Major ISU Shakeup

I still don't get Iowa sitting Anthony. Even if he gambled, that would not make him ineligible retroactively. He just could be punished moving forward. The evidence must of been pretty compelling.
It's wild. We just don't know squat jack. Which is the frustrating part of it all. If they'd just say he did X so he's going to be suspended for Y that'd be really nice. But way too much to be asking for.

I still don't get Iowa sitting Anthony. Even if he gambled, that would not make him ineligible retroactively. He just could be punished moving forward. The evidence must of been pretty compelling.

It's such a damned joke. My guess is that the state commission has something akin to subpoena power of any entity operating in Iowa and has the data they need within days. The time this shit is taking is infuriating. The guys have due process rights in terms of suspensions or discipline, but the actual fact finding has to be long completed at this point.

I don’t know the exact rules, but I’m assuming they know he’s guilty and are getting some of the suspension out of the way now. Credit for time served, if you will.

Also, if Iowa knew the evidence was compelling and kept letting him play, it would paint a pretty dark streak down Rick Heller's back and he ain’t that kinda guy. He’s one of the most high-character guys you’re ever going to meet.

Even without Anthony, they obviously felt the team had something special going. If they thought the team had a chance to go deep in the tourney, why risk having the 'powers that be' come back and nullify that run b/c Iowa let Anthony keep playing.

I get what you're saying about the eligibility...if he's not betting now is it really a problem letting him play, but it's not like sports governing bodies are consistent or even mostly logical.

Even without Anthony, they obviously felt the team had something special going. If they thought the team had a chance to go deep in the tourney, why risk having the 'powers that be' come back and nullify that run b/c Iowa let Anthony keep playing.

I get what you're saying about the eligibility...if he's not betting now is it really a problem letting him play, but it's not like sports governing bodies are consistent or even mostly logical.
I have just never heard of a gambling violation as an eligibility issue. Its akin to a player accused of sexual assault. A school can play the kid while the charges are pending and if he is convicted, those games are not forfeited. He will assuredly be kicked off the team for the conviction, but the team did not play an ineligible player. Admittedly, I have never seen this type of scandal at Iowa that I can recall, so I could be wrong about the rule, but it seems closer to the criminal charges analogy than taking illegal benefits or being academically ineligible during playing time.

I have just never heard of a gambling violation as an eligibility issue. Its akin to a player accused of sexual assault. A school can play the kid while the charges are pending and if he is convicted, those games are not forfeited. He will assuredly be kicked off the team for the conviction, but the team did not play an ineligible player. Admittedly, I have never seen this type of scandal at Iowa that I can recall, so I could be wrong about the rule, but it seems closer to the criminal charges analogy than taking illegal benefits or being academically ineligible during playing time.
I think the NCAA has eligibility rules related to gambling, so that's the issue. It's not a criminal offense -- the player didn't violate any Iowa laws. They allegedly violated NCAA rules.

I think the NCAA has eligibility rules related to gambling, so that's the issue. It's not a criminal offense -- the player didn't violate any Iowa laws. They allegedly violated NCAA rules.
Yes it is criminal. He’s charged with tampering because his parents helped him try to hide the gambling. They set the DK account up under his mom

Yikes! And given the word "scheme" is used, I am guessing that means they knew about it. But let's be geniuses and have him place these wagers on his own phone.
I’d imagine someone ratted him out. How else would Johnny Law find out?

I’ll bet my house the IA attorney general had someone pinched and told ‘em to start singing or they were going to prison.

Latest posts