Maryland OL thinks Iowa D overrated?

"We want to prove these guys wrong that they’re not this stout run defense that they keep claiming to be."

Where do they even come off making a statement like this when they are a garbage team this year?

iowa has always been great with assignment football. this offense -ala back when he (Locksley) coached at illinois - if best defeated by playing sound assignment football. Norm Parker was great at this, and I assume Phil is too.
Forcing teams to the outside and not allowing them to turn the corner generally means the defenders are playing their assignments so I would say Phil is succeeding in this aspect.

Last edited:
I'm confused why so many are taking offense? What do you want him to say? "We suck and won't even show up".

Lol settle down nerds

Not so fast my friends... The did put up 253 against OSU and 242 against PSU. It looks to me like the big difference is that they started giving the ball to their speedy QB 20+ more times a game after they fired their coach. A QB that didn't play in 3 games this year. They also have a good running back. They have some reasons to be confident IMO.

They also like to use a lot of misdirection and persuasion blocking to keep opposing defenses guessing. Indiana is a bit like that too. They aren't loaded with talent, but they will try to out-scheme with what they've got. They will try to take advantage of over-aggressiveness and mix up the cues the defender reads. Iowa has seen it once and had two weeks to prepare this time. Hopefully they had time to run a mini clinic on what Maryland is throwing at them.

Ohio State's defense is average. Doesn't compare to Iowa's D against the run. And if they throw to King's side, it will be Iowa's ball! Mabin isn't too bad either.

Talk is talk. Like IowaHoks23 said above, what do you want the man to say? "We'll never move the ball on that defense it."?

Drew Ott got schooled at Maryland last year. Go watch the video. There were some very humiliating moments for him and also in the bowl game. Still not sure how he got so much hype coming into this year.

<font color="#EEEEEE"><span style="font-family: Roboto">[video]https://youtu.be/Pv59f463-I8[/video]Pv59f463-I8

Drew Ott got schooled at Maryland last year. Go watch the video. There were some very humiliating moments for him and also in the bowl game. Still not sure how he got so much hype coming into this year.

Last year was last year. That said I thing we benefitted from it as he probably used it as motivation all offseason.

I'm confused why so many are taking offense? What do you want him to say? "We suck and won't even show up".

Lol settle down nerds

You say. "We feel that we have a good running game, and we want to establish the run. We look forward to competing with their front 7."

Nothing wrong with being confident at all, but you don't give billboard material to the opponent. You didn't see Iowa saying stuff like this about jNW rush defense which was stout going into their matchup.

Last edited:
To play a bit of devil's advocate here, Iowa's scheme has traditionally been weak vs uptempo spread run teams. Their ability to stop the run vs MD will make me feel a little better about Indiana.

Could be deception. Watch them try to pass most of the game.

9300046.jpg

"We want to prove these guys wrong that they’re not this stout run defense that they keep claiming to be"

Did you catch the double-negative? I think this means "Iowa is wrong that they're not a stout run defense" and Maryland wants to prove that Iowa IS a stout run defense.

Bwa-ha-ha, Jaleel and friends stand ready to help!!!

iowa has always been great with assignment football. this offense -ala back when he (Locksley) coached at illinois - if best defeated by playing sound assignment football. Norm Parker was great at this, and I assume Phil is too.

Bro, nothing against Norm because we all know O'Keefe carried the team with those offenses back in the day, but I sat in Memorial Stadium as time wound down and watched Juice Williams get Elway-fied on our defense on that last drive back in 2008. 3 down linemen, waltzed it right down the field for the game winning FG. It was horrible to watch. Of course, we redeemed ourselves the next week, but Locksley straight up owned Ferentz & Norm in that game. Locks was also the OC who shredded our D last year in that MD game. I think Locks got a bad deal up to North Mexico because that team was dog crap and he couldn't recruit anyone to play under the shadow of Coach Alford, but the guy has punked Ferentz in the last two meetings so I wouldn't be so confident.

Bro, nothing against Norm because we all know O'Keefe carried the team with those offenses back in the day, but I sat in Memorial Stadium as time wound down and watched Juice Williams get Elway-fied on our defense on that last drive back in 2008. 3 down linemen, waltzed it right down the field for the game winning FG. It was horrible to watch. Of course, we redeemed ourselves the next week, but Locksley straight up owned Ferentz & Norm in that game. Locks was also the OC who shredded our D last year in that MD game. I think Locks got a bad deal up to North Mexico because that team was dog crap and he couldn't recruit anyone to play under the shadow of Coach Alford, but the guy has punked Ferentz in the last two meetings so I wouldn't be so confident.
Awww yes.......but he hasn't gone up against the new and improved Ferentz! Not going to get punked this time!

Latest posts