Mandel calls KF One of Five Worst

"Take away that one 11-2 season and the Hawkeyes are 47-41 since 2005"

Take away last year and they are 54-35. He is being very selective in his opinions.

"(Bobby Petrino) has produced four top-12 teams" gets him on the top list, Ferentz 4 top ten teams gets no mention. I am as apathetic about Ferentz as anyone, but that list is just dumb.

Not sure one of the 5 worst is fair. Perhaps a you could make a case for one of the Top 5 underachieving coaches, but he's no where close to Top 5 worst.

So if he gets to 8 wins this year does he jump to the top 5 list next July?...These lists are always pointless.

If this list is over the last 3 years, there is a valid point, but it doesn't appear to be that way.

This writer is stupid. He beat Saben in their last head to match up. What a joke SI has become.
Yeah. 10 years ago. Talk about a joke of a point. He named KF a top 10 coach 2 years in a row after KF's 3 top 8 finish run. He was right then, and in my opinion he's right now if my assumption is right that he's talking about most underachieving coach.

Overpaid based on number of wins? - absoutely yes.

Top 5 worst coaches? - not even close.

"Don't sell yourself short Judge - you're a tremendous slouch"

Dumb. There were several years (when we finished number eight in the country three consecutive years in a row) where everyone (broadcasters, analysts, coaches) gushed over KF saying what a great coach he was. Sorry but IMO a great coach is a great coach, now and then, unless you have lost it due to age or the game has passed you by. I dont perceive Kf has lost any mental faculties due to age and although some would say the game has passed him by I really don't believe that to be the case. Kf was a great coach when we were top ten three years in a row and I think if he was that then, he's probably still a good coach. Top five worst? Dumb

Dumb. There were several years (when we finished number eight in the country three consecutive years in a row) where everyone (broadcasters, analysts, coaches) gushed over KF saying what a great coach he was. Sorry but IMO a great coach is a great coach, now and then, unless you have lost it due to age or the game has passed you by. I dont perceive Kf has lost any mental faculties due to age and although some would say the game has passed him by I really don't believe that to be the case. Kf was a great coach when we were top ten three years in a row and I think if he was that then, he's probably still a good coach. Top five worst? Dumb

So once you have been named a good coach then you just stay that way?

Is good coach a loose term? Seems to me Kirk must have been facing a lot of gooder coaches lately.

It's an article meant to shock and awe. This time of year they have nothing to write about if there isn't a scandal. So you get this list and that list thrown out there by these national writers. Ferentz hasn't forgotten how to coach. I didn't bother to read it but I'm curious where Mack Brown figures in on it. There's a guy at the "biggest" school by name recognition in Texas anyway that hasn't exactly had a great go of it the last 5 yrs. Maybe he has him on that list but if your going to have Ferentz held to that standard I'd think Brown would be in the same sentence. But it's a subjective article with his own defining of "worst" and it's just meant to get people to have a knee jerk reaction to it so it'll be talked about on talk radio so maybe he can be on as a guest and places like this.

Hey kirk fans if you want to defend him maybe you should go comment a great recruit he just landed. As of now everyone calling this article dumb doesnt really prove anything. Outside looking in Kirk isnt doing anything in the win column to earn that fat check. You cant defend kirk by what he and a very different staff did back when. Nobody cares but Iowa fans. As of right now Kirk and his coaches are doing very well recruiting. That shows what will get wins in the future, because kirks record for three years 10 years ago isnt going to win any ballgames in the future.

So once you have been named a good coach then you just stay that way?

Is good coach a loose term? Seems to me Kirk must have been facing a lot of gooder coaches lately.

Complacency doesn't equal bad for me. I think it is common for people in any profession to work hard to get to a certain point and then lose track of what they did to get there. I am hoping 4-8 lights a fire to get back to where things were.