Martinez is out on Friday

This sucks, I wanted Iowa to beat Nebraska WITH Martinez as their starting QB. Now if Iowa wins they will use this as an excuse.
If Martinez played and they lost they'd still have an excuse. It's Nebraska!!! Personally a win is a win at the end of the day regardless of who plays and who doesn't. All I care about is a win and then they have one more thing to bitch about when bowl season gets here.

You really think Phil Parker sucks huh?
Well, he did have all year to figure out a way to stop David Bell...

No, I don't think Parker sucks.
You really like to read way more into things than you should, huh?

History has shown that Iowa has a difficult time against highly mobile back up QBs making their first start.
OR
I was being highly sarcastic.
OR
Both

No, I don't think Parker sucks.
You really like to read way more into things than you should, huh?

History has shown that Iowa has a difficult time against highly mobile back up QBs making their first start.
OR
I was being highly sarcastic.
OR
Both
David Bell is a generational talent that nobody with our current group of guys was going to stop.

He's a Saquon Barkley/Christian McCaffery type guy who you can scheme for all you want, but if you don't put pressure on the QB you're screwed because none of our DBs could hang with him on their best day, period. That's not an indictment of out defensive backs, it's saying how special a talent David Bell is.

David Bell is a generational talent that nobody with our current group of guys was going to stop.

He's a Saquon Barkley/Christian McCaffery type guy who you can scheme for all you want, but if you don't put pressure on the QB you're screwed because none of our DBs could hang with him on their best day, period. That's not an indictment of out defensive backs, it's saying how special a talent David Bell is.
Once again, sarcasm.

But while we are discussing, we played way too much man on Bell and did not scheme to pressure the QB.

Dude is a beast and if we had him, we would be undefeated.

But while we are discussing, we played way too much man on Bell and did not scheme to pressure the QB.
I disagree on not scheming to get at their QB. That's exactly what we tried to do and our bodies couldn't get the job done. With Bell in their lineup Purdue makes you pick your poison and neither option is attractive.

You either sell out and load up the box to get to O'Connell (we couldn't get at him) which leaves you man to man in the defensive backfield--you know what happens then--or you go zone and try to double up in Bell's direction leaving someone else open. Purdue had 31 catches that game from 7 receivers, and only 11 catches went to Bell. Unless you can figure out a way to sneak 12 guys on the field there's no way to shut that down without getting to O'Connell...you're screwed because of the number of options they have. If we had say, Ohio State's or Michigan's depth and athleticism in the secondary you could make it work, but we don't.

Once again, sarcasm.

Dude is a beast and if we had him, we would be undefeated.
Wish I had the same confidence you did in BF... I'm sitting here thinking that Bell wouldn't be doing a whole lot more then what Johnson has been doing for us the last few weeks because we just wouldn't use him much more then that.

Don't get me wrong Bell is as good as it gets but if you aren't game planning to use him and he's just out there running wind sprints and blocking then you'd never know. Kid made the right choice going there instead of Iowa which pains me to say but who/how could one argue against that?

Wish I had the same confidence you did in BF... I'm sitting here thinking that Bell wouldn't be doing a whole lot more then what Johnson has been doing for us the last few weeks because we just wouldn't use him much more then that.

Don't get me wrong Bell is as good as it gets but if you aren't game planning to use him and he's just out there running wind sprints and blocking then you'd never know. Kid made the right choice going there instead of Iowa which pains me to say but who/how could one argue against that?
I think it is possible to see when KF puts his thumb on the offense during the game. There is a noticeable difference in how much the offense tries to push the ball downfield.

My biggest complaint about BF is he sometimes tries to be too cute. 13 yard RB draw on 3rd and 12 really only works once a game. Not 3 times. Running 5 plays to set up a fake jet sweep, probably 3 too many.

KF's brand of complimentary football can and does still work these days. The problem is that this year's team lacks a huge piece to be able to pull it off successfully - the ability to salt away a game with 4 yard runs. This makes it difficult for BF - or any OC for that matter - to end a game. This is why we see so many 3 and outs at the end of the game. KF wants the clock run down, but it can't be done and it leaves the offense with 3rd and long dang near every time.

Also, Bell doesn't drop a thing. It hits his hands he catches it.

If we estimate that Iowa's targets drop (ball hits hands or face) on an average of 6 balls a game (sadly this could be the right amount) then over the first 11 games 66 passes have been dropped. If that could be improved by half - so 33 more catches - think of how much better the offense would have performed. Many of these reclaimed catches would happen on 3rd down extending drives and making the O look even better.

I know, if my aunt had a dick and whatnot...

But Bell touch ball, Bell catch ball. Bell also runs after the catch better than every Iowa WR not named McNutt or DJK (and probably better than them as well).

Also, Bell doesn't drop a thing. It hits his hands he catches it.

If we estimate that Iowa's targets drop (ball hits hands or face) on an average of 6 balls a game (sadly this could be the right amount) then over the first 11 games 66 passes have been dropped. If that could be improved by half - so 33 more catches - think of how much better the offense would have performed. Many of these reclaimed catches would happen on 3rd down extending drives and making the O look even better.

I know, if my aunt had a dick and whatnot...

But Bell touch ball, Bell catch ball. Bell also runs after the catch better than every Iowa WR not named McNutt or DJK (and probably better than them as well).
Yeah as far as I'm concerned a 3rd down drop isn't a whole lot worse then a TO. The what ifs involved with continuing a drive due to that is beyond frustrating because the coaches and players did everything right to get to that point but then pffff....

It's like going on a 14 play 85 yard drive that stalls and the kicker missing a chip shot 30 yarder with no excuses. All those things KF would shrug his shoulders at and say 'Thats football'.

Yeah as far as I'm concerned a 3rd down drop isn't a whole lot worse then a TO. The what ifs involved with continuing a drive due to that is beyond frustrating because the coaches and players did everything right to get to that point but then pffff....

It's like going on a 14 play 85 yard drive that stalls and the kicker missing a chip shot 30 yarder with no excuses. All those things KF would shrug his shoulders at and say 'Thats football'.
As much as people make fun of it, what else is he going to say?
Is he supposed to pull a Frost and call out his players?

Nah, "That's football" works for me.

As much as people make fun of it, what else is he going to say?
Is he supposed to pull a Frost and call out his players?

Nah, "That's football" works for me.

Fans are idiots and want coaches to show the same level of anger as us. That would destroy a locker room.

SF is desperate. After dumping 8 offensive coaches might be good idea to wait until game is over before counting AM out.

Looks to be a dual threat guy. Very highly regarded recruit, but very little college level experience.

I'd run him a lot. A mobile QB can find cheap yards against our defensive system.

There was some film on his passing on the local sports show last nite and that video did not show a great passer but certainly not a weak noodle arm.

It will be interesting to see how PParker will defense Nebby with an inexperience qb iirc Martinez was pretty new when he first played Iowa. Will Phil P brings blitzes from all angles and do this often. A run blitz from the edge to the handoff point can force negative yardage on first down. Getting Nebby into 2nd and 3rd and long will be an important goal as always but especially with a novice qb who might not be a greatly accurate passer.

Will Campbell and the other linebackers be in constant zone pass coverage to keep and ey on this qb taking off to run? What about showing some double A gap blitz and alternate backing off, bringing one, or bringing two blitzers.

That blitz up the middle and making sure the DEnds maintain contain could be a great strategy. I hope we see the hawks attack on defense rather than sit back and play too much contain and lessen the pressure on the new qb.

PParker chose to cover Bell one on one most of the game and that was a disaster as we had zero pressure on the QB. In hindsight more blitzing against Purdue and some double coverage on Bell might have been a lot better by making their qb release the pass quick and less accurately or making the qb tuck the ball and throw off any timing.

OSU, Minny, and a couple of other teams shut down Bell pretty well to really good. Bell only had about 50 yards receiving against Wisky the next week probably because Wisky got a lot of pressure on the qb (purdue's first drop back in that game was a 10 yard sack) and maybe Wisky doubled Bell.