Lost Payne News in the Busy Day for Hawks

I like Marble and think he has a unique and useful skill set, but he is not nearly as good as Cully at the point at this time. The impact of losing Cully for the season will be revealed in BigTen play.

On the plus side, more minutes for younger guys and Cully has another year in the system to mature and learn the ins-and-outs of Frans offensive philosophy (note: I worked real hard there not to say "system").

I just realized that I said "system" earlier in the sentence. Son of a ......

I can't not say it. It will be years until I get that word out of my system. Crap, did it again.

This is bad news both for this year's team and for future recruiting. I wish Cully a speedy and complete recovery, and he would have been a key member of this year's squad because we are so thin at guard. However, my hope would have been to have Cully become a part of a deep bench--emphasis on the word bench--through recruiting over the next two years. That process now won't proceed quite as it might have.

I hope Cully comes back healthy next year and shoves it right up the a$$e$ of everyone on this board who want to show him the door for no good reason and who seem to assume that players come into a program as good as they're ever going to be and can't grasp the concept of "improvement" and "maturation"...

I have news for you, JHHawk.

Other programs suffer just as badly. Now, maybe they have more depth, but the injury problems and the players they hit are not unique to Iowa. You just follow Iowa more closely. Robbie Hummel two years in a row as well as Purdue's MULTIPLE football injuries this year when they have a new coach the last two years that many people seem to think is a pretty good coach and he is trying to turn it around?

That is just one example, but another might be MSU and their PG injury during the NCAA Tournament last year and their head coach this year in football.

They happen everywhere. There aren't any "Injury gods" picking on us.

Latest posts