Maisel: Had he remained healthy, Iowa would be 13-0

I think Iowa would have won the Northwestern game for sure if Stanzi had not been hurt. The OSU is a question mark because JV played so well. I think Iowa would have scored more against Minnesota. Maybe 12-1!!! But it is nice to think about what could have been!

I think Iowa would have won the Northwestern game for sure if Stanzi had not been hurt. The OSU is a question mark because JV played so well. I think Iowa would have scored more against Minnesota. Maybe 12-1!!! But it is nice to think about what could have been!

I agree with this but can also see it both ways. At the start of the NW game it finally looked like the O was hitting it's stride and clicking. Then Stanzi gets hurt and it's back to square one.

I think we still lose to tOSU but you never know.

I don't know why so many beleive that we would have automatically won the NW game if Stanzi stayed in. When he left, we only had a 3 point lead. Given our past troubles with NW, I am certainly not going to assume a victory. We could have, but I certainly don't think it was a guarantee.

OSU was just the better team. I don't think Stanzi could have played any better than JVB did.

I don't know why so many beleive that we would have automatically won the NW game if Stanzi stayed in. When he left, we only had a 3 point lead. Given our past troubles with NW, I am certainly not going to assume a victory. We could have, but I certainly don't think it was a guarantee.

OSU was just the better team. I don't think Stanzi could have played any better than JVB did.

I think it's pretty reasonable to think that we win that NU game with RS...in 3 drives (really 2) we scored 10 points with him. In 8 drives without him, we scored none.

OSU would have prepared entirely differently, imo had RS been healthy, so it's 100% conjecture there...

Did you watch the NW game before and after Stanzi left?? Vandy was brutal.

Seriously, if he avoids that sack that is one less TD NW gets and Stanzi would have put at least another 14 points on the board in the next 3 quarters making the score 24-10 or somewhere around that.

I do agree we still lose the OSU game, he wouldn't have played better than JVB did.

A separate point in the piece was how Georgia Tech and Oregon were hurt by the time off and their timing. Didn't OSU and Iowa have two weeks more off than did those two teams? I would guess his point is that the offenses of Oregon and GTech rely more in "timing" and that the offenses of OSU and Iowa do not.
Perhaps--just a thought--the reason GTech and Oregon struggled is because both teams faced a defense that was far better than anything they had seen all year. But what do I know.

I couldn't just chalk up a win at the Shoe with Stanzi in there. Vandenberg played as well in that game as Stanzi had in any game this year, IMO...complete game, I am talking about. Iowa has won just twice in the Shoe since the 1950's, so I can't sit here and chalk that one up.

Now, as for NW, yes, I think they would have won that game.

he also throws GT the token national media excuse. saying that a four week lay off hurt the timing of their offense. apparently dude forgot that a 6 week layoff for iowa with it's starting QB returning for the first time in 8 weeks would be more significant than a 4 week layoff for a team that played its last game in the same state as its bowl. ugh facts.

Wrong. IF the Face Mask penalty on Wooten would have been called, Iowa still leads by 10. Maisel is TOTALLY SPOT ON, with this analysis.
Iowa was so close to playing for the National Championship, guys like Ghost cannot even see the forest for the trees.

:cool:

Seriously, if he avoids that sack that is one less TD NW gets and Stanzi would have put at least another 14 points on the board in the next 3 quarters making the score 24-10 or somewhere around that.

I do agree we still lose the OSU game, he wouldn't have played better than JVB did.

Seriously, his ankle wasn't sprained until he hit the turf in the endzone. That TD was going to happen whether Stanzi gets hurt or not. That is not up to debate.

I also think it is unreasonable to beleive the Iowa Offense would have rolled NW the rest of that game. The Iowa offense didn't really roll anyone all season, outside of Iowa St, and that was because Arnaud was playing for our defense. The offense couldn't roll Indiana, Arkansas St., or UNI, so I am not going to assume they would have continued at that pace the entire NW game.

Heck, look at the Orange Bowl. I thought Iowa was going to go up 21-0 at the end of the 1st. Then boom, big turnover, GT scores, the offense sputters until the 4th quarter. The Iowa offense this season was too inconsistant for me to assume they would blow someone out.

It is certainly reasonable, as Ivan Maisel asserts to presume that IF Iowa hadn't have lost Ricky against NW, we would have won that game making us 10-0. Iowa lost to Ohio st in overtime, so it's certainly reasonable to presume that had Iowa had its starter at QB, we may have garnered 3 - 7 more points there.

IOWA will be ranked in the Top 7 football teams in America, later this week!

A separate point in the piece was how Georgia Tech and Oregon were hurt by the time off and their timing. Didn't OSU and Iowa have two weeks more off than did those two teams? I would guess his point is that the offenses of Oregon and GTech rely more in "timing" and that the offenses of OSU and Iowa do not.
Perhaps--just a thought--the reason GTech and Oregon struggled is because both teams faced a defense that was far better than anything they had seen all year. But what do I know.

News flash for the pundits...ALL offenses rely on "timing"...it's just another of their easy "go to" reasons, that makes their jobs easier...like saying one team is going to win because they have more "athletes" or "team speed" than another.

I also think it is unreasonable to beleive the Iowa Offense would have rolled NW the rest of that game.

Iowa didn't have to "roll" Northwestern. It's no stretch to assume Rick was good for at least one more TD in that game, take out the short field touchdown JVB set NW up with and at the very minimum that game is another prototypical '09 victory. On the other hand I personally feel without Rick's injury that game would have been Iowa's second blow-out of the season.

Iowa didn't have to "roll" Northwestern. It's no stretch to assume Rick was good for at least one more TD in that game, take out the short field touchdown JVB set NW up with and at the very minimum that game is another prototypical '09 victory. On the other hand I personally feel without Rick's injury that game would have been Iowa's second blow-out of the season.

I think it is a stretch to assume anything with the offense this season. The only thing they were consistant about was being inconsistant. For instance, it is kind of silly to assume that the INT JVB threw would not have been matched by Stanzi.

I have also realized how foolish it is to argue about things that "could" have happened, since no one can ever be proved right!

Latest posts