Lute Olson

This is weird, I just spent some time over the weekend reminiscing about some of those old Iowa teams back in the Fieldhouse days.

I always wondered the real reason why he left, I think he wanted to keep Bobbi happy.

Damn.

My dad (who died in ‘07) was a huge Lute fan. We moved as a family to Arizona for 6 years starting in 1984, and I can remember my dad thinking how cool it was to follow him there. UofA instantly became his second favorite team and he still followed them somewhat closely until he died.

This is weird, I just spent some time over the weekend reminiscing about some of those old Iowa teams back in the Fieldhouse days.

I always wondered the real reason why he left, I think he wanted to keep Bobbi happy.
It was a combination of many things including, but not limited to a couple sportswriters from the Des Moines Register, the fish bowl atmosphere of a small college town in general, brutal midwest winters, the Jim Bain situation, a simmering feud with Bobby Knight. I'm sure Bobbi was more than happy to leave that behind.

He mentions all of this in his book "Seasons of My Life.". Bobbi was definitely a big influence on him. Certainly wish Lute a quick recovery. He provided some of the most memorable moments in Hawkeye basketball history.

Bummer...thoughts are with you Lute. He was a class act. I met him in Oakland at a hotel about 15 years ago. I walked in to check in and he was in line right ahead of me. I told him I was happy he won an NC with Arizona, but he had a good shot to win one in 1980 if Lester hadn't gone down against Louisville. He said Louisville was a crazy athletic team would have been tough to beat even if Lester hadn't gone down. He said that Iowa team was playing at a really high level and everyone embraced their role...no quit in them... but Ronnie ran the show. He was so gracious. I can only imagine how many Iowa fans have come up to him everywhere he goes and asked him questions about that team...maybe he was in a good mood, but it appeared he enjoyed talking about it. I enjoyed it that's for sure.

I know he had a stroke the year he retired and it cause some psychological issues, depression for example...which sucked because he probably would have coached 5-6 more years. 23 consecutive tourneys at Arizona...he could recruit and coach.

Here's to a speedy recovery Lute.

Best wishes to him and his family.

What I recall about him leaving was a rumor that it was primarily his wife that pushed for it. She wasn't a fan at all of the winters in Iowa.

When Arizona jumped in and offered a very lucrative deal - along with a promise to sweeten the pot by increasing spending on men's basketball - it become pretty much a no-brainer.

The stories back then were that Isaiah Thomas was heading to Iowa until Knight swooped in at the last second to get him to IU and as in the Jim Bain incident which was some of the worst officiating ever Lute felt that he just couldnt get the calls you need and too many calls against you to win in the Big 10. You basically had to have such a good team the refs couldnt even screw you.And you had to get guys like I Thomas

I watched Lute and his boys pound the living shit out of Eastern Illinois in Kansas City in 2001 in the NCAA tournament. I distinctly recall an inbound-alley oop throwdown that drew a lot of jaw drops. I also recall that the Eastern Illinois cheerleaders were ridiculously hot, which was even more impressive and surprising than the inbound dunk.

I was pretty hammered but some things are just seared into the memory.

It was a combination of many things including, but not limited to a couple sportswriters from the Des Moines Register, the fish bowl atmosphere of a small college town in general, brutal midwest winters, the Jim Bain situation, a simmering feud with Bobby Knight. I'm sure Bobbi was more than happy to leave that behind.

He mentions all of this in his book "Seasons of My Life.". Bobbi was definitely a big influence on him. Certainly wish Lute a quick recovery. He provided some of the most memorable moments in Hawkeye basketball history.

I know that's all been documented but Lute doesn't seem to be the type to throw his wife under the bus, even after she's been deceased.

After the winter we've been having this winter even MY wife is grumbling. Gotta keep momma happy. :)

The stories back then were that Isaiah Thomas was heading to Iowa until Knight swooped in at the last second to get him to IU and as in the Jim Bain incident which was some of the worst officiating ever Lute felt that he just couldnt get the calls you need and too many calls against you to win in the Big 10. You basically had to have such a good team the refs couldnt even screw you.And you had to get guys like I Thomas

I read that recently, first time I've heard that Isiah Thomas was an Iowa commit. With Isiah they probably would have won the NC in 1980. But Lute stuck around 2 years after Isiah moved on to the NBA. I can't imagine a referee chasing a guy out of a job. I believe Bobbi was the biggest influence.

I read that recently, first time I've heard that Isiah Thomas was an Iowa commit. With Isiah they probably would have won the NC in 1980. But Lute stuck around 2 years after Isiah moved on to the NBA. I can't imagine a referee chasing a guy out of a job. I believe Bobbi was the biggest influence.
I don't know if Isiah officially committed, but we were in the lead until Knight had to dismiss both his point guards and needed one immediately.

Thomas, Lester, and Kenny Arnold in the same backcourt would have been unfair. They would have destroyed everybody.

If you can't imagine a ref chasing a coach out of a job you didn't see Lute umload on Jim Bain in the postgame presser in 1982. Scalded him, held nothing back. It would cost him tens of thousands of dollars today. And other refs didn't forget.

I will agree that Bobbi was the biggest influence. Just like Cindy Alvarez probably prevented Barry from taking the Miami job in 2000. Barry loves south Florida, Cindy not so much.

Last edited:
Hope he gets well soon.

I'm young enough where I only remember Lute as Arizona's coach, and getting smacked down by his teams a few times (our 86-87 team the lone exception) but he's still part of the Hawkeye family as far as I'm concerned. Wish he'd have stuck around. He just might have won a title here, too.

I don't know if Isiah officially committed, but we were in the lead until Knight had to dismiss both his point guards and needed one immediately.

Thomas, Lester, and Kenny Arnold in the same backcourt would have been unfair. They would have destroyed everybody.

If you can't imagine a ref chasing a coach out of a job you didn't see Lute umload on Jim Bain in the postgame presser in 1982. Scalded him, held nothing back. It would cost him tens of thousands of dollars today. And other refs didn't forget.

I will agree that Bobbi was the biggest influence. Just like Cindy Alvarez probably prevented Barry from taking the Miami job in 2000. Barry loves south Florida, Cindy not so much.

No, I wouldn’t have seen it. I would have only been 9 or 10 at the time.

I should read that.

Hope he gets well soon.

I'm young enough where I only remember Lute as Arizona's coach, and getting smacked down by his teams a few times (our 86-87 team the lone exception) but he's still part of the Hawkeye family as far as I'm concerned. Wish he'd have stuck around. He just might have won a title here, too.

He would have if he could have increased the baseline speed. That WSU win was no fluke.

I watched Lute and his boys pound the living shit out of Eastern Illinois in Kansas City in 2001 in the NCAA tournament. I distinctly recall an inbound-alley oop throwdown that drew a lot of jaw drops. I also recall that the Eastern Illinois cheerleaders were ridiculously hot, which was even more impressive and surprising than the inbound dunk.

I was pretty hammered but some things are just seared into the memory.

Yea, I bet they were hot.
90194885.jpg

ibrew-coopers-beer-ad1.jpg
61585c73_beer-goggles.jpeg

If he'd stayed then Bobbi would have had to deal with Hawkeye Nation posters.

It wasnt the one ref, jim bain incident, but the summation of not getting calls, watching Heathcoat walk all over the refs, and other teams get the calls.

Latest posts