Marquette win looking really good for Iowa!

Past ... more concerned about getting the win against Nebby. After such a stellar week, this is exactly the type of game Iowa has a tendency to lose.

Past ... more concerned about getting the win against Nebby. After such a stellar week, this is exactly the type of game Iowa has a tendency to lose.

Somebody pee in your Wheaties today? Geez... every game counts - including the PAST wins that help the RPI...

Saw that too. Huge win for them and helps iowa. Wichita state is getting healthier too and 2-0 in conference. Hopefully they can storm through the mvc.

And ISU and Dayton are ranked so those losses won't hurt us in the slightest. Same with the ND loss since ND will make the NCAA tourney yet again.

I watched a lot of this game and I think we beat Marquette by 15 if we played now....they didn't even look all that great and took down a top 10 team. I like our team more and more with each game. We have 3 big time players...or big game players...woody and Clemmons for hustle def and toughness...uhl and baer off the bench...boy if not for the big injury this year....wow

Iowa #15 on the ESPN RPI this morning.

Yes, Marquette's win helps! The better our opponents are, the better it is for Iowa. No doubt about that.

I watched a lot of this game and I think we beat Marquette by 15 if we played now....they didn't even look all that great and took down a top 10 team. I like our team more and more with each game. We have 3 big time players...or big game players...woody and Clemmons for hustle def and toughness...uhl and baer off the bench...boy if not for the big injury this year....wow

Without the injury I'm not sure Baer gets enough minutes to "emerge" and contribute at his current rate.

Side Note - After these first 8 conference games I suspect we will see more of the true freshmen. Our schedule is so tough right now that there aren't many blowout minutes available late in the games.

Without the injury I'm not sure Baer gets enough minutes to "emerge" and contribute at his current rate.

Side Note - After these first 8 conference games I suspect we will see more of the true freshmen. Our schedule is so tough right now that there aren't many blowout minutes available late in the games.

Unfortunately as a Hawkeye fan I have been conditioned to not hope for blowouts and just wins. Seems like no matter how good the team, in basketball or football, they play at the level of competition repeatedly. They are just as likely to beat a cellar team by 5 as they are a top ten team. Lots of ups and downs, keeps us all on edge, Life as a Hawkeye.

You're thinking only of football. Ever since McCaffrey took over the program, we pretty consistently blow out inferior opponents. That's one of the reasons are computer ranking is so high. Compare that to football, where the computers did not like us this season. I think it's style of play. McCaffrey teams get a lot of steals and fast breaks that tend to lead to beat downs. Sure, we occasionally play a close game against a team like Drake, but we also killed Marquette and handily beat MSU.

Unfortunately as a Hawkeye fan I have been conditioned to not hope for blowouts and just wins. Seems like no matter how good the team, in basketball or football, they play at the level of competition repeatedly. They are just as likely to beat a cellar team by 5 as they are a top ten team. Lots of ups and downs, keeps us all on edge, Life as a Hawkeye.

The basketball team's average margin of victory (based on the 12 wins only) is over 18 points per game for the season. That's a pretty large margin of victory. We still play home games against Michigan, Northwestern, Penn State, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Indiana. We have road games at Rutgers, Illinois and Penn State. I have to think at least 6 out of these 9 games will be well enough in hand that Flemming and Williams can get some playing time.

I don't mean to pick on you in particular, but your comment reflects a common attitude on these boards. So many seem to feel pessimistic about Iowa basketball in general. I would argue it is quite normal for good teams to not only scrape by against lesser competition, but to lose to it occasionally. It happens.

Just for fun, go to Hammer and Rails and read their comments after the Iowa game. A lot of "30 years of let downs" type of commentary. It's interesting to me considering the success they have had over the years.

Maybe some will never be happy?

I don't mean to pick on you in particular, but your comment reflects a common attitude on these boards. So many seem to feel pessimistic about Iowa basketball in general. I would argue it is quite normal for good teams to not only scrape by against lesser competition, but to lose to it occasionally. It happens.

Just for fun, go to Hammer and Rails and read their comments after the Iowa game. A lot of "30 years of let downs" type of commentary. It's interesting to me considering the success they have had over the years.

iowa played mediocre vs nebraska and still outscored them by 21 points over 36 minutes. The rate in which we blow out opponents is fine. In conference play there aren't that many giant blow outs. Even in the lick days most of our bad road losses were in the teens and we were terrible.

Agree totally. I don't see any teams that bring their A game every single night and always win by 30. Even Kentucky last year - even though they were undefeated until the Final Four, they had a few very close calls.

Regarding the "30 years of let downs", I've always thought a lot of Purdue hoops, and if you think about Iowa hoops, I'm a little disappointed in just two Sweet 16's in the 28+ years since the 1986-87 team, but on the other hand, Tom Davis had us in the NCAA Tournament nearly every year, and never lost a first round game. Although we would all like more, things were pretty good and I enjoyed the product. They made a change because that wasn't good enough, and we ended up with Alford & Lick. Yikes. We're only just now getting back to the point where I feel like this program is knocking on the door of being an annual NCAA participant again, after 10+ years of futility. Ah, that "next level".

I remember during the Alford years, Digger Phelps making a comment "That's not Iowa basketball". This program was well thought of about 15 years ago.

Agree totally. I don't see any teams that bring their A game every single night and always win by 30. Even Kentucky last year - even though they were undefeated until the Final Four, they had a few very close calls.

Regarding the "30 years of let downs", I've always thought a lot of Purdue hoops, and if you think about Iowa hoops, I'm a little disappointed in just two Sweet 16's in the 28+ years since the 1986-87 team, but on the other hand, Tom Davis had us in the NCAA Tournament nearly every year, and never lost a first round game. Although we would all like more, things were pretty good and I enjoyed the product. They made a change because that wasn't good enough, and we ended up with Alford & Lick. Yikes. We're only just now getting back to the point where I feel like this program is knocking on the door of being an annual NCAA participant again, after 10+ years of futility. Ah, that "next level".

I remember during the Alford years, Digger Phelps making a comment "That's not Iowa basketball". This program was well thought of about 15 years ago.

I think Fran gets us to the next level. I think we'll win a big ten championship under him and get to an elite 8. Could both happen this year.

The guy has coached up unrecognized talent and has got some sought after players. He has a system and a style and knows how to use it.

I really think this is the first team where he's completely had what he's wanted and we had good years before. I see us being a solid program for awhile.

And one could argue that losing Jones right before the ISU game had Iowa in a bit of a state of "confusion" while trying to reorganize the bench rotation. DJ was emerging as a legit 3 pnt scorer and rebounder. In a 1 point loss, you figure he is a factor. Now, I'm not saying he would have prevented the collapse, but Fran really didn't have the bench involved in the second half and, in my opinion, that was because he wasn't really sure who he could trust to score off the bench. Since then, Uhl and Baer have emerged, but they hadn't leading up to the ISU game.

Latest posts