Marcel Joly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree.

I do believe that there are some racially driven problems at Iowa, and bad ones. I also tend to believe Kallenberger because he provided a lot of details that could (and hopefully will be) corroborated by other players in the room, and he gave details that, if they weren't true, would have been quashed pretty quickly.

But...

Coaching temper tantrums are not the same thing as racial statements/intimidation and abuse like what Kallenberger got. It's a general loss of control that, even though it's not a great look or confidence builder, isn't usually aimed at someone because they're black.

If the garbage can thing was as bad as you say it was then Fran needs to get thrown in Rockwell City's prison for at least 15 years.

Have the dipshits whining about the garbage can getting kicked ever watched an Iowa basketball game for F's sake?

If the garbage can thing was as bad as they say it was then Fran needs to get thrown in Rockwell City's prison for at least 15 years.

tenor.gif

CourageousFrightenedGannet-size_restricted.gif

BB_OlS2CQAAGOli.jpg

As compared to Lickliter who seemed asleep on the bench.

Played all HS and through college 20 years of coaching. I'm not saying there wasn't a certain degree of premeditation behind it or an ulterior motive behind it. But I see it as a loss of control simply for the fact that you can't control what occurs after that moment. We both know if a coach throws that sort of tantrum at a youth sporting event or at the high school level they're lucky if they aren't ejected. If I took a chair to a gym floor like Fran did, ejection or not, I'm lucky if I still have a job.
If Brian did this in a public venue, maybe.

But at a practice where according to several players, they kept screwing up?

I don't have the length of your coaching experience, but I have played and coached in HS and college, and that reaction is commonplace, and imo really not that bad.

If Brian did this in a public venue, maybe.

But at a practice where according to several players, they kept screwing up?

I don't have the length of your coaching experience, but I have played and coached in HS and college, and that reaction is commonplace, and imo really not that bad.

I think you have a great point as I made the comment as a basic blanket statement covering all different levels rather than looking at it from the context of occurring at the collegiate level. Youth sports it would definitely be crossing the line. That said its never a great look as it affects your credibility if you have a history of outbursts and are later accused of misconduct.

Joly, the Haitian Prince, posted a video of BF kicking a garbage can, tweeted it @ his buddy Rob Howe and BF. Yes kicked a garbage can, how dare that coach. Rob got mad because fans were calling Joly soft, rightfully so and went full recruiting coordinator saying these recruits are seeing this. Between Akrum Wadley’s mom defending a 25 year old 2 years later, Robs agenda pushing, and garbage cans having feelings....this shit is comical and recruits probably see that too. They probably also see one sided reporting;)

It’s rich for a media member to say fans are hurting recruiting by being critical of a former player (who never saw the field) meanwhile a media member with 40k followers retweets every negative tweet about the program as if they are completely documented, corroborated events. Those tweets are far more damaging to recruits, than Joe Schmoe from rural iowa with 12 followers saying joly is soft. Retweeting sensationalized uncorroborated stories isn’t journalism, that’s national enquirer stuff. That’s what recruits see.

It’s rich for a media member to say fans are hurting recruiting by being critical of a former player (who never saw the field) meanwhile a media member with 40k followers retweets every negative tweet about the program as if they are completely documented, corroborated events. Those tweets are far more damaging to recruits, than Joe Schmoe from rural iowa with 12 followers saying joly is soft. Retweeting sensationalized uncorroborated stories isn’t journalism, that’s national enquirer stuff. That’s what recruits see.

I've already explained why I shared Tweets and posted them in a story on this site. You don't have to like it. And if there was nothing to the players' stories, they would have been dismissed and we wouldn't be here, would we? I'm not here to protect Iowa football or help them with recruiting. I'm not running up and down the sidelines with poms-poms while I'm taking pictures on Saturday.

Look at how many people Tweeted at Joly. It's not one person with 12 followers.

You don't the story involving Iowa football right now because you are a fan. Are you more worried about wins and losses or the alleged mistreatment of players?

I've already explained why I shared Tweets and posted them in a story on this site. You don't have to like it. And if there was nothing to the players' stories, they would have been dismissed and we wouldn't be here, would we? I'm not here to protect Iowa football or help them with recruiting. I'm not running up and down the sidelines with poms-poms while I'm taking pictures on Saturday.

Look at how many people Tweeted at Joly. It's not one person with 12 followers.

You don't the story involving Iowa football right now because you are a fan. Are you more worried about wins and losses or the alleged mistreatment of players?

I hate the story and I hate the idea of racial disparity in the Iowa program. My 2 sons are black and the idea of Doyle or any coach telling them he’s going to send them back to the streets is despicable. The issue is that some of these stories are fiction and they need to be parsed and separated and investigated each on their merits. If Amani hooker, James Daniels, geno, Mike daniels, or Greg Mabin says there are issues, I believe and trust them. However when a player says “KF came and spit at them and told them they would never make it at Iowa” because they listen to hip/hop, that obviously can’t be taken as seriously as James Daniels for instance.

when DJK is taken as seriously as Faith ekakatie or Jaleel Johnson, that’s a problem and recruits don’t understand that.

Last edited:
I hate the story and I hate the idea of racial disparity in the Iowa program. My 2 sons are black and the idea of Doyle or any coach telling them he’s going to send them back to the streets is despicable. The issue is that some of these stories are fiction and they need to be parsed and separated and investigated each on their merits. If Amani hooker, James Daniels, geno, Mike daniels, or Greg Mabin says there are issues, I believe and trust them. However when a player says “KF came and spit at them and told them they would never make it at Iowa” because they listen to hip/hop, that obviously can’t be taken as seriously as James Daniels for instance.

when DJK is taken as seriously as Jaleel
Johnson, that’s a problem.

So you want to decide who is credible and who isn't? Because a guy isn't in the NFL and transferred from here, he's not credible? I asked UI to comment on DJK. I asked it to comment on Reggie Spearman. I asked KF about Morrow's comment. There are over 50 players that told stories. Who is credible and who isn't?

They'll be an investigation and hopefully that gets to the root of the issues. But plenty of it is he-said, he-said. It's not going to be proven one way or the other.

So you want to decide who is credible and who isn't? Because a guy isn't in the NFL and transferred from here, he's not credible? I asked UI to comment on DJK. I asked it to comment on Reggie Spearman. I asked KF about Morrow's comment. There are over 50 players that told stories. Who is credible and who isn't?

They'll be an investigation and hopefully that gets to the root of the issues. But plenty of it is he-said, he-said. It's not going to be proven one way or the other.

Look, I agree, there is no way to prove anything with complete certainty. Especially for the average fan. However I think that needs to be realized.

Yes, I do trust James Daniels or Jaleel more than I trust akrum wadleys mom. Simply because one is monetizing and one isn’t. These NFL guys are millionaires or close to it, there isn’t a sour grape angle to consider with them.

Look, I agree, there is no way to prove anything with complete certainty. Especially for the average fan. However I think that needs to be realized.

Yes, I do trust James Daniels or Jaleel more than I trust akrum wadleys mom. Simply because one is monetizing and one isn’t. These NFL guys are millionaires or close to it, there isn’t a sour grape angle to consider with them.

I think there are plenty of folks who view it what way. And I'm not saying they're wrong. I'm also not saying they're right. I just don't know.

I agree that the NFL guys are the ones who legitimized the cause in the court of public opinion. I just don't think that means, for me, that I can dismiss the other stories. Again, I don't know.

Joly and Fleming graduated from Iowa. Heck, Jack Kallenberger's allegation against Wallace was as heartbreaking as any I heard or read.

I'm really hoping we get some answers from this investigation. But, again, it may end up being who each of us chooses to believe in a he-said, he-said.

Good one.
Glad someone gets it...

So we have gotten a fairly in-depth, first-hand account of how the program runs from 3 white players (the WUWs). I would really like to hear some of the black players speak their mind. I am not sure if any of you have caught the All The Smoke podcast hosted by former NBA players Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson, but it is really good. They talk to pro athletes from all different sports about issues both professional and personal. @RobHowe , maybe you can reach out to some of the NFL Hawks and mention that as a potential venue to share their experiences?

Recruits from different cultures probably just want to know if it's an inclusive culture. They are young. They want to belong.

I think Iowa is doing the right things right now

I think there are plenty of folks who view it what way. And I'm not saying they're wrong. I'm also not saying they're right. I just don't know.

I agree that the NFL guys are the ones who legitimized the cause in the court of public opinion. I just don't think that means, for me, that I can dismiss the other stories. Again, I don't know.

Joly and Fleming graduated from Iowa. Heck, Jack Kallenberger's allegation against Wallace was as heartbreaking as any I heard or read.

I'm really hoping we get some answers from this investigation. But, again, it may end up being who each of us chooses to believe in a he-said, he-said.

I just hope we listen with open minds. All of us. Myself included.

Seems like most have their minds made up already. When does that ever happen?

So we have gotten a fairly in-depth, first-hand account of how the program runs from 3 white players (the WUWs). I would really like to hear some of the black players speak their mind. I am not sure if any of you have caught the All The Smoke podcast hosted by former NBA players Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson, but it is really good. They talk to pro athletes from all different sports about issues both professional and personal. @RobHowe , maybe you can reach out to some of the NFL Hawks and mention that as a potential venue to share their experiences?

Yes. Maybe this is just a time to listen and learn

Yes. Maybe this is just a time to listen and learn
I see a lot of listen and learn posts, and I've done a LOT of listening, but there really isn't much to learn. Seriously, what is there to learn? That black people are the minority and white people see them different? Well no shit. Everyone already knows that, just like they know black people see white people different. Was I supposed to learn that black culture has nothing to do with how black people are viewed by white people? Because I've learned just the opposite. Was I supposed to learn that the police killed black people at an alarming rate? Because I learned just the opposite? Was I supposed to learn that all black people feel the same way about everything? Because I learned just the opposite. I've learned quite a bit over the last few weeks. Does it count as educating myself if I still don't have the exact same views as the left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts