Lute Olson

It wasnt the one ref, jim bain incident, but the summation of not getting calls, watching Heathcoat walk all over the refs, and other teams get the calls.

Dont agree. He was calm and cool but lost it a few times. Losing his cool bothered him.

I remember asking him why he wasn't recruiting a certain all-state player from Illinois who ended up at the University of Illinois. His reply was that the player would not be the type that would fit in to Iowa basketball. As it turned out, he was right.

I should read that.
He doesn't mention Jim Bain in the book. But it was common enough knowledge, One of his comments in that 1982 presser was that officials who take things away from players should be in jail.

Every coach has been there before. I don't know if lute got fined and don't think he cared. But who's side do you think the other conference refs were going to take

The book features only one chapter on Iowa but makes references to Iowa players in other areas of the book. When Lute and the players found out that Kenny Arnold was emaciated from his cancer because insurance was preventing Kenny getting proper meds and proper care they 1) were outraged and 2) fixed that issue in a hurry. Kenny was not forgotten. Iowa fans and former players raised a ton of money for him.

I remember asking him why he wasn't recruiting a certain all-state player from Illinois who ended up at the University of Illinois. His reply was that the player would not be the type that would fit in to Iowa basketball. As it turned out, he was right.
Wasn't that Purdue's Joe Barry Carroll? According to legend when he came to Iowa City for his official visit he spent most of the weekend with his head down and his headphones on. The players who were hosting him reported back to Lute that JBC was a no go.

Heck, he probably didn't even like Bobbi's famous apple cinnamon pancakes!

:)

Dont agree. He was calm and cool but lost it a few times. Losing his cool bothered him.

That's fine if you dont agree. I am not saying how Lute acted during games, that is not what I wrote. I lived in Iowa City and the area from 70-85 and even though I didnt try to get close to any programs I had friends and friends of friends who had close info from those around the team, from boosters, etc who said Lute's feelings on this one issue was he and Iowa would never get the close calls when it mattered to win any or even one Big 10 Title. And the Knight angle is known as well as about other coaches like Keady. It is no coincidence that the Jim Bain issue happened on Keady's court, who was as bad as Heathcoat and Knight for "owning" refs.

Yes his wife was probably the main one who wanted and pushed for the change but she maybe also knew Lute's thoughts about the matter above.

Wasn't that Purdue's Joe Barry Carroll? According to legend when he came to Iowa City for his official visit he spent most of the weekend with his head down and his headphones on. The players who were hosting him reported back to Lute that JBC was a no go.

Remember hearing that story about JOE Barely Cares.

Wasn't JBC. It was Bruce Douglas.

Latest posts