Major ISU Shakeup

How hard would it be for a player in those states to 1) Drive to another state before logging in (not hard but time consuming), or 2) Use a VPN, which would completely change their phone's reported location (easy to do, set up takes less than 10 minutes).
1) without the VPN, they’d have to do this every time they open the app, but it would be perfectly legal (assuming they are at least 21 and not violating any other laws).

2) While it is certainly possible to circumvent the location requirement with a VPN, it’s not nearly as easy as it once was. Any major VPN provider likely won’t work, the sports books know the endpoints, and can identify and shut down new ones fairly quickly. If you have a working account with a sports book, try it yourself. Authentication will likely fail with your VPN enabled. That’s not to say there aren’t work arounds, but they aren’t always trivial. Other non-gambling service providers have similar safeguards in place. For example, it’s a lot more difficult to change your YouTubeTV location at will for this or that sporting event than it once was. I have a number of websites I cannot fully use with my VPN enabled, and I use (when I use a VPN) a more obscure VPN than most.
DraftKings uses GPS on your phone to tell where you’re at. It doesn’t use IP address so a VPN isn’t going to do anything.

Just for kicks a few years ago I tried to place a bet riding in a vehicle, was maybe half a block across the MN border and it wouldn’t let me.

DraftKings uses GPS on your phone to tell where you’re at. A VPN isn’t going to do anything.

Just for kicks a few years ago I tried to place a bet riding in a vehicle, was maybe half a block across the MN border and it wouldn’t let me.
Seems like that that’s a situation where it’s grabbing the location of the cell tower, or at least that is one of the many things that can happen. I’d imagine it could also grab the location of an ISP and trigger off of that. Everyone who cares about your location is a little different, and there are a lot of options. GPS seems dubious to me for a number of technical reasons. What I can tell you is that if I enable the VPN on my phone, draftkings will not authenticate. Perhaps they only use wi-fi as a fallback when location services aren’t available, it’s impossible to say for sure without documentation from them or access to their internal services.

I did a test just now, and with cell services off and wi-if on, I can authenticate and login on draft kings. Now whether Apple gives them access to location services temporarily during authentication despite my turning it off, I have no idea. Either way, with VPN enabled, doesn’t work. I can also authenticate on my tablet, which doesn’t have cellular services, so that has to be using my IP address.

The other interesting dynamic is how authentication differs between the mobile and desktop apps. For the latter, they can only go off of a user’s IP address, either locally or from the ISP. Technically, they only view the IP of the endpoint, so in the case of VPN usage, the location of the VPN. This is why they work hard to identify and ban IP addresses identified as VPN endpoints.

Last edited:
So is this good news in the sense that no one else, especially Shannon, is on that list. Cannot imagine why charges against some and not others would come out now.

Bracy is apparently the DB that is rumored?

Maybe everyone else is slap on the wrist????

There is at least one current DB in the investigation, from what I've heard.

I don't think today's news is the end of it.

So is this good news in the sense that no one else, especially Shannon, is on that list. Cannot imagine why charges against some and not others would come out now.

Bracy is apparently the DB that is rumored?

Maybe everyone else is slap on the wrist????
Drip drip... this isn't the end of it... For some god forsaken reason they are just doing a few at a time. Shannon may or may not still have charges. Depending on what he did. Thankfully he's over 21 so being underage won't be one of the things for him. But he's not admitted to what he did publicly he's only said that yes he's being investigated. That could mean he's bet on Iowa games and is gone too or maybe he bet a couple times on NBA games and will get a slap on the wrist or something inbetween. We just don't know yet till that shoe drops.

I thought I remember rumors being out there that some of the guys bet on the Iowa women hoops team during the NCAA tourny. We haven't really seen that yet. That too would be a death sentence for eligibility for those that did.

We aren't out of the woods yet... Fort Kinnick I think knows who all is being investigated. They just don't know (unless kids have fessed up) to what extent they all did what. I'd read that Shannon had been seen in street clothes during practice. Nobody knows if he's hurt or being held out due to this... Fort Kinnick is living up to her reputation these days

Anyone else when they first read the new names think that it was Keagan Johnson not Jack? I did... Especially after I'd seen that Bruce was on it. I'd never heard of the Jack kid before guess he's a walk on WR that wasn't going to be playing anyway but still. His profile says he's been on Deans list the last 2 yrs. But yet he's not smart enough to not bet on his own team.

Shit is wild. Imagine what's gone on (and still going on) all over the country.
They'd damn near have to put the brakes on some teams if they started investigating everyone. GA Bama LSU, FL CA schools. Michigan OSU just go right down the list. As big of a hit as this is to ISU (Their O has been decimated damn near) I'd be surprised if other schools didn't have it worse if they'd just be investigated the same. But you can't find a crime if you don't look.

It’s funny because it’s the clowns but once sports gambling became so widely accepted you can place bets on your phone and sports leagues are partnering with the books this became impossible to control.

I guarantee we’ve already had athletes adjust their performance in a game to try to win bets they placed.

Drip drip... this isn't the end of it... For some god forsaken reason they are just doing a few at a time. Shannon may or may not still have charges. Depending on what he did. Thankfully he's over 21 so being underage won't be one of the things for him. But he's not admitted to what he did publicly he's only said that yes he's being investigated. That could mean he's bet on Iowa games and is gone too or maybe he bet a couple times on NBA games and will get a slap on the wrist or something inbetween. We just don't know yet till that shoe drops.

I thought I remember rumors being out there that some of the guys bet on the Iowa women hoops team during the NCAA tourny. We haven't really seen that yet. That too would be a death sentence for eligibility for those that did.

We aren't out of the woods yet... Fort Kinnick I think knows who all is being investigated. They just don't know (unless kids have fessed up) to what extent they all did what. I'd read that Shannon had been seen in street clothes during practice. Nobody knows if he's hurt or being held out due to this... Fort Kinnick is living up to her reputation these days
Fort Kinnick isn't as tight as you think. Howe and other journalists who cover the Hawks know the names of some of those who are being investigated and whose names haven't yet been released, but due to liability issues they're not going to write anything publicly and will wait until law enforcement or the NCAA releases the names.

Fort Kinnick isn't as tight as you think. Howe and other journalists who cover the Hawks know the names of some of those who are being investigated and whose names haven't yet been released, but due to liability issues they're not going to write anything publicly and will wait until law enforcement or the NCAA releases the names.
Yeah there's been that floating around for awhile now. Hell Dekkers name had been out there quite awhile. They just didn't know what he did exactly till they officially charged him. What I'm referring to with Fort Kinnick is if guys are being held out of practice due to this and that's not getting out that's a new wrinkle on things. I thought guys could practice all the way up to games being played. Or maybe it's just a recent KF thing I dunno.

Guys were practicing up until news broke that there were some dudes actually betting on their own team and school. I don't think any coaches in any sports thought that was the case.

My guess is they're being extra cautious and will remain that way. You don't want to practice or play someone with major infractions and suffer forfeits or penalties because of that.

Latest posts