Marek Dolejaz Vs Pat McCaffery

NikeHawk21

Was looking at Syracuse’s box score from last night and Dolejaz was one name I recognized. He’s a junior.

He’s listed at 6’10 / 185
Parick is listed at 6’9 / 190

So I guess the point is maybe the weight thing for Pat is being a little overblown. Certainly needs to get stronger but he seems athletic enough to play the 3 where it should be an issue, especially in zone.

Also I know Virginia is tough but looking at the box score and who they have I think Iowa should be able to compete even at the carrier dome. Buddy Boeheim played big minutes for them. On paper they don’t look that impressive, and I think Iowa has the shooters to make them pay in the zone.

Was looking at Syracuse’s box score from last night and Dolejaz was one name I recognized. He’s a junior.

So I guess the point is maybe the weight thing for Pat is being a little overblown. Certainly needs to get stronger but he seems athletic enough to play the 3 where it should be an issue, especially in zone.

Also I know Virginia is tough but looking at the box score and who they have I think Iowa should be able to compete even at the carrier dome. Buddy Boeheim played big minutes for them. On paper they don’t look that impressive, and I think Iowa has the shooters to make them pay in the zone.

Pat's weight definitely gets overblown. He can play ball and will be a solid contributor this year. That said, it is brought up for good reason. Him trying to defend the likes of a Tyler Cook would not be good. Fran will have to pick his spots when he plays Pat at the 4. I don't expect him to be there much though as he'll mostly be backing up Joe W / playing the 3.

It is sooooo overblown. He's skinny, get over it. He will be a really good Hawk for the next four years. I do agree playing him at the 4, at least on defense, is a bad idea. Hell, I would move Conner down to cover a 4 and let Patrick guard the point if it came to that.

I have said it before and I will say it again, people hate on Patrick because of his last name. A skinny 4 star kid named Patrick Jacobson? Everyone be screaming for him to start......

It is sooooo overblown. He's skinny, get over it. He will be a really good Hawk for the next four years. I do agree playing him at the 4, at least on defense, is a bad idea. Hell, I would move Conner down to cover a 4 and let Patrick guard the point if it came to that.

I have said it before and I will say it again, people hate on Patrick because of his last name. A skinny 4 star kid named Patrick Jacobson? Everyone be screaming for him to start......
I think you’re overblowing people hating on Patrick. I haven’t seen much of that. The reason ppl aren’t screaming for him to start is because his position happens to be occupied by arguably the best player on the team.

I had tempered my expectations for him because he needed to add weight and strength, and I thought his 3pt shot needed some work. Basically I said I didn’t think he was an instant impact 4* type given those two shortcomings.

Reportedly he’s been shooting it really well in practice. We will see how that translates. If he can shoot it something like 36% from 3, I think he will be a high quality player for us this year. His height/ length, athleticism, and ability to handle the ball are all pluses.

That game is a month away but looking at their roster they play a bunch of second or third year guys who have been career like 4-6 point scorers.

If Jbo plays with Weiskamp and CJF, we should have plenty of snipers to attack their zone.

It's not the skininess per se, it's the lack of strength that can come with the skininess.

There are success stories of dudes who were skinny but produced both in college and the NBA.

I think you’re overblowing people hating on Patrick. I haven’t seen much of that. The reason ppl aren’t screaming for him to start is because his position happens to be occupied by arguably the best player on the team.

I had tempered my expectations for him because he needed to add weight and strength, and I thought his 3pt shot needed some work. Basically I said I didn’t think he was an instant impact 4* type given those two shortcomings.

Reportedly he’s been shooting it really well in practice. We will see how that translates. If he can shoot it something like 36% from 3, I think he will be a high quality player for us this year. His height/ length, athleticism, and ability to handle the ball are all pluses.

Patrick passes well and is quick getting down the floor

He is dangerous taking it inside

When PMac and JoeW are in the game we will have a lot of scoring potential

With Fredrick in the game also we should be quite difficult to stop

And I anticipate Garza drawing traffic inside

At least I hope so

Really looking forward to this season

:cool:

I have no problem seeing Patrick at the 4 spot when going against teams using a 4 guard line-up. He would be a matchup problem in that situation.

Sidenote: I think Bohannon plays this year. I think Fran will bring him along slowly until he’s back to his normal self. He is too competitive to sit and watch all season and he doesn’t trust the NCAA to give him an extra year of eligibility if he did decide to sit. Bohannon would be an invaluable piece down the stretch and could be the difference between going to the Tournament or the N.I.T.

I see this team maybe struggling early in the season with so many new pieces. But I also see them gelling at just the right time to make a good run to the NCAA tourney. They do have talent and depth and could end up being the best outside shooting team ever at Iowa.

At least I hope so

I’m certainly more excited for Pat after watching the exhibition but I think people need to pump the breaks on Pat being a high level scorer. He had 12 points on 12 shots. 3 were transition dunks / alley oops.

I think he will bring some nice things to the table but I don’t think he’s going to be a big scorer for us. The good news is we don’t need him to score that much.

I’m certainly more excited for Pat after watching the exhibition but I think people need to pump the breaks on Pat being a high level scorer. He had 12 points on 12 shots. 3 were transition dunks / alley oops.

I think he will bring some nice things to the table but I don’t think he’s going to be a big scorer for us. The good news is we don’t need him to score that much.

I agree he probably won't score a lot, but I see it a little different than you. I see it that he had 12 points on a night where his shot wasn't falling. He plays that exact same game next time, but makes 2 of his 3s, he has an 18 point night. I think he looked like a big time scorer last night (probably 5th best on the team). The problem is it was against a bad team. That's the only reason I'm skeptical. To me it has nothing to do with his shots not falling. I'm more impressed with how he got his shots off. Pretty damn easy. Again, it was a bad team tho.

There are plenty that are convinced that he will be good against small schools but unusable in big ten.

There are plenty that are convinced that he will be good against small schools but unusable in big ten.

I'm not sure such a player exists. If you're good against small schools, "unusable" is too low of a floor against big 10. Especially since at least 1/3 of the conference sucks this year. He's gunna get out fought for rebounds (just like Garza gets out jumped and out quicker for rebounds). He's gunna get abused occasionally 1 on 1 by a stronger player (just like most of the team gets abused sometimes by quicker players. He's just like every other player on the team (minus Wieskamp), he has some pros and he has some cons. Overall I think he will be a plus player as early as this year.

That game is a month away but looking at their roster they play a bunch of second or third year guys who have been career like 4-6 point scorers.

If Jbo plays with Weiskamp and CJF, we should have plenty of snipers to attack their zone.

Sharp, accurate and most importantly, timely passes, followed by split-second decisions: [should I pass or shoot?] are the way to defeat the famous Syracuse zone. It should already be in the mind of the receiver of the pass, as to what he should do with a caught pass.

At least I hope so

That. I would add only 1 other observation: I truly believe we may have one of the most talented and deepest benches in the league. Very little drop off in talent with the subs is priceless in this league! I believe we can finish 4th in conf. play and win 2 games in both the BTT and the NCAA. I hope we land a 5 seed in March.

Where Patrick is gonna shine this year is in transition. He can get up and down the floor. It will take a couple of years of adding muscle before he can make a big impact in the half court game.

Whar hate? Whar?

No shit. Thinking the same thing. Iowa might have the perfect team to play them. Iowa can be a horrible match-up for them.