Mangino's comments about Iowa corners

Iowa has a long line of DBs in the NFL. Help me list them.

Sanders
Constatine
Godfrey
Fletcher
Spavey (sp?)

??

Has anyone mentioned Devon Mitchell? Played with Ronnie and Chuck. Interception machine. Might still hold career record?

Loved watching him play.

Born in Jamaica. Ya Man!

Wow. High praise from Mangino. I can't think of any Iowa cornerbacks that play(ed) cornerback in the NFL except for Bob Jeter. Lots of Iowa cornerbacks turned safeties though.

Last edited:
I like our corners but Mangino isn't exactly on a good streak. Maybe if they asked him about the corner piece of a pan of brownies.

I'd throw Lomax in there as well as a pro prospect. He's turned into one heck of a safety. Iowa's secondary is a very solid group this year.

Actually, Iowa State's receivers were very easy to defend. Iowa's DB's didn't have to respect the run at all.

This. I like our corners, but they did not have to be Deon Sanders and Derrell Revis. ISU best run play was a gimmicky read option to a 180 lbs. walk on track guy.

This. I like our corners, but they did not have to be Deon Sanders and Derrell Revis. ISU best run play was a gimmicky read option to a 180 lbs. walk on track guy.

Mangino didn't say he thought they'd be NFL hall of famers, just that he thinks they'll play in the NFL. No doubt Isu's inability to run the ball helped but the caliber of the receivers were pretty good and they were well blanketed in that second half. That combined with the pressure Richardson was getting put on him by Iowa's front four completely rattled him. It was a total team defensive shutdown in the second half.

Mangino didn't say he thought they'd be NFL hall of famers, just that he thinks they'll play in the NFL. No doubt Isu's inability to run the ball helped but the caliber of the receivers were pretty good and they were well blanketed in that second half. That combined with the pressure Richardson was getting put on him by Iowa's front four completely rattled him. It was a total team defensive shutdown in the second half.

Fair enough........ISU inability to run made things easier schematically. The corners could turn and run with guys without worrying about getting caught peeking in the backfield. Those two deep zones they could just squat on routes. But yeah, i get what Mangino was getting at; King is a pro and Mabin/Jackson could very well be, also.

Latest posts