Madison Tailgate

gohawqs

Some buddies and I are headed to Madison to tailgate for the UNI game and then head to the bars to watch UNI and the Hawks play. I have never been to Madison...any suggestions?

Some buddies and I are headed to Madison to tailgate for the UNI game and then head to the bars to watch UNI and the Hawks play. I have never been to Madison...any suggestions?

Jeez, just when I thought UNI was going to have a tough time against Wisco in Madison, I learn that they have to play Iowa on the same day in Chicago. ;)

You will have a great time!!! Tailgate as close to the stadium as you can get - get to the stadium early - the pre-game is great. Stay for the fifth quarter after the game, it is really unique and fun.

After the game, go downtown (right next to the stadium!) and celebrate the day.

Wisconsin is one of the truly great venues in college football - right up there with Kinnick!

Wisconsin blows. you're going to find the most overrated place in the big 10. people show up about 9am. there really is no tailgating around the stadium, its all bars.

If you get there early enough you should be able to find parking off Lathrop St. (near Lathrop and Van Hise Ave) across from the stadium.

I agree with the other posts though, people don't really tailgate like they do in Iowa City. They just park and go to the bar. But, we've always tried to show em how its done and have enjoyed ourselves (helps when the Hawks dominate Bucky in second half and Moeaki makes a diving catch in the endzone.)

Last edited:
Welllllll then.........I was hoping this would be the place to discuss the up and coming pron star of the same name....how wrong I was. Shame.

Park your car, and get out of the parking lot. Tailgaiting isn't a big deal in the large parking lots here.

If you want to hit some bars, there are some clumped together on Regent St. near the stadium. Also, State Street is fun to visit and there are some bars, restaurants, and coffee places. There are also a few good bars on University, as noted above.

You may also want to head over to the Union Terrace (on Lake Mendota and not far from the stadium). Nice lake view and a good place to enjoy a beer outside by the lake.

Have fun!

If you get there early enough you should be able to find parking off Lathrop St. (near Lathrop and Van Hise Ave) across from the stadium.

I agree with the other posts though, people don't really tailgate like they do in Iowa City. They just park and go to the bar. But, we've always tried to show em how its done and have enjoyed ourselves (helps when the Hawks dominate Bucky in second half and Moeaki makes a diving catch in the endzone.)

As a Madison resident and frequent attendee of Hawk games at Cramp Randall, this was a great, great moment. Many crabby cheddardiks after that game.

Ive never had anyone tell me they had fun a beckybadgers house. All story have been how wisky fans are horrible and tailgating blows.

Most overrated tailgating scene in the history of the world.

Very few yard parties like you find in Iowa City. Last time I was there there were signs all over the place warning about huge fines for open container violations. Everyone crams into bars or large corporate tents set up that charge a cover for everyone to stand around and drink beer. Walked into a few yards along the way and they were very low-key and not anywhere near as festive as your typical IC yard party.

The stadium is cool, as are all the sing-alongs that the students do during the games, and their band is freaking epic, but other than that, it is easily, and it's not even close, the most overrated atmosphere in all of collegiate sports.

Last edited:
You will have a great time!!! Tailgate as close to the stadium as you can get - get to the stadium early - the pre-game is great. Stay for the fifth quarter after the game, it is really unique and fun.

After the game, go downtown (right next to the stadium!) and celebrate the day.

Wisconsin is one of the truly great venues in college football - right up there with Kinnick!

The downtown is not "right next to the stadium." We walked for seemingly miles before we found anything resembling civilization after the 2009 Iowa game up there. It's more spread out and further apart than even Iowa City.

Last edited:
Madison is great. The area around the stadium is great, although people are right about the tailgating scene.

The one thing there isn't in Madison though is a rock star sports bar with huge tv's and great food. The Stadium Bar is pretty close to it, but it is literally right next to the stadium and will be a **** show.

State Street is fun, but it can also be a mess on Saturdays.

As a Madison resident, I agree that the scene near the stadium pre-game is great. I believe the Madison area I-club meets at Smokey Bones restaurant, which is on the west side of Madison near West Town Mall. The UW fans at the bars near the stadium will be pretty obnoxius to watch an Iowa game around from past experience.

As a Madison resident, I agree that the scene near the stadium pre-game is great. I believe the Madison area I-club meets at Smokey Bones restaurant, which is on the west side of Madison near West Town Mall. The UW fans at the bars near the stadium will be pretty obnoxius to watch an Iowa game around from past experience.

Pretty sure they watch at the Up North on East WIlson.

Ive never had anyone tell me they had fun a beckybadgers house. All story have been how wisky fans are horrible and tailgating blows.

To qualify my previous statement, I've had beer bottles thrown at me over the years, and yes, Badgers fans are the worst on the planet.

In that particular game, I had some ahole turning around and sneering at me while Becky was ahead. The enjoyable part was the 4th quarter and the victory!

Yeah, I've been at those bars with Iowa stuff and it's hit and miss. If you're with badger friends...maybe safe. Otherwise, you could have a drunken Bucky challenge you. Not fun.

The downtown is not "right next to the stadium." We walked for seemingly miles before we found anything resembling civilization after the 2009 Iowa game up there. It's more spread out and further apart than even Iowa City.

You must've been walking in the wrong direction! :)

Latest posts