Marble and Gesell Combine for 53 Points

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
27 points for the other eight guys.

One of the most complete games for either of those two in their careers.

Fantastic on both ends.

What I love to see is different guys stepping up each game...Wouldnt have thought the Hawks could win if Woody and Clemmons had such off games

Wiping the lay up clinic from my mind that happened at the close of the game; it is great to see the Hawks playing some defense. The first 35 minutes were great: we battled, bumped, and boarded right with a more experienced, rugged team.

To me that was the biggest difference from last year. We got some REAL stops throughout the course of the game.

The Real RDM stood up today, hopefully this is a game that propels him to lead Iowa the rest of the season. Gatens had a signature game like that against Purdue last season, but Iowa lost, however, he led Iowa the rest of the season, not just in scoring, but as a leader.

alot of those latups were probably by design, to keep UNI from shooting ft's
Marbles stats
6-14 from the field 4-9 from 3, 14-19 from the line, 4 rbs, 2 ast and 1 TO for 30 points
Gesell stats
6-9 from the field 4-6 from 3, 7-9 from the ftl, 2 rbds, 2 asts, 5 to's and 2 stl
as for Gabe I already posted his stats in thge thread titled Gabe
the biggest turn around in the game was TO's as Iowa commited 13 in the 1st half but just 2 TO's in the 2nd half

Last edited:
I think Marble game against Oregon in the NIT 10-15 7-8 from 3, 4-4 from the line, 5 rbds, 5 Assits and 0 TO' was his best game

And you would be wrong. That game was a horse race so much easier to put up numbers. RDM several times today just took things into his own hands, I'd say today was a much better game for him given he also had the focus of UNI vs. guys guarding Gatens last year.

And you would be wrong. That game was a horse race so much easier to put up numbers. RDM several times today just took things into his own hands, I'd say today was a much better game for him given he also had the focus of UNI vs. guys guarding Gatens last year.

And you would be wrong. He shot 7-8 behind the arc. That was arguably the best 3pt shooting performance in the history of Iowa bball.

I think Marble game against Oregon in the NIT 10-15 7-8 from 3, 4-4 from the line, 5 rbds, 5 Assits and 0 TO' was his best game

UNI game he had 30pts, 4rebs, 2asts, 2blks, and only 1 TO. He had a series where he hit a three, went right back to the other side on D and got that big block. Both games were amazing on his part and he is now the clear leader of this team.

I have to go with this being marble's best game of his career. He played well on both sides of the ball. It was his most complete game of his career. Last yr he did not know where the defensive side of the court was but since moving back to the 3 spot he is showing his all around talent. Much better fit for his skill set at the college level is going against other 3s. Hopefully he can play the 2 more next yr as he and uthoff on the floor at the wings would be dangerous.

Wiping the lay up clinic from my mind that happened at the close of the game; it is great to see the Hawks playing some defense. The first 35 minutes were great: we battled, bumped, and boarded right with a more experienced, rugged team.

To me that was the biggest difference from last year. We got some REAL stops throughout the course of the game.

The layup clinic was the result of Iowa focusing on two things: No 3's and no fouls. That's the smart thing to do, if you're hitting your free throws on the other end. Then it's like trading baskets, which is fine that late in a 10-point game.

And you would be wrong. He shot 7-8 behind the arc. That was arguably the best 3pt shooting performance in the history of Iowa bball.

No way was it the best. Justin Johnson and Gatens are just two guys who I've seen play that had better nights/performances. It's not just about the stats. Most of Marble's 3's against Oregon were wide open looks (except for the sick dribble behind the back, step back 3 at the top of the key). Gatens against Wisconsin hit them with guys in his face at every turn. On most of his shots, if he had separation, it was created by him.

My favorite shot from last season was his shot from the right corner with Gasser all over him; created just enough separation by going left and firing it with his quick release. Honestly, that's the best shot I've seen from an Iowa player in a long time.

Latest posts