LSU TD Called Back Taunting Rule: Poll

Wha do you think about the new taunting rule?

• Like it

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Dislike it

Votes: 56 56.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DuffMan

This happend over the weekend. To my knowledge it's the first time the new taunting rule has been utilized to take points off the board. In this instance it cost LSU 4 points as after the penalty they failed to reach the end zone and had to settle for 3. Perhaps the biggest loss was that of the punter who probably saw his only career TD run disappear.

Now there is no question the rule was properly enforced on this play, and it's exactly the type of thing that the rule was designed to deter. My question is what does everyone think about the rule now?

Clearly the kid was celebrating/taunting before he reached the endzone but is it right to take away what is probably this guys only career TD for a split second lack in judgement?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT_TGuoLdmk]LSU Punter Brad Wing Fake Punt for TD before penalty - YouTube[/ame]

i agree with it simply because it IS the rule. i've seen others that weren't called that were worse than what he did, but it is still the rule. maybe the refs punished him because he's the punter and thought it was funny he was taunting

I like the rule for excessive taunting (I know where is the line) but this kid realized what he was doing and pulled them back. It's not like he was Deion Sanders high kicking his way in, or did an unnecessary dive. he's the punter.

It's tough, I don't like the rule when it limits any reaction by the player, though if he had waited 5 more yards it would've been fine.

Tough call.

You can't accidentally taunt, the player knows exactly what he's doing, so I think it's a good rule. If he wants to be a dumb***, he deserves the penalty.

upon further evaluation, i'm not sure if the kid was actually taunting his opponent. he's the punter. his job is to kick balls. now he has been asked to run. as he kept running, he realized he was getting close to a wall and wasn't sure if he should stop running or keep running into the wall. so he put his arms out as if to ask his teammates "what do i do?". they told him to keep running so he did. upon crossing the goal line(again, he's a punter and not used to running), his legs became like jelly and he started stumbling and ran into the wall.

penalty is crap

Stupid rule. Any rule that can be interpreted differently by every group of officials should not be on the books. In this case, I have seen a dozen more blatant exhibitions of "taunting" that weren't called. How can this rule be considered fair?

upon further evaluation, i'm not sure if the kid was actually taunting his opponent. he's the punter. his job is to kick balls. now he has been asked to run. as he kept running, he realized he was getting close to a wall and wasn't sure if he should stop running or keep running into the wall. so he put his arms out as if to ask his teammates "what do i do?". they told him to keep running so he did. upon crossing the goal line(again, he's a punter and not used to running), his legs became like jelly and he started stumbling and ran into the wall.

penalty is crap

I watched that a few times and while my first inclination is to think he was taunting, I could have been persuaded that what he was doing was reacting to the defense. Watch a young receiver. They will often look like that when they are preparing to catch the ball.

But, Wing said very clearly that he WAS showboating. So, it's all moot.

I know this isnt the case for this situation but would you want to win because the other team got a td called back for this.

I'm ok with the rule and it's unlikely a KF coached team will ever be penalized for it.

That said, this poor kids was a punter! A PUNTER! Man, he'll likely never EVER get a chance to score another TD, especially a long scamper like he had. I feel bad for him. Screw LSU though.

I'm ok with the rule and it's unlikely a KF coached team will ever be penalized for it.

That said, this poor kids was a punter! A PUNTER! Man, he'll likely never EVER get a chance to score another TD, especially a long scamper like he had. I feel bad for him. Screw LSU though.

I dont know anytime Hyde has scored you see him dragging his feet into the endzone. Just takes one zebra thats got something to prove.

I know it was late in the 1st qtr, but any possibilty that the refs figured the game wasn't going to be close and used it as the appropriate opportunity for players throughout the country to see the penalty and to refrain from doing anything that could cost the team.

Refs aren't that good are they?

On one of ISU's touchdowns wasn't there even more obvious taunting that wasn't called?

Last edited:
Kickers are kind of dorks to begin with, so when a kicker tries to act cool like other players do naturally, they look even dorkier. Therefore, give him the taunting penalty just for being a dork when he did that.

The rule is definitely tough to enforce because it's open to interpretation, but in principle, I like it. And while other plays can be interpreted differently, this one was clearly going against the rule, and it's the kind of thing I'd prefer to see disappear. Celebrate AFTER you score. Unless you feel like risking doing something stupid like DeSean Jackson did in the 2005 Army AA game.

I agree with the rule and am generally a stickler for the rules and have been an official in the past.

However, I would not have flagged this one. All the player did was hold his arms out.

I would have flagged the one in the ISU-UConn game.

I agree with the rule and am generally a stickler for the rules and have been an official in the past.

However, I would not have flagged this one. All the player did was hold his arms out.

I would have flagged the one in the ISU-UConn game.

All Reynolds did was hold his arm out, too. I agree it should have been flagged, but he didn't do any worse than LSU's punter did.

Latest posts