Lost Payne News in the Busy Day for Hawks

JDavis11

On most days I think this would have gotten a little more attention so I wanted to make sure people didn't miss it. Scott Dochtormen tweeted "Just talked with Cully Payne. Doesn't look good for him playing this year."

From my understanding he would be eligible to redshirt this year. Obviously Cartwright is doing a tremendous job but this does impact our depth. I was one of the many criticizing Payne's play at the beginning of the season but it is impressive that he was doing all of that while playing with a season ending injury.

Twitter

That's significant. I know Cartwright is playing well, but the season is a long grind.

Thanks for spotting this. This is not good news, either for Cully or for the program. PGs and RBs -- seems you can never have enough at Iowa.

Or, it might signal a transition. If Marble ends up stepping up at point in relief of Cartwright, it might allow Fran to shop for the PG of the future more aggressively.

Cully is a capable point, but for the team to really turn the corner they need an upgrade at that position. Might not want to have that roster spot taken up for three years. Two years is one thing, but three is a different matter.

Or, it might signal a transition. If Marble ends up stepping up at point in relief of Cartwright, it might allow Fran to shop for the PG of the future more aggressively.

Cully is a capable point, but for the team to really turn the corner they need an upgrade at that position. Might not want to have that roster spot taken up for three years. Two years is one thing, but three is a different matter.

At worst Cully could be the next Brody Boyd if Iowa gets someone like Paige to come in and he can beat out Cully. I think Cully could be a good weapon off the bench. If nothing else, Cully showed he has value from his play last year as a true freshman. I'm willing to give him a mulligan for his play this year considering the injury he was playing with, esp if it ends his season. If we've learned anything from the last few years of bball you can never have too much depth.

I like Marble and think he has a unique and useful skill set, but he is not nearly as good as Cully at the point at this time. The impact of losing Cully for the season will be revealed in BigTen play.

On the plus side, more minutes for younger guys and Cully has another year in the system to mature and learn the ins-and-outs of Frans offensive philosophy (note: I worked real hard there not to say "system").

Anyone else wonder whether the year off gives Cully more time to think whether he would get more PT somewhere else?

Anyone else wonder whether the year off gives Cully more time to think whether he would get more PT somewhere else?

I've thought about it but I really doubt it. I'm sure he thinks when he is healthy he can challenge or win the starting spot and even if he didn't Cartwright only has one more year.

I think he will stay at Iowa. Him and Cartwright will have plenty of minutes to share. I try to stay optimistic but I dont see Paige coming here not sure where Iowa stands with PGs in the class of 11, but I'm sure Fran would like at least a combo guard incase a situation like this arises next year.

I just hope he can heal well enough to play again.

The one issue is that these back injuries never truly heal all the way.

Good luck to CP. Hope to see him on the court again in Black and Gold.

this could be a blessing. if get a PG for 2012 (bell?) that is not an elite player, we will have Cully for a year to help out.

however we would be down to 1 ride for 2013 which is supposed to be a strong class

Ugh. Could we have one year where a team doesn't suffer from some sort of season ending injury?

Ugh. Could we have one year where a team doesn't suffer from some sort of season ending injury?

Never, it seems.
This is bad news on several levels.
1. For Cully, of course, it is really bad,as he was fired up to play bb.
2. For the team, it leaves Iowa very thin at pg,a position of weakness.
3. For long term recruiting, this could mess with our hopes for a good pg recruit in 2012 like Paige,as now Cully would have 2 full years of eligibility entering that season,which could discourage a Paige who might want to start immediately. Now, if Cully was off the bench to back up a pg star like Paige,fine.

I like Cully,but I am hoping Fran can improve the pg position after Cartwright is done.

Just a darn shame for all concerned. Iowa athletics continues to absorb way more major injuries than their rivals,it seems to me.

And? I'm not going to rip the kid but he was going to lose his starting job to Cartwright at some point.

How can you put that when we didn't see a healthy Payne from Game 1? He didn't look comfortable and wanted to try and play through it. A healthy Payne is still clearly better than Bryce, now that is not a shot at Bryce. Payne played very well as a freshman, but had nothing behind him, yet he played hard all season and had some great games. That is the Payne I remember and hope to see again, he was a very good freshman on a terrible team last year. Take Payne away last year and think about how ugly it would have really been, really, just think about it.
Look at what May is doing after one offseason with Coach Fran, I expected Payne to make the same type of leap and I think Fran did, look at my blog and the interview I had with him what he said about May and Payne.
Cully is truly hurt and I hope he can come back next year fully healthy. At worst maybe he can come back and give us a Jess Settles like performace in games his senior season. Limit his minutes let him play all out for that time and when he needs to sit, then so be it.

Talent will rise to top when competition level increases. Cully played very well down the stretch last year. He will be sorely missed. Can someone clarify what a sports hernia is. I assumed it was a tear in the lower abdominal wall in groin area. I am confused about back injury??? We also had a another tear higher in his abdomen, that was also surgically repaired.

Am I the only one that sees that no matter if Cully is back next year or not that Fran basically will play the tnire bench if they are best in there. Also, Cartwright is a junior this year, so a PG coming in would only have to worry about getting minutes. Usually that is a bad thing, but if you go to Iowa and you have the skills, Fran will put you in quite a bit.

The hard thing to figure out is not if you can play right away, it's more how much time you will get taken away as the starter.

The answer is...Fran will keep you in there as long as you can last!!!

Saw him walk off the court a couple of times last night and I thought it would be a miracle for him to play this year. Young guys heal quickly but he could barely move.

As far as his future, I think we need to cut him some slack. He tried to play through this so we didn't see him at his best. Last year he had back issues. It may be hard for him to return to his potential form.

I like Marble and think he has a unique and useful skill set, but he is not nearly as good as Cully at the point at this time. The impact of losing Cully for the season will be revealed in BigTen play.

On the plus side, more minutes for younger guys and Cully has another year in the system to mature and learn the ins-and-outs of Frans offensive philosophy (note: I worked real hard there not to say "system").

+1!

Latest posts