Mandatory deconstruction of the loss

NCHawker

Iowa has several drives that result in just 3. Imagine if they had just an average offense.

At the half, Iowa has given up 14 points. Imagine if they had an average offense

After it was 21-3 I knew it was over...imagine if Iowa had an average offense.

If Iowa had an average offense they would not be in desperation mode, turning the ball over late in the game and giving up TDs on short field with an overwhelming headwind of momentum.

If Iowa had an average offense, they'd probably go into this game undefeated.

Iowa has several drives that result in just 3. Imagine if they had just an average offense.

At the half, Iowa has given up 14 points. Imagine if they had an average offense

After it was 21-3 I knew it was over...imagine if Iowa had an average offense.

If Iowa had an average offense they would not be in desperation mode, turning the ball over late in the game and giving up TDs on short field with an overwhelming headwind of momentum.

If Iowa had an average offense, they'd probably go into this game undefeated.
The execution on offense was mediocre at best, but the play calling was absolutely terrible after the first drive. It's painful to watch this offensive futility repeat itself year after year. BF has to go. This whole week I told myself that Iowa wouldn't hold anything back and that whatever their absolute best shot was, we would see it tonight. I should've known better. I feel sorry for the players because the coaches didn't give them a chance to win.

No, that’s Iowa offense. Wisconsin doesn’t get beat by 39, Nebraska should have beat Michigan. Offense or lack thereof EVERY SINGLE YEAR! Lose 47-42, at least there’s entertainment value. This is so sickening and it’s Solely on the offense

I'm good. We backdoored in.
Michigan crushed us.
It sucked. But, I'd rather watch them get crushed in the Big 10 Championship than reruns of 20/20 on the Oprah Network.

Now, if Live PD was still on, that might be a debatable position. But, it's not....so....

Hard to get upset about the loss when the offense didn't show up in the red zone. I do find it amazing that Kirk, if he's not ok with the offense not finishing drives why doesn't he do something about it? Getting embarrassed on a national stage like this would force most coaches to make changes. There's one thing about having an overall philosophy, and yet another to realize it's not working.

The execution on offense was mediocre at best, but the play calling was absolutely terrible after the first drive. It's painful to watch this offensive futility repeat itself year after year. BF has to go. This whole week I told myself that Iowa wouldn't hold anything back and that whatever their absolute best shot was, we would see it tonight. I should've known better. I feel sorry for the players because the coaches didn't give them a chance to win.
It really didn't matter last night what BF called. Except for that 1st series where we looked like we could move the ball, Michigan was bigger, stronger, and faster. Receivers couldn't get separation, QBs had zero time to throw it, run game just completely shut down. Defense hung with them the 1st half and when you give Michigan the ball so much because the offense can't move it you are in trouble.

No, that’s Iowa offense. Wisconsin doesn’t get beat by 39, Nebraska should have beat Michigan. Offense or lack thereof EVERY SINGLE YEAR! Lose 47-42, at least there’s entertainment value. This is so sickening and it’s Solely on the offense
Well Wisconsin once got beat by 59 on that stage.......

I told the people I was watching the game with. The epitaph of this game will be 3rd and 8. Every time I looked up it seemed like Iowa was in 3rd and 8.

Playing behind the chains all night was a killer.

Corso got it going, we the mentally feeble folks we been talking about it seems. Excuse me, gotta get back under this rock.

I bought Tory Taylors t-shirt a few weeks ago. On the front it says "Punting is Winning"

The irony is just terrible.

This whole week I told myself that Iowa wouldn't hold anything back and that whatever their absolute best shot was, we would see it tonight.
I think the only gadget type play was the early halfback pass. A really good call and it was open. I would have liked to been in on the practice of that play just to find out if GWilliams was coached to throw that pass just a little to the side of the receiver. It is such a hard throw and catch to throw it right on line with the receiver. And the decision to use the seldom used fullback as the receiver vs maybe the more unknown tight end Lachey.

It really gets old hearing fans sit back and say "what a terrible call" or "bad play calling" when a play does not work. That fan has no clue about why a given play would or would not work.

All they know is that it didn't work. That fan has no clue about what's happening along the line of scrimmage, no idea about Xs and Os or tendencies. They just sit back and say, "good call = positive yards" and "bad call=no gain".

Its not that simple, there are many things that go into success. Often the effort, talent and scheme employed by the opponent is superior, and again it could be the skill and talent of the offense that is to blame.

Sometimes of course the OC and the QB (audible) just guesses wrong. At iowa, its not just as simple as the OC calls and play and they run it. If that were so there would be no looking at the defense, no pre snap signals, just go out there and "on two"

We all agree that Iowa's offense sucks and it has sucked for most years under KF. I'm just as fed up as anyone. Usually at Iowa the pieces just don't come together at the right time. One year its the QB, some years its a lack of RB, or they lack talent at WR, this year its the OLine.

I've come to believe that the overall talent, as well as the OLine, is the issue. And Michigan was a hell of a lot better team than Iowa.

This O does not look very much like Iowa under KoK or Greg Davis...yes there are a few plays (play action roll out) that we've seen for 20 years. But taken as a whole this Offense is different, but it still sucks.

It really gets old hearing fans sit back and say "what a terrible call" or "bad play calling" when a play does not work. That fan has no clue about why a given play would or would not work.

All they know is that it didn't work. That fan has no clue about what's happening along the line of scrimmage, no idea about Xs and Os or tendencies. They just sit back and say, "good call = positive yards" and "bad call=no gain".

Its not that simple, there are many things that go into success. Often the effort, talent and scheme employed by the opponent is superior, and again it could be the skill and talent of the offense that is to blame.

Sometimes of course the OC and the QB (audible) just guesses wrong. At iowa, its not just as simple as the OC calls and play and they run it. If that were so there would be no looking at the defense, no pre snap signals, just go out there and "on two"

We all agree that Iowa's offense sucks and it has sucked for most years under KF. I'm just as fed up as anyone. Usually at Iowa the pieces just don't come together at the right time. One year its the QB, some years its a lack of RB, or they lack talent at WR, this year its the OLine.

I've come to believe that the overall talent, as well as the OLine, is the issue. And Michigan was a hell of a lot better team than Iowa.

This O does not look very much like Iowa under KoK or Greg Davis...yes there are a few plays (play action roll out) that we've seen for 20 years. But taken as a whole this Offense is different, but it still sucks.
This is a good take. But, I will say, the stretch play with this poor line and underwhelming running backs is usually a poor play call out of Ferentz Jr.

I thought the offense actually did an ok job of scouting the Michigan defense. Much better than the Purdue and Wisconsin games. Cutting and chipping Hutchinson wasn't perfect but I expected him to have 3+ sacks. The short throws to Goodson, Bruce, and LaPorta were matched up against Michigan's LBs and safeties, which appeared to be their weakness.

Our outside wide receivers are way too slow. Hopefully the weight room allows Johnson to be more competitive on those 50/50 balls.

Biggest issue is o line development. QB room is a real issue as well.

Latest posts