21 pts
4-11 two pt
1-1 3pt
10-11 ft's
2 stls
4 rbs
5 assts
2 TO
not bad for a kid people were writing off before the season began and even early into this season in favor of Oglesby
this kid need to start
5 out of last 6 he has scored in DBL figures
avg is now 9.5 ppg 2nd best on this team
3.1 asst
1.6 stls
Gatens is the leading scorer at 13.5 ppg

Last edited:
he definitely is showing his upside. too bad he's being forced into playing a different position, but maybe it will pay off in the long run and make him that much more of a complete player.

He definately has been playing great the past few games, the only thing I think he needs to work on is taking smart shots. A lot of times he throws stuff up rather than looking for an open teammate. Definatley improving drastically though.

i don't understand not taking smart shot nor do i understand the part about looking for teammates
avg's 3.1 asst a game
got 5 last night
he shot the ball 12 times and made 5 one a 3 pt shot
went 10-11 from the FT stripe
you are telling me he should only pass the ball?

Scoring 21 points on 12 shots is extremely efficient. He needs to keep developing the ability to get fouled. His size, body control, and ball skills should allow him to get fouled.

i don't understand not taking smart shot nor do i understand the part about looking for teammates
avg's 3.1 asst a game
got 5 last night
he shot the ball 12 times and made 5 one a 3 pt shot
went 10-11 from the FT stripe
you are telling me he should only pass the ball?

No, he's saying that in the instances where Marble just throws it up with little chance of making it, perhaps he should look for an open teammate instead. That much, I agree with. He's a scorer, but sometimes he just throws it up hoping to get a foul call, when he could have a teammate with a much better look.

Im starting to wonder if point isnt the best position for him. He reminds me a little of jake kelly in how he likes to create his offense with off the bounce and he would have more opportunities to do that at the point.

I wasn't saying he should pass it every time. If you watch for it (I agree it doesn't happen much now and he is better at it) he used to force a lot of stuff. And about goin 10/11 from the free throw line that is great, but historically he isn't the best free throw shooter so it is nice to see that he is improving from the free throw line too. Im not trying to say he is bad, he is improving. I'm more or less stating what I see improving in his game or what has changed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Marble will be the best player in his class and will be a difference maker for us as an upperclassman.

he is a 2
not a pt
he is a very good ball handler can drive and pop with a nice jump shot
he is also a very good defender
as for some of those shots you don't like they do lead to FT's
again you base your decisions off his Freshman season
this year he is averaging 73.3 % on 22 of 30 FTA
last year 53% on 35 of 66 FTA
what is wrong with waiting till someones Junior year before making a judgement on their ability

Marble does "force" a shot or two, but if his teammates continue to just stand and watch when he drives...he is bound to force a few shots. He is aggressive something the upperclassmen are not...

Marble may take some bad shots but at times he seems to be one of the few on our team that wants to shoot it. He is one of the few bright spots on this team. A bad shot is better than a shot clock violation.

Somebody has to volunteer for the beating, so I'll do it.
Stats accumulate, even on **** poor teams.

Marble had two good, stat-stuffer games.

Game 1- game goes -30 the last 35 minutes.
Game 2- game over in 15 minutes.

Somebody has to volunteer for the beating, so I'll do it.
Stats accumulate, even on **** poor teams.

Marble had two good, stat-stuffer games.

Game 1- game goes -30 the last 35 minutes.
Game 2- game over in 15 minutes.

I understand what you are saying, but it would hold true if Iowa had a full roster, now that said, if he continues to play they way he has for the season, you have to like what you see.
Now, the bigger question is can he sustain it next year?
Basabe hasn't and neither has Cartwright, it was good to watch last year and think that Iowa was on the upturn, which I still believe they are.
Why did we think that? You see results, but the question always was, who else will step up this season? Marble has since he has shaken the cobwebs from his concussion.
This season record-wise is lost, I am watching Marble, McCabe, Ogelsby and White...how do they develop and can they have truly breakout seasons next year with better talent around them. Notice, I am not watching Basabe because he should be playing better, but isn't for whatever reason. I expect Basabe to be better by the end of the season and break out of his funk, maybe ISU was a start.

On the Marble front, can he do it in the BIG and can he do it next season from game one? With his skill set and another offseason conditioning session, he will be Iowa's best option from game one next year. That said, if he doesn't shoot 10,000 shots a week in the new practice facility in the offseason, he won't be that guy. There is still a lot of hard work that has to happen for him to be the guy.

Marble needs to be on the floor, period. When Cartwright comes back Marble takes over any minutes that May would have played. Oglesby and Gatens can share the shooting guard minutes. May is on teh floor for breathers and foul issues only.

lineup would look like this:

Cartwright
Marble
Gatens
Basabe
McCabe

or

Cartwright
Oglesby
Marble
Basabe
McCabe

You can get kids a few minutes breather during timeouts, stoppage in play and official timeouts. Cartwright and Marble mixed with a little bit of that other kid on the roster to play the point. Marble, White and May (in that order) can cover the wing position.

My only issue with Fran this year is that he is giving May minutes in an effort to try and get the kid out of whatever funk he is in. Its not a funk, its limited basketball skills.

Latest posts