Marek Dolejaz Vs Pat McCaffery

No shit. Thinking the same thing. Iowa might have the perfect team to play them. Iowa can be a horrible match-up for them.

If we played them tomorrow, JBo would get destroyed on defense. They'd have an open shot or drive off him every time down the court. That's not an indictment of JBo's defensive capabilities, as we've all seen that he was capable of significant improvement last season, but just the current state of his recovery. So I'm not sure how much he'd really help us unless we were relying on trading 2's for 3's.

That said, I think we have plenty of shooters if you include Nunge and Garza. If one of Evelyn, Toussaint, Connor, or Patrick can get it going consistently from outside, then I think we'll be a nightmare for any team. Not many have elite shooters at the 3 let alone competent ones at the 4 and 5. So the question is really if the second teamers will be able to keep the pressure on.

If we played them tomorrow, JBo would get destroyed on defense. They'd have an open shot or drive off him every time down the court. That's not an indictment of JBo's defensive capabilities, as we've all seen that he was capable of significant improvement last season, but just the current state of his recovery. So I'm not sure how much he'd really help us unless we were relying on trading 2's for 3's.

That said, I think we have plenty of shooters if you include Nunge and Garza. If one of Evelyn, Toussaint, Connor, or Patrick can get it going consistently from outside, then I think we'll be a nightmare for any team. Not many have elite shooters at the 3 let alone competent ones at the 4 and 5. So the question is really if the second teamers will be able to keep the pressure on.

I disagree. I think a lot of teams do at this point. I guess it's the fine line of defining very good vs elite. Having a 4 being able to pop out and hit it though is a bonus. Kriener, Garza and Nunge can all do that.

Scoring has never been a problem for these recent Fran teams. I don't see that being a problem this year either.

We're definitely a different team without Cook. Not sure if thats good or bad yet.

I do sorta wonder about JBO. If he were to redshirt then next year Iowa would be completely stacked (assuming Wieskamp stays). They'd only lose Kriener and Evelyn and guys would get tons of minutes this year without JBO.

I disagree. I think a lot of teams do at this point. I guess it's the fine line of defining very good vs elite. Having a 4 being able to pop out and hit it though is a bonus. Kriener, Garza and Nunge can all do that.

There are exactly 2 returning SFs in the B1G that shoot over 40% from 3, Isaiah Livers of Michigan, and Joe Wieskamp. Livers shot the same % as Wieskamp but on slightly less volume. Also, he did it as a sophomore rather than as a true freshman (Livers shot 35% as a freshman). Make no mistake, Wieskamp is an elite shooter and the best shooting small forward in the B1G.

Nunge and Garza may also end up being very good shooters for their positions, but we'll have to see how that pans out as Garza did take a dip to 29% last year and while Nunge shot well in high school and okay as a freshman, he hasn't done it consistently yet. As for Kriener, I don't think he's ever shown himself to be a capable shooter from long range. Serviceable, sure, but I don't get the feeling he's going to wake up this season and scorch the nets.

There are exactly 2 returning SFs in the B1G that shoot over 40% from 3, Isaiah Livers of Michigan, and Joe Wieskamp. Livers shot the same % as Wieskamp but on slightly less volume. Also, he did it as a sophomore rather than as a true freshman (Livers shot 35% as a freshman). Make no mistake, Wieskamp is an elite shooter and the best shooting small forward in the B1G.

Nunge and Garza may also end up being very good shooters for their positions, but we'll have to see how that pans out as Garza did take a dip to 29% last year and while Nunge shot well in high school and okay as a freshman, he hasn't done it consistently yet. As for Kriener, I don't think he's ever shown himself to be a capable shooter from long range. Serviceable, sure, but I don't get the feeling he's going to wake up this season and scorch the nets.

If Bohannon plays and CJ is the shooter he's supposed to be, we might have the best shooting 1,2, and 3 in the conference. Possibly even the best shooting 5. Those are obviously two ifs. But that's crazy if it happens.

I had tempered my expectations for him because he needed to add weight and strength, and I thought his 3pt shot needed some work.

Reportedly he’s been shooting it really well in practice. We will see how that translates. If he can shoot it something like 36% from 3.
He shot 45% his senior year in high school IIRC

He shot 45% his senior year in high school IIRC

After shooting 26.2% as a junior. He's been all over the place. I'd bet on high 20's or low 30's this year unless he can really settle in and take what's given to him. I'd be all for him doing a lot of what's in the last half of this video though:

After shooting 26.2% as a junior. He's been all over the place. I'd bet on high 20's or low 30's this year unless he can really settle in and take what's given to him. I'd be all for him doing a lot of what's in the last half of this video though:

Been all over the place? He spent the offseason after his junior year working with Speraw on his 3 point shot and it showed, I'd call it improvement, not all over the place.

That Connor to PMac transition dunk was pretty neat, thanks for sharing

Been all over the place? He spent the offseason after his junior year working with Speraw on his 3 point shot and it showed, I'd call it improvement, not all over the place.

If you get a chance to go to the game tonight or if BTN shows it, watch the shootaround and focus on Pat, you'll see what I mean. I love his post moves and athleticism and fully believe the shot will get there, maybe even later this season, but I just don't see the consistency/fluidity yet. And FWIW, Connor also worked with Speraw and shot 40% his senior year of high school too.

Take a look at Patrick's square shoulders. That is a sign of strength and flexibility for a big man (think Kevin McHale or Dirk Nowitzki). I think he'll do just fine, especially as he grows into his body.

No, Patrick's size is NOT being over blown. Just because we can find an exception it doesn't mean the same thing applies to Patrick. He needs to add muscle to his frame to be able to compete in the B10. Sure we can dig through history and always find exceptions and there is a slim chance (and I mean SLIM) Patrick could be an exception.

No, Patrick's size is NOT being over blown. Just because we can find an exception it doesn't mean the same thing applies to Patrick. He needs to add muscle to his frame to be able to compete in the B10. Sure we can dig through history and always find exceptions and there is a slim chance (and I mean SLIM) Patrick could be an exception.

Not true. Everyone knows he will be a better player if he's bigger. But that's not the same as saying he needs to be bigger to be good.

Latest posts