Lost Another One

MisterLucky

Alex Illikainen, who's decision came down to Iowa and Wisconsin, chose the Badgers. Another green participant ribbon for Fran and the staff.

Alex Illikainen, who's decision came down to Iowa and Wisconsin, chose the Badgers. Another green participant ribbon for Fran and the staff.

Hopefully, it turns out to be a lucky thing for Iowa that Illikainen chose Wisconsin over Iowa. It will be interesting to see how it all shapes up when it is all said and done. We might not really know that completely for another four years.

Well at least it was to a school with a good basketball program. Wisconsin is competitive in the B1G year in and year out.

This year we will see just how good of a coach Fran really is and how good his player development is. This we be a very interesting year as he has the talent to be very dangerous if they are coached up. On the other hand he had a lot of talent that was kicking tail until they ran out of gas or whatever the reason was for the collapse.

I am hoping for the best with fingers crossed but would not be shocked if we finish in the lower half of the conference. Someone will have to step up and SHINE and be a leader on this team. Our Junior class should give us a good glimpse into what to expect for their senior season and that same senior class will a strong statement of what Fran's legacy will be at Iowa.

I hope no one has unrealistic expectations from White. He is not that type of player that can dominate a game, but he can be a significant contributor to a team that is well balanced. It will be very interesting to see which players pick up the scoring void left with Marble's departure.

Last edited:
Tough timing with Wisky coming off a final four appearance.

Fran seems to be getting further and further with better recruits.

Tough timing with Wisky coming off a final four appearance.

Fran seems to be getting further and further with better recruits.

Shouldnt you be worried that Fred lost those two this weekend? They both had ISU offers and I don't think ISU was on either top 5

Through Ed Morrow in there too. Goodness. Fran not much of a closer that's for sure, neither on the recruiting trail nor with his coaching.

Can we agree it's about time to think about a recruiting minded coach? This is getting a bit humorous. So cliche but we might be the bridesmaid-iest of the bridesmaids.

This is getting out of hand. Coming in 2nd is now merely a theme of Fran's recruiting abilities. Objectively speaking, the guy cannot close.

Can we agree it's about time to think about a recruiting minded coach? This is getting a bit humorous. So cliche but we might be the bridesmaid-iest of the bridesmaids.

Let's not call for Fran just yet but he does need to get a snake oil salesman recruiter on staff, however, otherwise he's taken Iowa as far as he can. Iowa is respectful program now but not going to be more than that in today's blue blood recruiting programs.

Tim Miles, Collins, and Pitino are getting it done on the recruiting end in a shorter period of time than Fran is. Those three's coaching still in question but Fran hasn't exactly been all the great with coaching decisions so far. Fran's developmental ability isn't in question but hoops is a different kind of monster than football. You can get away with developmental players in football a lot more than you can in basketball. Need some studs mixed in with the Aaron Whites and Dev Marbles though. Think how good Iowa would've been then.

This is getting out of hand. Coming in 2nd is now merely a theme of Fran's recruiting abilities. Objectively speaking, the guy cannot close.

Not impressed with his recruiting ability. Good for him he can spot talent before others but what good does that do? This is a huge season for him because it's clear he struggles with recruiting and if his coaching collapses continue as well this year then he's in some trouble. However, I do think 2015-2016 year is the deal breaker season for him. Woody/Gesell/Uthoff are seniors (the "talent" on the team) and then has his 2015 recruiting class as freshmen plus Dickerson and Uhl will be in system for a year. If he can't get it done in 15-16 then he isn't going to.

I think you are all forgetting the real problem here...Iowa is a "football-first school," just ask UCLA's coach :rolleyes:

More proof that positive media attention in the NCAA tournament in March goes a long way.

Shouldnt you be worried that Fred lost those two this weekend? They both had ISU offers and I don't think ISU was on either top 5

I think Fred has his sights set a little higher. I've never even heard of those two recruits til now and I follow ISUs recruiting pretty closely. He only has two scholarships left for 2015 and he's still waiting on Malik and Cheick. Then there is also the transfer market in the spring. You're lying to yourself if you think Fred went after either of those two extensively.

Both of Morrow's parents went to Nebraska and he grew up in Lincoln (mom played bball there and dad played football there) and Alex went to a team that has been deep in the tourney the last couple years not to mention #4 in the nation...CHILL OUT!!!!

Fran has pursued a bunch of top targets in the last couple of classes...2014 and 2015, but so far, have not hit on any of those top 150 targets....a dozen misses in 2014, and a bunch more for 2015. Not the end of the world, but other Big Ten schools are hitting on some top targets...even PSU, NW, Minny, Neb, and Purdue...all ahead of Iowa for 2015....not time to panic, but it has to be driving Fran crazy...he has been spinning his wheels on dozens of guys, and all that was a waste of energy and resources in the end....frustrating,....I like Fran a lot, so hope he can find a way.

Starting to think Fran not even an ok recruiter at all, he just well below average....striking out left and right....ugh

Both of Morrow's parents went to Nebraska and he grew up in Lincoln (mom played bball there and dad played football there) and Alex went to a team that has been deep in the tourney the last couple years not to mention #4 in the nation...CHILL OUT!!!!

It is not that these kids don't have legitimate/logical reasons for going where they went. It's just that almost every recruit since 2012 that has had the option between Iowa and a Power 5 conference team has chosen the other team. Individually, it is not a big deal, collectively it is becoming a bit disturbing.

Talent wins. We need to compete for Top 150 recruits to consistently win. Can't bank on every borderline power 5 recruit being Devyn Marble and Aaron White.

Guys. Fran made a 5 star recruit and he committed to Iowa. I think we have the talent to make it to the tourney for the next few years. Beyond that, it's hard to tell because we have no idea what these recruits will bring to the table. It only takes one big time recruit, like the Junior class that was ranked top 25. Fran will get it done.

Latest posts