a solid mid pack team. They've got some talent for sure.

That said...I have very little respect for their game day coaching. Even less now, but I didn't have much coming into it. Locksley and Zook...good recruiters but, man, they can't fucking coach. If you let them get their horses running, they can beat you. But if you can get their horses tripped up early? Yeah, 51-14.

To put a point on it:

- PSU, well coached AND talented
- Wisconsin, exquisitely coached, likely with a slight talent advantage over us
- NW, also exquisitely coached and at a decided talent disadvantage with us (ironically making them all the more dangerous)

Rest of the schedule isn't chop liver, but these are the immediate "buckle up" games for my money.

Our steepest challenges are yet to come. Strap it up and strap it on (?), gonna be a rocky ride, gents. Can't wait.

Latest posts