Marble's Replacement?

Yep a Top 150 prospect being a recruiting failure if he is the best option, not sure how that works...please explain it to me.

Please know I don't think Oglesby is a failure. I believe he has accepted and played his part as a sharpshooting role player quite well. His performance in the first half of the Minnesota game was excellent!

What I meant by "recruiting failure" is it doesn't seem like we have anyone on our roster or in our recruiting class that has Marble's skillset. I think we know what Oglesby is, and Jok not playing meaningful minutes since December doesn't inspire confidence that he's ready for B1G level basketball.

Please know I don't think Oglesby is a failure. I believe he has accepted and played his part as a sharpshooting role player quite well. His performance in the first half of the Minnesota game was excellent!

What I meant by "recruiting failure" is it doesn't seem like we have anyone on our roster or in our recruiting class that has Marble's skillset. I think we know what Oglesby is, and Jok not playing meaningful minutes since December doesn't inspire confidence that he's ready for B1G level basketball.

I guess my only answer to that is, look at where Marble was three years ago...did you think he would become this player after his freshman year?

Jok is far ahead of where Marble was as a freshman, but the situation is a bit different today than three years ago. I don't worry about next year, until it gets here, but as long as we are doing hypotheticals, Iowa won't have to have a player in the mold of Marble as I think Iowa's big men and PG are going to dominate the team and everyone else will be a role player, like this season.

Gesell will be a star and essential, but lacks Devyn's height.....

He will be huge for us.....

:cool:

One of the most enjoyable parts of Iowa basketball this year is watching the development of Gesell. He seems to be playing with a lot of confidence right now.

Yep, Gesell reminds me of Drew Neitzel of MSU from a few years back. Neitzel made a big scoring jump from his soph to junior year as he went from being a secondary scoring option to one of the main guys, I see Mike making a big jump next year too.
I hope Mike grows some.... 5'11" to at least 6'1". And has some hops.

One of the most enjoyable parts of Iowa basketball this year is watching the development of Gesell. He seems to be playing with a lot of confidence right now.

Woody too. It's crazy how you can tell just by watching that he's gaining confidence. His intensity and effort are so high right now.

Say we do get Atwood and Dickerson. With Uhl and Ellingson also coming in and our remaining lineup. Does Fran redshirt anyone, aside from injury?

Ellingson can flat out score in high school ball. Jok could too, but I believe Ellingson plays better competition.

Dickerson is already 1 year behind gesell and clemmons. This would space out pg's a little more, but Fran is after a pg next year.

Atwood seems ready to play.

Uhl has some stiff competition for minutes at his 3/4 positions.

We aren't going to replace Marble. Devyn is a highly unusual player in that he can handle the ball, distribute, shoot over defenders, drive and post up. You don't replace that.

Look for players next year to have more clearly defined roles. We're going to replace Devyn through more structure in the half-court. Mike will replace his ball-handling and dribble-drive. White will replace his slashing. Oglesby, Jok and Ellingson will replace his outside shooting.

It takes a village.

We're going to be very good for the next two years, by the way.

Excellent post and captures most of my thoughts...of course, since it captures most of my thoughts I think its excellent ;)

Iowa is going to have perhaps more of a pronounced inside-out game next year, if they don't add anymore players. If they bring in an Atwood, this team will be able to obliterate other teams in the paint and every one of Iowa's big men will be able to run the floor.

Jok won't have to come in and carry the load; just go for 7 to 8ppg...Oglesby will scored more, but in the 8 to 9 range...the new sniper can come in and hit a few shots.

It will be interesting to see what they can do with spring signing, but even if they don't get anyone, this team will be fun to watch next year too and some will sleep on them at their own peril.

Uthoff is a huge wildcard...can he become more assertive? If he can, he has a skill set that I just dont remember any Iowa player having. Not saying that makes him better than any past players, just saying he can do a ton offensively.

Uthoff is a huge wildcard...can he become more assertive? If he can, he has a skill set that I just dont remember any Iowa player having. Not saying that makes him better than any past players, just saying he can do a ton offensively.

Honestly, he reminds me of a much more physical version of Jim Bartles, but that is who he reminds me of the most and when Jim got aggressive, he turned into a nice player. I do, however, think Uthoff can be much, much better in the long run.

Agree with your thoughts on Uthoff Jon. When he's aggressive he's shown signs of what he could become. Which, I feel, is one of the best players in the B1G. If he maximizes his potential it's going to be a fun couple of years!!!

Agree with your thoughts on Uthoff Jon. When he's aggressive he's shown signs of what he could become. Which, I feel, is one of the best players in the B1G. If he maximizes his potential it's going to be a fun couple of years!!!

I still think Uthoff has the skill set to be a very SIMILAR player to what Marble can do.. Seems to be able to handle the ball and drive to the basket, and can shoot it from the outside. Definitely not a 1-dimensional player IMO.

I thought today was Jarrod's best game in a loonnngggg time; he pulled a few (tough) rebounds down and guarded. The offensive stuff will come: I feel he has been lacking in those two departments.

Other random thoughts:

Fran has slightly altered his rotation, allowing White and Marble to play more until the 12:00 mark instead of the 15 mark.

Mike has become the starter that flip flops with Marble (meaning we have 1 ball handler/ scorer on the court).

These rotation changes were there in the Michigan game as well.

Last one: Mike has slightly adjusted his FT routine. He is now setting the ball in his shooting pocket, freezing, and then releasing. He is 3/4 from the line the past 2 games with his new routine. I hope he can trend more at 75% the rest of the year.

I would break it down a bit...where will Marble's 16-18 points per game come from? I have no doubt that Gesell, Uthoff, Ogelsby, will take up the slack. I think we will see Uthoff be stronger one on one attacking off the dribble; I think Gesell will be an improved a three point threat; I think Josh will continue as a "streak" shooter, which is, after all, the way Marble plays. White, the twin towers, Uthoff, will continue to dominate on the boards (but I fear we will miss Basabe) and will get their share of points. We will have a surprise or two...Jok? Ellingson? (he intrigues me)a Juco? BTW...I agree that Uthoff could be one of the best basketball players we have seen at Iowa in a long time. Sometimes the people I sit with at the games, we just look at each other and say, "Did Uthoff just do that? Did you see that? For real?"

He'll be something of a wildcard next year, but all-Big Ten as a senior is a virtual lock for Jarrod. I don't think it's that he lacks assertiveness so much as strength. Once he gets some man muscles he'll start blowing past people.

I tell you, when Gesell, Woodbury and Uthoff are seniors? Hide the hardware, Izzo.

Jack, every player can be replaced, Iowa has a roster that is built for the team to excel; not just one or two guys. Iowa has a bunch of "incompletes" when it comes to grading their individual players, but as a whole they are pretty special. That said, I believe the sophs make a big leap next year and Iowa has three really good players in that class, not to mention that White kid isn't too bad.

You are correct, Sportstalent, we will be able to replace him in scoring, passing, rebounding and defense with the talent we have. Gesell, Uthoff and Oglesby should be able to handle it. I guess what I meant was Devyn's unpredictability, much more prominent last season and at times this season nobody knows what he is going to do with the ball. He has a free form style. Uthoff has the same ability to be unpredictable also and I think we will see it as the season goes on and next season I expect very good things from him. No worries about Mike G, he is becoming an excellent guard. I like him playing more. We are a different team with him in the game. It would be nice to see Josh O rise to the level of his ability and shoot more. I don't think he will pass up so many shots next season.....

Mike's threes and ball handling were essential to the win today.....

:rolleyes:

Jok's going to be the next true scorer for Iowa, probably about the middle of his jr year.

This sounds right to me. He's going to require a lot of patience. His defense is just plain bad right now!

Lets be honest marble was just as bad on defense as a frosh and until this yr wasn't that great. And marble still goes through periods of lack of interest on defense. He never was lock down until this yr and has only been part time this yr.

Latest posts