LSU TD Called Back Taunting Rule: Poll

Wha do you think about the new taunting rule?

• Like it

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Dislike it

Votes: 56 56.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DUMB RULE, remember when the NFL went all Nazi on celebrations and the everyone started calling it the NO FUN LEAGUE ... this is ridiculous ... you want to punish a kid for taunting, when he was just excited, give me a break

DUMB RULE, remember when the NFL went all Nazi on celebrations and the everyone started calling it the NO FUN LEAGUE ... this is ridiculous ... you want to punish a kid for taunting, when he was just excited, give me a break

The kid can do whatever he wants after he scores, and the only penalty will be the old 15-yarder. How hard is it to wait another 5 yards?

I like the old rule better. I think the new rule should be a taunting/celebration combo that can be called either way. If it happens before or during the td, it's a 20 yard penalty enforced after the next kickoff has been played, and the td should still count. If it happens after the play is over it's a 10 yard penalty enforced after the next kickoff has been played. Dang, I should be on the rules committee.

Would you consider this taunting?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07G43Z49mzU]Iowa State Big Plays vs. UCONN (Courtesy ESPN2) - YouTube[/ame]

All Reynolds did was hold his arm out, too. I agree it should have been flagged, but he didn't do any worse than LSU's punter did.

wrong. He clearly looked back, extended his arm toward the other players and showed them the ball. It may not be over-the-top...but it's taunting. It was significantly more demonstrative than the LSU guy.

Last edited:
wrong. He clearly looked back, extended his arm toward the other players and showed them the ball. It may not be over-the-top...but it's taunting. It was significantly more demonstrative than the LSU guy.

It's basically the same thing. But regardless, the punter was taunting as well, and deserved a flag.

Don't like the rule, shouldn't be able to take points off the board for taunting, should be 15 yards on the kick off. But it was clearly taunting and the flag was correct. Probably should have been penalized for going and celebrating with the fans after the play also to be honest.

I don't think Reynold's was necessarily worse, just different, Reynold's pointed at the other team where the LSU punter looked back in a "you can't catch me" type manner, both were clearly intended to taunt to other team and Reynold's should have been flagged for his too.

Personally, I don't like the rule too much because of the discrepancies in calling the penalty. I understand they want kids to be sportsmanlike, but taking points off the board? It's just so severe.

Will they call that penalty if it's on a game winning touchdown? What if it's the NCG? What if instead of high-stepping or pointing the player slows down and just walks into the end zone? What if the player stops at the 1, breaks the plane of the goal line with the ball, and falls into the endzone? It's a touchdown before his celebration has even started, but the celebration did start outside of the end zone.

I know it's all hypothetical (what if what if), but where does the line get drawn between no flag, flag, or point removing flag? Example how unnecessarily sensitive refs can be...

http://youtu.be/-Z_KkLT-Fs8

Don't like the rule, shouldn't be able to take points off the board for taunting, should be 15 yards on the kick off. But it was clearly taunting and the flag was correct. Probably should have been penalized for going and celebrating with the fans after the play also to be honest.

I don't think Reynold's was necessarily worse, just different, Reynold's pointed at the other team where the LSU punter looked back in a "you can't catch me" type manner, both were clearly intended to taunt to other team and Reynold's should have been flagged for his too.

Any other penalty that occurs during the play is a live-ball foul. Why shouldn't taunting be? It SHOULD only be a dead-ball foul if the play has actually been blown dead.

Every D-1 player knows about the rule...if they F up and get penalized, it's on them. It's no different than some dipsh!t putting a block in someone's back and having a TD called back...the player knows a block in the back is going to get a TD wiped away if he gets flagged for it.

This is worst rule I think ive ever seen. While the play is going on a player should be allowed to react naturally.

It shouldn't matter one bit if you taunt, its football, not golf.

Seems somewhat innocuous, an extremely mild taunt, that is the reason the penalty should have been called. If you are going to Taunt, Bring IT.....

december_07_1_41.jpg

Here's your ball back, Baby.....

:)

Any other penalty that occurs during the play is a live-ball foul. Why shouldn't taunting be? It SHOULD only be a dead-ball foul if the play has actually been blown dead.

Because other live ball penalties like holding or pass interference have an immediate impact on the ability to make a play or score a touchdown. A punter extending his arms for one second has ZERO impact on how the play unfolded. Make it a 15 yard penalty enforced on the kickoff to hamper field position and lets move on

Taking points off the board for someone flipping into the end zone affects the outcome of a game by taking points off the board...that doesnt make any sense

Latest posts