Luka has an NFT!

It looks like he's selling a whole bunch more physical stuff in addition to the NFT. I gotta think that's going to be the major appeal for most people.

From the article:

The NFT will also carry a number of physical rights with it. The highest bidder will get a pair of autographed sneakers Garza wore in the Feb. 22 game when he broke Iowa's all-time scoring record, a private meditation session with Garza (he's into meditation), dinner and a movie with him, a game of HORSE against him, and lifetime VIP passes to any basketball camp Garza hosts (something he aims to do one day).

NFT? Is that different then NAFTA? I'm so far gone out of the loop heck if I even know what that means.

I am curious to see how much Luka's NFT will auction off for? My son was just telling me an NFT just sold for $69M! I don't Luka will get that, I'm wondering if he can get $100K?

I am curious to see how much Luka's NFT will auction off for? My son was just telling me an NFT just sold for $69M! I don't Luka will get that, I'm wondering if he can get $100K?
No matter what it sells for it won't be an accurate depiction of what the NFT itself sold for. There are plenty of rich Hawk fans out there who would likely pay 100K for the shoes alone.

Any human being who would buy an NFT without the sole intent of stealing money (the investment value) from whatever poor ignorant schlep bought it just to "own" it, is a complete fucking idiot.

There's a good chance this is just a trial run for his old man to try to corner the market on this stuff and be a leader in the clubhouse when the NIL stuff gets going. He probably doesn't care what it brings in because if his old man can become a digital bag man of sorts for college players and can skim 20 off the top, the family will have generational wealth even if Luka never plays hoops again.

There's a good chance this is just a trial run for his old man to try to corner the market on this stuff and be a leader in the clubhouse when the NIL stuff gets going. He probably doesn't care what it brings in because if his old man can become a digital bag man of sorts for college players and can skim 20 off the top, the family will have generational wealth even if Luka never plays hoops again.
Well there ya go... Even if it's 5% instead of 20 or whatever with the kind of volume they want to start pushing that could add up really fast to be just that. Generational wealth...

I always wished I could just come up with some genius idea that I could sell. Just the idea. Not have to invent something just some crazy idea that I could sell to someone else and make me rich. No such luck yet anyway....

LOL my ancient ass didn't know what an NFT was until I read the article.
I still don't understand what it actually is I don't think. But whatever. I'm not gonna throw my money around to that which I don't understand so.... May the smarter richer folks go have their fun.

I think his old man has a history of poor financial choices. How much did they give schools from sales of their Let the Peacock Fly shirts?

Will there next be a JBo NFT? Why not??

I guess first we should see what Luka's goes for......................

I am not an expert by any means but here is how this works at least as best my pea brain understands it.

NFTs are sold on the Ethereum crypto currency platform. If you look at Luka's auction page under chain info you see ethereum. Bitcoin is the largest crypto currency and ethereum is send largest but there are now many more and more to come.

1 Bitcoin currently sells for around $57k, 1 Ethereum sells for around $2100, the price goes up and down on both. So when you see on Luka's page that 023593 bid 4 for $8400 he had bid 4 Ethereum. You have to have an ethereum account set up to make the bids. I have no idea how you do that.

Hope that helps a bit, a new world is dawning, eh.................

I am not an expert by any means but here is how this works at least as best my pea brain understands it.

NFTs are sold on the Ethereum crypto currency platform. If you look at Luka's auction page under chain info you see ethereum. Bitcoin is the largest crypto currency and ethereum is send largest but there are now many more and more to come.

1 Bitcoin currently sells for around $57k, 1 Ethereum sells for around $2100, the price goes up and down on both. So when you see on Luka's page that 023593 bid 4 for $8400 he had bid 4 Ethereum. You have to have an ethereum account set up to make the bids. I have no idea how you do that.

Pretty spot on. I've done some crypto mining and have a good amount sitting in a few different wallets. There are several apps out there that you could use to buy/sell. Blockchain is an interesting technology, it really makes a lot of sense once you do some reading about it. There are several thousand different coins out there and most of them are trash - but some of them have a bright future.

I see that the price tag for 4 Ethereum is now down from the $8400 it was when I typed the earlier post. I just checked and 1 Ethereum is now down to $1996. The price will change between now and when the auction ends on Friday. Then the final price will be determined.

Pretty spot on. I've done some crypto mining and have a good amount sitting in a few different wallets. There are several apps out there that you could use to buy/sell. Blockchain is an interesting technology, it really makes a lot of sense once you do some reading about it. There are several thousand different coins out there and most of them are trash - but some of them have a bright future.
NFTs are actually different from and separate from bitcoin and cryptocurrencies. It's true that you can buy NFTs with cryptocurrency, but you can also buy them with dollars or Euros or gold or anything else.

An NFT is a non-fungible token that can really take any form. Non-fungible meaning that they're unique and cannot be substituted or duplicated at all (because they are encrypted by way of blockchain). Currencies like USD and bitcoin are very much fungible meaning that you can substitute one of the same kind for another. For example, I can take a US dollar and exchange or replace it for another US dollar and have no change in value or any other material difference.

One of the best examples of NFTs is how lately trading cards (and other artwork) have been sold as tokens. In this example you have a "digital" trading card or piece of art which also has a digital token that's encrypted using blockchain certifying that it's unique, and that you own it. What's making these things sell for literally tens of millions is that these tokens are unique and cannot be copied or counterfeited due to the blockchain encryption. Super rich people are basically paying millions just to say they have a unique string of 1s and 0s stored on a computer somewhere that 1) they cannot see, and 2) has no functional use. This is why it's being treated as a bubble about to burst.

Honestly NFTs are one of the dumbest things ever conceptualized unless you are an investor taking advantage of the perceived value to make some money in the short term.

The whole idea is ridiculous. Let's say I post to my twitter account (I don't), and let's say one of my tweets became popular. At that point I decide I'm going to "sell" my tweet to someone so they could say they own that tweet because it was such a good one. Keep in mind there's no physical tweet, or anything tangible whatsoever. It's just the mental concept of ownership. So I put the idea out there that, "Hey folks, you could be the EXCLUSIVE owner of my really funny tweet, and I'll even create an encrypted digital 'token' that proves you own my tweet." All it takes is a few rich assholes in an auction pissing match who want to prove that they're richer and more exclusive than everyone else and all of a sudden someone spent $10M for a "token" stored on a computer somewhere that they can never even see, nor can they do anything with it other than sell it to some other idiot later. But...they now "own" fryowa's tweet. It's theirs.

They cannot see it, it has no functional use, there's no royalties, future income generation, and it's totally illiquid, but they just paid $10M for an encrypted certificate that says they own it. A tweet.

This is EXACTLY what Garza's doing with his trading card. Is he smart for doing it? Yep.

Is someone smart to buy it? NOPE. It's a fad and a bubble (at least in the way we're discussing it here; I believe there will be a market for NFTs representing tangible assets in the future), and even if you look at it as an investment, who the hell is going to give you a dime for it 5 years from now? If Frank Kaminsky had done this 6 years ago and you paid say $100,000 for one of these digital token playing cards, do you think you'd find anyone to give you five grand for it today?

NFTs for intellectual property, especially digital property with no physical form, is a completely stupid concept, again, unless you can make some cash quick from resale. It is nothing more than a pissing contest between wealthy folks to buy electrical charges stored on a computer with zero use or income generating potential.

Latest posts