Looks like people turning down interview offers right and left...

JanuaryTailgate

or stating they are not interested in the job to end speculation. And though Dayton still in the NIT and of course any coach whose season is not yet over is not likely to say anything, Sports Illustrated’s Seth Davis reported Wednesday that Iowa had inquired about Gregory, but he wasn’t interested.

Just hire Steve Forbes and get it over with. And I swear, I will hit the next person I hear that say Forbes is merely an assistant has no major college head coaching experience!

My inside, very connected source still says Gregory #1, perhaps Drew (Not sure they like his personality, style), then Forbes

or stating they are not interested in the job to end speculation. And though Dayton still in the NIT and of course any coach whose season is not yet over is not likely to say anything, Sports Illustrated’s Seth Davis reported Wednesday that Iowa had inquired about Gregory, but he wasn’t interested.

Just hire Steve Forbes and get it over with. And I swear, I will hit the next person I hear that say Forbes is merely an assistant has no major college head coaching experience!
Why would you want to hit someone for stating the truth? He is a assistant coach and has never been a head coach at a major college program. :rolleyes:

Steve Forbes is our guy. He WANTS to coach here, is a heck of a recruiter, and has been around winning programs his whole career. Now why would we not want a guy with a great resume who has publicly said he WANTS to coach at IOWA? We are not going to get a big name head coach, we just dont have that prestige to do so. quit complaining and get behind our mens basketball program.

It's Big Ten basketball. Go big or go home is my philosophy. Barta cannot afford to "settle" for a coach just because it is someone who wants to coach here. He needs to sell the program to someone who has proven they can win regardless of the arena. His job as AD is to sell the program and make people want to come to Iowa City again.

I don't have anything against Forbes and he seems like he really wants to be in Iowa City, but I do not think this is the hire to reenergize fans quickly.

I'm still holding out for Scott Drew.

He told me that they are not sure they like the reputation that Drew has (Although he said it might be what we need!!). Focus is more on Gregory
I wouldnt mind Gregory but, id rather it go Drew, Forbes, Gregory. But id be happy with any of the three, better than boylen.

Iowa has no real hope of getting Scott Drew. If he talks, its simply an ends to get paid more at Baylor.

Nothing against Iowa.... It's just you don't leave Baylor with the top player in the nation coming in next year.... a great class of young talent..... amazing facilities....a hotbed of talent locally..... to come to Iowa. Just not gonna happen.

mm

Exactly Marc. I don't get why people think Drew is a possibility. I hope that the OP is right and that Forbes is #3 in line.

Iowa has no real hope of getting Scott Drew. If he talks, its simply an ends to get paid more at Baylor.

Nothing against Iowa.... It's just you don't leave Baylor with the top player in the nation coming in next year.... a great class of young talent..... amazing facilities....a hotbed of talent locally..... to come to Iowa. Just not gonna happen.

mm

Agree Marc- also, is it just me... or why would you jump ship (other than a HUGE salary increase) from Baylor where you worked to successfully rebuild to go to Iowa to rebuild?

Think he'd be great, but I question his interest beyond fan/media speculation. Maybe someone can show me something different.

mm

I doubt very much that Drew would be interested, but it's a mistake for an AD to make those kinds of assumptions. It's his job to ask directly and find out. It's not uncommon for people to be motivated by things that come as a surprise even to people who know them, let alone strangers who are simply speculating.

Agree Marc- also, is it just me... or why would you jump ship (other than a HUGE salary increase) from Baylor where you worked to successfully rebuild to go to Iowa to rebuild?

Think he'd be great, but I question his interest beyond fan/media speculation. Maybe someone can show me something different.

No. there is no way you leave Baylor when you are on the doorstep of competing for national championships year after year.

IF Drew talks, it's just to stay in the conversations and to get a raise. It's how the game works. It's why Rick Barnes comes out and removes his name from consideration for every job that comes up (regardless of if he's contacted).

Baylor is firing on all cylinders. Drew only leaves for an elite job or elite money once Baylor stops matching offers.

mm

You do not buy out Lick for 2.4 mil and just run out and hire an assistant coach because he wants to be here and he's from Long Tree. Impatience breeds mediocrity. Forbes is a fall back option but only when and if the guys still coaching the various tourneys are done playing. I'm actually excited to see how this plays out.

No. there is no way you leave Baylor when you are on the doorstep of competing for national championships year after year.

IF Drew talks, it's just to stay in the conversations and to get a raise. It's how the game works. It's why Rick Barnes comes out and removes his name from consideration for every job that comes up (regardless of if he's contacted).

Baylor is firing on all cylinders. Drew only leaves for an elite job or elite money once Baylor stops matching offers.

mm

I've read your opinion about how Drew might respond a couple of times now, but you still haven't articulated a reason not to ask.

You do not buy out Lick for 2.4 mil and just run out and hire an assistant coach because he wants to be here and he's from Long Tree. Impatience breeds mediocrity. Forbes is a fall back option but only when and if the guys still coaching the various tourneys are done playing. I'm actually excited to see how this plays out.

Interesting point here... maybe letting some of the dominoes shake themselves out will also better differentiate the guys that are just looking for ANY step up and the guys who would actually have interest in Iowa. I wonder if some of these guys would actually view Iowa as a destination job rather than just another stepping stone?

Latest posts