Marcus Paige

koolhandlick

According to post on TOB Bruce Weber is now entered the recruiting and Marcus will take visit to ILL. next week. I don't know if this rumor has legs but it's out there

Who here actually thinks Marcus is going to end up a Hawkeye anyway? I think the chances are pretty slim at this point, as they are with most of the best upcoming instate talent.
As long as the Hawkeye b-ball program continues to stink the best instate kids will look elsewhere. At first there was some optimism when Lick was new to the Hawkeye basketball program, but after bad seasons and Lick's job security in question kids are wary of committing to Iowa.
If you were Marcus why would you commit to Iowa right now? Iowa has been among the worst teams in Big Ten and the nation for that matter for the last three seasons. There is no real proof that they are going to get any better in the future, AND if Marcus did commit to Lickliter there is no guarantee that Lickliter will be the coach when he actually starts his college career.
With all of that uncertainty compiled with a terrible three year stretch it doesn't make Iowa an attractive option. Add the fact that Marcus has been to a few games this season and has witnessed first hand the lack of fan support, well...cross your fingers, but he probably won't be a Hawkeye.

Marcus is a 2012 recruit. He will not be signing a LOI until November of 2011. A lot can happen by then. If Iowa has a big turnaround next year and makes the NCAA ,that could affect his decision. If Iowa craps out and hires a new coach after next year, that would still be in time for Marcus to assess the new coach.

It depends if Marcus is a big Hawk fan or not. If I was good enough to play I would play for the Hawks no matter who the coach was.

Much like Gatens... I don't think it would have mattered to him either.
FWIW, I had the chance to go to hs basketball game Friday night and was told by an AAU guy I know that Marcus "wants nothing to do with that system".

This guy usually knows his stuff, I don't usually talk hoops with him but I brought up Marcus Paige and thats what he told me.

I often thought so myself because of the Hawk fan I am. But I am not sure I would play for big lick if I were an outstanding high school player.

big lick's system is horrendous and if I were a tremendous player I probably wouldn't come here to play for the man and I never thought I would ever say something like that. But I could never play for Lickliter and I'm not sure I would want my son to play for the guy.

If my son were quite good and had NBA aspirations, Lickliter would be the last coach to put him in the NBA so why would you want to ruin your kid's potential career possibilities by having him play for Lickliter?

That is a definite drawback IMO.... A definite drawback. And a definite reason Lickliter will never get kids like Turner and probably Paige. The kids have too much to lose by playing for Lickliter.

I disagree, why wouldn't a point guard want to come to Iowa with Lick as coach? The ball is in your hands most of the time. The problem hasn't been the system, its been the talent. Even Peterson, who I would say had average talent averaged double figures his soph. year. and Kelly excelled when he took over the point last year. A good point guard would make everyone else better.

20 years ago kids from Iowa went to Iowa just to be Hawkeyes. I would have if I were good enough to. Kids don't do that now, they think they need to go to a program because of status which I think is ridiculous, but thats they way it is. If my children are ever good enough to play college athletics they would be hawkeyes.

If Marcus grew up a Hawkeye fan and is a true Hawk then there should be a shot to land him.

Talented players want to play fast....that is how they play in AAU,in HS,and on the playground. For a talented recruit to come to watch Iowa games cannot be a good selling point. It is simply contra-intuitive to expect a talented athletic recruit,who has options to play fast at other big ten schools,to ignore all that and come to Iowa and play in this system. And I believe that down deep, Lick does not want those kinds of players because he knows they will end up being frustrated and unhappy which is just more problems for him.
I do not think he made much of an effort to keep Tyler Smith, Tony Freeman,Jeff Peterson, or Jermain Davis for this reason. Half-hearted attempts to recruit Harrison Barnes...same deal. Targeting what I call ''suburban players'' like Payne,Brust,McCabe,Larson,Cougill,Brommer and Tucker is his MO....he thinks in the long run these kids will be just happy to be at a Big Ten school,and willing to submit to his style, taking all the natural joy of playing the game out of it is the price they will be willing to pay. He is probably right on that front...so all those Ronnie Lester-type recruits out there like Chasson Randle and Marcus Paige? Sadly, unlikely to fit in at Iowa while Lick is the coach.

Talented players want to play fast....that is how they play in AAU,in HS,and on the playground. For a talented recruit to come to watch Iowa games cannot be a good selling point. It is simply contra-intuitive to expect a talented athletic recruit,who has options to play fast at other big ten schools,to ignore all that and come to Iowa and play in this system. And I believe that down deep, Lick does not want those kinds of players because he knows they will end up being frustrated and unhappy which is just more problems for him.
I do not think he made much of an effort to keep Tyler Smith, Tony Freeman,Jeff Peterson, or Jermain Davis for this reason. Half-hearted attempts to recruit Harrison Barnes...same deal. Targeting what I call ''suburban players'' like Payne,Brust,McCabe,Larson,Cougill,Brommer and Tucker is his MO....he thinks in the long run these kids will be just happy to be at a Big Ten school,and willing to submit to his style, taking all the natural joy of playing the game out of it is the price they will be willing to pay. He is probably right on that front...so all those Ronnie Lester-type recruits out there like Chasson Randle and Marcus Paige? Sadly, unlikely to fit in at Iowa while Lick is the coach.

Wow.

20 years ago kids from Iowa went to Iowa just to be Hawkeyes. I would have if I were good enough to. Kids don't do that now, they think they need to go to a program because of status which I think is ridiculous, but thats they way it is. If my children are ever good enough to play college athletics they would be hawkeyes.

If Marcus grew up a Hawkeye fan and is a true Hawk then there should be a shot to land him.

Twenty years ago Iowa was a meaningful program in the country. Today we are sitting at the bottom of the Big10, playing boring basketball. Don't get me wrong, if I was a 17 year old kid who grew up in Iowa and loved the Hawkeyes then Iowa would certainly be in consideration but I would be hard pressed to sign at Iowa over an MSU, Wisky or OSU if they were recruiting me.

Don't blame the kids for wanting to go to an attractive program, blame the program for not being an attractive place to play.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Iowa's only chance is if Lickliter changes his system or Iowa hires a new coach. I know the family.

With all due respect, I most certainly do know what I am talking about. I don't know whether we get him or not but we have a shot.

With all due respect, I most certainly do know what I am talking about. I don't know whether we get him or not but we have a shot.

With all due respect you were telling people that Iowa had Armstead locked up last spring when in reality he had no idea what conference Iowa was in and never visited.

I have heard directly from Marcus and his father that Marcus does not want to play in Coach Lickliter's system.

Latest posts