Luka vs Zion

Unfortunately the POY award is super political and team success based. Past 5 POY's....

Zion - 1 seed
Brunson - 1 seed
Mason - 1 seed
Hield - 2 seed
Kaminsky - 1 seed

Iowa likely won't even be a 4 seed.
Exactly what I was saying in this post.

The entire conversation is moot except for the uber homers.

I'd love to be wrong and for Garza to win the award, but it ain't happenin'.

Exactly what I was saying in this post.

The entire conversation is moot except for the uber homers.

I'd love to be wrong and for Garza to win the award, but it ain't happenin'.

The main thing going for Garza is there's no clear cut favorite on a dominant team this year.

Also, Garza is the best player in the best conference, but not sure the national pundits even care or pay attention to that.

I still can't find a decent comparable for Garza, but McHale never shot any 3s, and that's a huge part of Luka's game.

I still keep landing on Frank Kaminsky. Whats scary is if you compare Luka's junior year to Frank's junior year...Luka is putting Frank to shame. However I wouldn't be shocked to see Luka's numbers dip a bit next year with Bohannon and others a full strength.
Frank had one great year, his senior year. Since he left Wisconsin, not once have I heard anything on him.

That's a load of shit. The national POTY award is supposed to go to the best player in college basketball, not the "most important to his/her team."

Williamson won it last year, so your argument below...
...knocks your point out of the water. By your reasoning Williamson shouldn't have won it last year because, even though he was the best basketball player in the country, he was surrounded by one and doners and wasn't the most important guy to Duke's success, right? Hmmm
I didn’t say that importance to ones team was the only variable, but it is one variable.

I'd be willing to be almost everything I have that White wouldn't trade his senior year at Iowa for one more year of making money in Europe.
White and Garza aren't even remotely comparable in terms of NBA prospects. Garza's upside in pro ball is way, waaay higher.

Frank had one great year, his senior year. Since he left Wisconsin, not once have I heard anything on him.

He's had a solid NBA career. Basically a role/bench player but contributes and plays ~20 minutes per game. After next year he will have made over $21.5 million.

If you think Zion faced as much defensive attention, double, triple teams and beyond, it's time to put down the pipe.

But zion got 1000000 times more media coverage which seems to be like 80% of the POY award criteria.

edit: I mean NATIONAL media attention BTW (ESPN, etc). That was not an attack on you or the Iowa media. :)

Zion wasn't really the focal point of their O either. That other lefty they had that went to the Knicks seemed to have the ball most of the time. Zion I feel if they would have force fed him touches could have dominated more then he did. He shared the spot light because he didn't need to dominate it. He had all the fame he could handle as it was and they were winning. So he didn't care if he was putting up stupid numbers or not. He almost did that on accident. If Zion was at Iowa or anywhere really and being force fed touches he'd do monster things. He was a man amongst boys out there he just is

Check out the highest single-season PERs in college basketball history. Zion is first with 40.8. There is as much distance between him and 2nd place as there is between 2nd place and 23rd place. He was pretty good.

If you are curious, Luka's PER would end up in the top 10 of that list, just ahead of Anthony Davis.

Saw the tread title and was wondering if Garza had become possessed with a devil. :eek::eek::eek:

Zion;
  1. a hill in Jerusalem, on which the Temple was built (used to symbolize the city itself, especially as a religious or spiritual center).
  2. the Jewish people.
  3. Palestine as the Jewish homeland and symbol of Judaism.
  4. heaven as the final gathering place of true believers. :p:p:p

White and Garza aren't even remotely comparable in terms of NBA prospects. Garza's upside in pro ball is way, waaay higher.
Correct. But I was responding to a post that mentioned he should leave even if it meant playing in Europe.

Saw the tread title and was wondering if Garza had become possessed with a devil. :eek::eek::eek:

Zion;
  1. a hill in Jerusalem, on which the Temple was built (used to symbolize the city itself, especially as a religious or spiritual center).
  2. the Jewish people.
  3. Palestine as the Jewish homeland and symbol of Judaism.
  4. heaven as the final gathering place of true believers. :p:p:p
5. Location of the giant orgy in Matrix Reloaded.

I could see next year going either way. His numbers might dip because we have another scorer out there. But on the other hand, do you quit giving Graza all the touches he can handle to get Bohannon more shots? Does Bohannon just take touches from all of our role players now? Does Garza improve his efficiency so he scores the same on less touches? Do his numbers drop a bit, but he shows NBA scouts more athletic ability? If Garza averages 5 less points again with the same efficiency and noticeably more explosiveness, he would be a way better NBA prospect.
I think having more shooters around him will actually improve his numbers because he would be more wide open, play more one on one in the post, and get fouled more often. I would like to see his rebounding and shot blocking numbers go up exponentially next year like his scoring has done this year. A run to the Final Four would remove all doubt to all the talking heads out there just because they can’t justify any other reasoning.

If you think Zion faced as much defensive attention, double, triple teams and beyond, it's time to put down the pipe.
Nobody wanted to get in the guys way. He was a beast. They parted like the Red Sea. Nobody wants to be a poster child.

giphy.gif

Latest posts