Marble's Replacement?

CJSHawk

Good win for the Hawks today!

As I was watching the game today I couldn't help but wonder who'll be replacing Marble in the starting 5 next year. Olgesby is a decent player, but he's not a B1G starting caliber basketball player in my opinion. He's a good 3-point shooter, but doesn't seem to offer much else. Jok hasn't played much this year, and when you watch him play defense it's easy to see why. I know we have offers out to a Dickerson and Atwood, but neither plays Marbles position, and you'd have to think Brady Ellingson won't be ready to play meaningful minutes next year. McCaffrey said recently he'd be open to a transfer this spring. I'm thinking we could use a scoring guard transfer. Am I missing something or do we have a roster issue there?

We aren't going to replace Marble. Devyn is a highly unusual player in that he can handle the ball, distribute, shoot over defenders, drive and post up. You don't replace that.

Look for players next year to have more clearly defined roles. We're going to replace Devyn through more structure in the half-court. Mike will replace his ball-handling and dribble-drive. White will replace his slashing. Oglesby, Jok and Ellingson will replace his outside shooting.

It takes a village.

We're going to be very good for the next two years, by the way.

We're still playing with teams or even outplaying teams during the stretches where Marble struggles. Hard not to think we'll still succeed. Weird to feel positive about Iowa's future, I don't know if that's happened since Alford's early years because even though 05-06 was awesome there wasn't a lot to make me think it'd be sustained in any way.

Iowa won't have to "replace" Marble, so to speak. There are capable guys on this deep team that will have a better opportunity to show what they can do. Jok, Oglesby, Uthoff, Clemmons will be affected more than Ellingson. Gesell will emerge as an all-conference type player as well as Woodbury next season. Iowa will still have Aaron White leading the way so I think there are plenty of people with a lot of skill that will "replace" him.

To the OP, Ogelsby is a BIG caliber basketball player. The commentator Horn today said he is a very underrated and good defender. His shot is coming around, he looks comfortable this year. Also, Oglesby is a very good passer, I would like to see him be more aggressive and not pass up the 15 ft shot that I think he could hit in his sleep.

Iowa won't have to "replace" Marble, so to speak. There are capable guys on this deep team that will have a better opportunity to show what they can do. Jok, Oglesby, Uthoff, Clemmons will be affected more than Ellingson. Gesell will emerge as an all-conference type player as well as Woodbury next season. Iowa will still have Aaron White leading the way so I think there are plenty of people with a lot of skill that will "replace" him.

To the OP, Ogelsby is a BIG caliber basketball player. The commentator Horn today said he is a very underrated and good defender. His shot is coming around, he looks comfortable this year. Also, Oglesby is a very good passer, I would like to see him be more aggressive and not pass up the 15 ft shot that I think he could hit in his sleep.

OP said he's not starting caliber. Which is true. He's just one of the many pieces in our machine of awesomeness.

OP said he's not starting caliber. Which is true. He's just one of the many pieces in our machine of awesomeness.

I do believe he could be starting caliber next season, but maybe not for Iowa, not a knock on him, but it would not surprise me to see him start.

I do believe he could be starting caliber next season, but maybe not for Iowa, not a knock on him, but it would not surprise me to see him start.

With some confidence he could be. He strengths are very important in this game.

With some confidence he could be. He strengths are very important in this game.

The other thing I look at is he is probably just starting to get in really good basketball shape, so how he finishes this season will be more telling of what to expect out of the gate next season. I think his skills are very undervalued and always have been by the Iowa fanbase.

I disagree with the starting part. He is starting caliber, he just would be a step down from marble. I think jok will start next yr along with Uthoff because I think those guys will play better as starters than off the bench. While oglesby and olaseni have bring a lot off the bench. I expect oglesby to play more min than jok but jok to start as the rotations will work easier that way and I think there are some players that are better as starters, some better off the bench and some can do either. Jok and Uthoff I think are the first, olaseni is more the second, mad oglesby is the third. So I think that will help the team flow together better.

You know who replaces Marble next year?

Mike Gesell.

Yep, Gesell reminds me of Drew Neitzel of MSU from a few years back. Neitzel made a big scoring jump from his soph to junior year as he went from being a secondary scoring option to one of the main guys, I see Mike making a big jump next year too.

I agree with OP, that we will have a roster hole with Marble's graduation. We really lack shot creators, and by that I mean guys that can get their own shot against a set-defense.

We are going to need some guys to improve on that--Gessell, Uthoff (that step-back can be lethal), White, Woodbury/Oleasani have all shown flashes of being able to create their own shot. White often has to get his in the flow of the offense. But I think the big-man development will perhaps let us play even more inside-out, as both of those guys are starting to show positive one-on-one post moves.

I believe he's a B1G caliber basketball player too, but he is what he is. A good shooting, good passing, athletically-limited guard. If he's our best option at the scoring guard position next year I think that's a recruiting failure.

I believe he's a B1G caliber basketball player too, but he is what he is. A good shooting, good passing, athletically-limited guard. If he's our best option at the scoring guard position next year I think that's a recruiting failure.

Yep a Top 150 prospect being a recruiting failure if he is the best option, not sure how that works...please explain it to me.

I agree with OP, that we will have a roster hole with Marble's graduation. We really lack shot creators, and by that I mean guys that can get their own shot against a set-defense.

We are going to need some guys to improve on that--Gessell, Uthoff (that step-back can be lethal), White, Woodbury/Oleasani have all shown flashes of being able to create their own shot. White often has to get his in the flow of the offense. But I think the big-man development will perhaps let us play even more inside-out, as both of those guys are starting to show positive one-on-one post moves.

Gesell and Uthoff will be take Marble's role. Having two guys who are good at it will make us even more deadly. Best case scenario is that White still runs the floor like a beast (Woody too since he's starting to do it with regularity) and the Uthoff and Gesell gain the strength and confidence they need to be top level BIG talent. We have to potential to be deadly in the half court and fast break game, which means we could be a better team offensively then we are now.

If Uthoff can play to his ability and potential, it would certainly help with the problem. There is no replacing Devyn.....

:cool:

Jack, every player can be replaced, Iowa has a roster that is built for the team to excel; not just one or two guys. Iowa has a bunch of "incompletes" when it comes to grading their individual players, but as a whole they are pretty special. That said, I believe the sophs make a big leap next year and Iowa has three really good players in that class, not to mention that White kid isn't too bad.

Given enough of a green light I think Gesell can dribble plenty well to set up his screens and get any jumper he wants, and we know he can drive to the basket and get by his guy.

I also think that Uhtoff can get his shots.

White needs to really work on a stop and pop game as he either shots an open three or slashes to the basket or lane. At 6-9 I think he can really take some guys toward the basket and pull up for any 10-15 footer he wants.

Those are three guys I think will be able to carry the team.

Oglesby has the ability to drive from the wing to the FT line area and stop and pop

Latest posts