Maryland is worse off keeping Durkin

NoBeer

Maryland has not fully resolved the issue of the player who was killed by a coaching staff who ignored medical distress and denied him water as punishment for his "weakness". Durkin is still on leave, strength and conditioning coach Rick Court has been fired.

The accusations that Durkin has fostered a toxic culture are not limited in scope. Former and current players echo the accusation as does at least one former staff member. One or two people you can discount as being disgruntled or just not able to cut it at the D1 level but the depth of complaints here is too much.

A kid is dead. Some kid dies nearly every year it seems during football conditioning season at the high school level. But in most cases it reasonably CAN be chalked up to a terrible, tragic, accident. In a program where the head coach seems to think abuse = motivation, its not an accident. Not only should Durkin be gone but someone should be charged with manslaughter if the accusation about denying the player water are true.

Durkin will either not change his ways in which case, you have to wonder if a certain percentage of the team will look at their coach as an abusive monster... OR he'll overcorrect to the degree that the program will no longer be competitive and will lose all edge in the trenches, like Nebraska under nice-guy Reilly the past few years. I don't see how the program achieves a level of balance going forward with Durkin still at the helm.

I would say with 99% certainty that Durkin will be gone. They are likely just working out some sort of buyout. His would be the most complicated of all the coaches which is probably why he's still technically the coach. There's just no way they can afford to keep him on several levels.

Maryland has not fully resolved the issue of the player who was killed by a coaching staff who ignored medical distress and denied him water as punishment for his "weakness". Durkin is still on leave, strength and conditioning coach Rick Court has been fired.

The accusations that Durkin has fostered a toxic culture are not limited in scope. Former and current players echo the accusation as does at least one former staff member. One or two people you can discount as being disgruntled or just not able to cut it at the D1 level but the depth of complaints here is too much.

A kid is dead. Some kid dies nearly every year it seems during football conditioning season at the high school level. But in most cases it reasonably CAN be chalked up to a terrible, tragic, accident. In a program where the head coach seems to think abuse = motivation, its not an accident. Not only should Durkin be gone but someone should be charged with manslaughter if the accusation about denying the player water are true.

Durkin will either not change his ways in which case, you have to wonder if a certain percentage of the team will look at their coach as an abusive monster... OR he'll overcorrect to the degree that the program will no longer be competitive and will lose all edge in the trenches, like Nebraska under nice-guy Reilly the past few years. I don't see how the program achieves a level of balance going forward with Durkin still at the helm.
Moot point. There is zero chance he ever coaches Maryland again.

Dude, go write a blog. Who--on a Hawkeye-themed message board--wants to read in-depth "dissertation" about Maryland football?

Dude, go write a blog. Who--on a Hawkeye-themed message board--wants to read in-depth "dissertation" about Maryland football?

I also found his post interesting and worth reading. Why?

MD is now a full member of the Big Ten
MD football is on Iowa's schedule in 2018.

And most importantly, what can Iowa learn from this?

After the lawsuits, testimonies, and bad press I don't see him coaching anywhere but a men's prison, where he and his little bitch assistant (Court) belong.

They basically killed a kid, in action and in neglect. They took over an hour to call an ambulance. If you read a little about the stories being told by players and witnesses these guys were the worst thugs, worst coaches, worst humans you could imagine entrusting your kids to.

Last edited:
After the lawsuits, testimonies, and bad press I don't see him coaching anywhere but a men's prison, where he and his little bitch assistant (Court) belong.
I am not confident that either will be convicted of any crime. We shall see.

Yeah from hearing the tone of the President of theirs yesterday they'll be cleaning house... When have you heard of a school accepting the responsibility in that way? Most schools lawyer up and try and fight to 'preserve' their reputations that's not what he did. That's what we should hope to hear from them and now we'll see what they do going forward...

Durkin and Court are reprehensible as coaches.

But isn’t this completely on the training staff?? If someone goes down in practice it is my understanding that the head trainer is now “in charge,” and decides what kind of medical treatment needs to be administered. Is that right? WTF were these medical people doing?! The kid was clearly overheated, but they don’t even take his temperature?

If Durkin and/or Court or any other coach interferes with that process, then (1) they should be fired immediately for cause. (2) the head medical person on sight should be fired immediately for not having the stones to overrule the coaches and get this kid the medical attention he clearly needed. A freaking candy-stripper would have known to both take his temperature and ice him down. In light of the Kory Springer, death at Vikings camp a few years ago - how can any athletic trainer not be absolutely expert in just this situation. I bet you have to know the Kory Springer case inside and out in order to become an athletic trainer. My Goodness. Every single doctor/trainer/medical person that was on that field should be fired immediately.

If Durkin or another coach interfered, then there is a special place in hell for them. Still, Durkin and the coaching staff are not medical experts. It is the medical experts on site that failed the young man, or he would probably be alive.

Just my 2 cents.

Durkin and Court are reprehensible as coaches.

But isn’t this completely on the training staff?? If someone goes down in practice it is my understanding that the head trainer is now “in charge,” and decides what kind of medical treatment needs to be administered. Is that right? WTF were these medical people doing?! The kid was clearly overheated, but they don’t even take his temperature?

If Durkin and/or Court or any other coach interferes with that process, then (1) they should be fired immediately for cause. (2) the head medical person on sight should be fired immediately for not having the stones to overrule the coaches and get this kid the medical attention he clearly needed. A freaking candy-stripper would have known to both take his temperature and ice him down. In light of the Kory Springer, death at Vikings camp a few years ago - how can any athletic trainer not be absolutely expert in just this situation. I bet you have to know the Kory Springer case inside and out in order to become an athletic trainer. My Goodness. Every single doctor/trainer/medical person that was on that field should be fired immediately.

If Durkin or another coach interfered, then there is a special place in hell for them. Still, Durkin and the coaching staff are not medical experts. It is the medical experts on site that failed the young man, or he would probably be alive.

Just my 2 cents.

Good points. I think you could argue that the coaches can create an environment that influences the medical professionals decisions, but ultimately it is on the medical staff. The head AT was quoted as saying, "Drag his ass across the field!" as McNair was having trouble finishing his sprints.

Just to date you (and I), the Korey Stringer case was almost 20 years ago (17, I think).

Good news is Iowa needs to start recruiting the area around Maryland and DC heavily. Should be pretty easy to negative recruit against an abusive coach.

No coach should ever overrule a doctor or trainer once the medical professional has made his or her decision. That one of the reasons why medical staff are there-to take that burden away from the coach.

Former Illinois coach Tim Boeckman was known to overrule medical staff members and force injured players to practice. It's one of the reasons he is a former coach.

John Madden was one of the first people I remember who explained the difference between hurt and injured. A hurt player can play or practice, and while they will be sore the next day they will be able to do their job with minimal effects once the blood gets flowing. An injured player should do neither. They will injure themselves worse. A player suffering from heat stroke would definitely qualify as injured, and a life threatening emergency situation at that.

Latest posts