Lowe requests transfer

I love the Hawks as much as the next guy, but at some point you have to be able to look at things with a little bit of objectivity and realize that the university/program has put itself in a pretty serious situation here by what they put these kids and their families through.

Would you suggest they sit around and play patty cake instead of getting/staying in shape for a brutal B10 schedule? Considering what I do know, I would have to say that some of them had slacked off a bit between bowl prep and the workout.

I was following your lead and just throwing **** out. Wasn't that what we were supposed to do?

Of course. You just keep on keepin' on. You're doing fine.

On a realted topic that I'm sure you're interested in, which of Michael Winslow's bits do you personally find to be most entertaining? The sonar beeps, the electric guitar, or the distorted microphone voice?

Of course. You just keep on keepin' on. You're doing fine.

On a realted topic that I'm sure you're interested in, which of Michael Winslow's bits do you personally find to be most entertaining? The sonar beeps, the electric guitar, or the distorted microphone voice?

Not a fan. I was more of a Hightower guy, with the big guns and such.

You hope Lowe regains his health, first and foremost. But the request for transfer and his slow recovery don't jive.

His scholarship would be honored, he'd get his education and all the medical care he needs at IOWA even if he's unable to play. Why transfer unless it's playing time he's really thinking about.

realize that the university/program has put itself in a pretty serious situation here by what they put these kids and their families through.

Your comment would make sense if the school intentionally, indifferently or recklessly tried to harm or damage these kids. The school didn't "put" these kids through anything. It was a very unfortunate, yet unforeseen, outcome from an event that had been performed in the past without incident. The school learned from it, and has corrected it. From a PR standpoint, I wish it didn't happen at Iowa, but it did.

My feeling is everyone should get off their self-righteous high horse. It's very easy after the fact to look back and disapprovingly wag your finger. But the fact is, no one was doing that beforehand, including the medical and training staff. An incident occurred that no one wanted to have happen. If they ignored or swept the incident under the rug, then they would be reckless and indifferent. So far, I've seen nothing to suggest that occurred.

Would you suggest they sit around and play patty cake instead of getting/staying in shape for a brutal B10 schedule? Considering what I do know, I would have to say that some of them had slacked off a bit between bowl prep and the workout.

So sending a dozen or so guys to the hospital was a good warning shot to fire across their beam? That's kind of how your statement comes off. I sincerely hope the coaching/training staff would employ such a Draconian measure.

I realize this is a team preparing to compete at a very high level of play, so rigorous workouts are an absolute necessity. But the fact remains that the staff is responsible for allowing things to get pushed to the point where it became a serious medical issue. I don't think anyone wanted to put kids in the hospital, but the fact still remains that they DID - like it or not, the program is going to get what's coming to it, whether any of us like it or not.

For the record, before I get labeled as a Clone fan, on a subjective level I certainly don't like it because I love the Hawks and want to see them succeed, but on an objective level I can certainly see how complications like lawsuits and defections are justifiable.

Iowa football player Willie Lowe still may remain on the team, despite being granted an official release of his scholarship, according to a family member.
“If I had to guess right now, I’d say Willie goes through the process of seeing if there are other options, and then at the end of the day, sticking with the Iowa program,” Lowe’s uncle, Troy Fultz, told the Des Moines Register this morning. “That’s what Willie is thinking right now.”

Willie Lowe family member says he may remain on team | Hawk Central

This. I wish we would have kicked all the players that ended up in the hospital off of the team. If you can't stay in shape over a three week break that really shows your dedication to the team. We need to cut the weak links before we have another season full of 4th quarter collaspes.

Have any Hawks who have ever went to the NFL ended up in the hospital after doing the same workout? Nope, but underachieving guys like Bernstein and Lowe end up there, I don't think thats a coincidence.

You hope Lowe regains his health, first and foremost. But the request for transfer and his slow recovery don't jive.

His scholarship would be honored, he'd get his education and all the medical care he needs at IOWA even if he's unable to play. Why transfer unless it's playing time he's really thinking about.

The fact that the family wants to get another, independent medical opinion is another thing that doesn't really jive either. Don't get me wrong, I can understand wanting to get a second medical opinion ... however, the University of Iowa Hospitals provide world-class medical care AND the Iowa Football medical staff is absolutely top notch. The medical staff obviously place the health of the player ahead of anything else ... as they should ... even if that ends up not being good news with regard to the football career of the player (Kanellis, Vernon Jackson, Jayme Murphy, etc all being guys who dealt with such "bad news"). The point being that Lowe wouldn't have gotten cleared by the medical staff if they still had concerns.

This. I wish we would have kicked all the players that ended up in the hospital off of the team. If you can't stay in shape over a three week break that really shows your dedication to the team. We need to cut the weak links before we have another season full of 4th quarter collaspes.

Have any Hawks who have ever went to the NFL ended up in the hospital after doing the same workout? Nope, but underachieving guys like Bernstein and Lowe end up there, I don't think thats a coincidence.

Prater was one of the thirteen and would have been in the NFL had he decided to go. I don't question his workout ethics, do you?

That's a bit unfair, wouldn't you say? Honestly, it isn't like these guys sat on the couch and became fat slobs over the break. Some may not have worked out as hard as they usually do, but they weren't suddenly totally out of shape.

There has been indication that many of the affected players (especially the defensive backs) got into a competition with each other and simply pushed themselves too far. Prater, Bernstein, and Dibona (to name a few) are known for working their ***** off in the weight room...

That's a bit unfair, wouldn't you say? Honestly, it isn't like these guys sat on the couch and became fat slobs over the break. Some may not have worked out as hard as they usually do, but they weren't suddenly totally out of shape.

There has been indication that many of the affected players (especially the defensive backs) got into a competition with each other and simply pushed themselves too far. Prater, Bernstein, and Dibona (to name a few) are known for working their ***** off in the weight room...

I don't agree with his post but didn't Poggi's dad basically say this is exactly what he did over break?

The fact that the family wants to get another, independent medical opinion is another thing that doesn't really jive either. Don't get me wrong, I can understand wanting to get a second medical opinion ... however, the University of Iowa Hospitals provide world-class medical care AND the Iowa Football medical staff is absolutely top notch. The medical staff obviously place the health of the player ahead of anything else ... as they should ... even if that ends up not being good news with regard to the football career of the player (Kanellis, Vernon Jackson, Jayme Murphy, etc all being guys who dealt with such "bad news"). The point being that Lowe wouldn't have gotten cleared by the medical staff if they still had concerns.

If I went through this, got cleared by the medical staff but still didn't feel quite right, I absolutely would want another opinion. I would imagine that something like this is quite scary. None of them picked up on any indications during the workout (the workout was hard, but everything felt "normal"). Then, suddenly, you are ******* brown and you find out that your muscles are being broken down and endangering your liver/etc. How do you know what you look/feel for when nobody seems to be able to tell you what the warning signs are? If Lowe is concerned, he should absolutely get another opinion. Wouldn't you?

I'm no attorney but will play a member of the jury, here ...

What exactly is there to sue over?
-- Medical expenses? Covered and paid.
-- Loss of income? How can this be proven, at this point in time? Seems to me the only argument could be made if he is still unable to perform due specifically to the long-term, irreversible effects of rhabdo at any level of professional football, permanently. This is something that could not be known until at least next spring, when he would be preparing for a shot at the NFL. How can it be proven that he was ever going to be good enough to play professionally? All present and recent evidence (failure to progress on the depth chart and actually being passed over before the rhabdo occurred) suggests otherwise.
-- Punitive damages? Generally these are awarded due to negligence and / or intent, both of which have been dismissed by independent review.

I'm sure there are plenty of attorneys and court rooms that will entertain a lawsuit but I'm struggling to see the integrity of the case.

Jon, for the love of God, shut this thread down. Worst piece of garbage I've seen in a long time.

I don't agree with his post but didn't Poggi's dad basically say this is exactly what he did over break?

Yeah, but the fact that Poggi sat around doesn't mean that anyone/everyone else did. Some of "the 13" are known as being workout warriors, so I am rather doubting that they all sat around...

I assume this is being typed from your couch with the hand that isn't covered in Cheeto dust. If you honestly think this is the correct course of action and stand to take on then topic, then.... I honestly just feel sorry for you.

These are kids out there working their ***** off to perform for not only themselves and their team, but for the fans. 13 of them put enough into it that it landed them in the hospital for over a week and yet you sit here and berate them from the anonymity of your keyboard. What a joke.

I assume this is being typed from your couch with the hand that isn't covered in Cheeto dust. If you honestly think this is the correct course of action and stand to take on then topic, then.... I honestly just feel sorry for you.

These are kids out there working their ***** off to perform for not only themselves and their team, but for the fans. 13 of them put enough into it that it landed them in the hospital for over a week and yet you sit here and berate them from the anonymity of your keyboard. What a joke.

Mike's post was so stupid I just assumed it was sarcasm.

Latest posts