Looks like people turning down interview offers right and left...

No. there is no way you leave Baylor when you are on the doorstep of competing for national championships year after year.

IF Drew talks, it's just to stay in the conversations and to get a raise. It's how the game works. It's why Rick Barnes comes out and removes his name from consideration for every job that comes up (regardless of if he's contacted).

Baylor is firing on all cylinders. Drew only leaves for an elite job or elite money once Baylor stops matching offers.

mm

So you think Scott Drew's wants to coach in Waco for the remainder of his career? Rick Barnes removes his name because he is already at a top 5 program making $3-4 million per year in Austin, Tx which isn't too shabby of a town to live in.

After the mess Drew came into in Waco, I seriously doubt Iowa's program would scare him away. Add in the fact, that the facilities will be very nice when they are completed, I think Iowa has a lot to offer.

Iowa could more than double his salary.

So you think Scott Drew's wants to coach in Waco for the remainder of his career? Rick Barnes removes his name because he is already at a top 5 program making $3-4 million per year in Austin, Tx which isn't too shabby of a town to live in.

After the mess Drew came into in Waco, I seriously doubt Iowa's program would scare him away. Add in the fact, that the facilities will be very nice when they are completed, I think Iowa has a lot to offer.

Iowa could more than double his salary.

I dont see him wanting to rebuild another program, he hasnt reached the top at Baylor. It would be nice to have him though.

I agree- I don't see him wanting to immediately bolt Baylor. Although, I was surprised to see that he only makes $413k @Baylor, so maybe he is bought.

Valid point as well, that he could see an opportunity at Iowa to more easily rebuild and contend in a shorter time without some of the headaches that he had to go through at Baylor.

I agree that it is worth a pass at Drew, but as MM said, I would be surprised if he left that heap o talent this year, for the Iowa job. After he rejects us, if we are down to Forbes or Gregory...I could live wth either...but if Gregory costs as much as reported..screw that...If there is a substantial buyout and a 2 million dollar pricetag on top of the 2.4 million dollar buyout of Lick then Barta will have staked as much as 6 million for the next year on Gregory...is he that much better than Forbes. If he goes with Forbes it probably saves him at least 2.5 million in the next year alone...that pays Licks buyout. It would help Barta recover from his collossal mistake in Licks original 7 yr deal. Hire forbes, give him a 5 yr 5 million dollar deal,instead of a 7 year 14 million dollar deal plus 1.5-2 million dollar buyout for gregory.

Honestly, does anyone really think that Gregory would stimulate more interest in the Iowa fanbase than a Forbes + a top player package? I still think fans are more into the talent on the court than the guy in the suit on the sideline. That is what they pay to see,isn't it?

Now, that said, if they go with Gregory...well, it is their money,I guess, and I do not think he would be a bad hire.
One thing I think that MM said that really does resonate...the most successful coaches finds ways to get a lot of talent,and then keep them together and happy,somehow.
Look at the top teams...they all go very deep.
Even Dayton...they had 9 guys score vs Illinois in the first 8 minutes of that game.
Tenn....lots of players...they seem to have fun playing and Pearl,like Mr. Davis,plays a lot of guys.
KSU...martin brings in a ton of great ballers...but they seem ok with their roles.
I really think Lick failed in this regard...he had such a narrow definition of a contributing player, his rotation was very small, and erratic. Nobody on the bench knew their role..and they ended up leaving.
OSU is about the only team that has a short rotation,but that will change next year when Matta brings in like 5 guys who are all top 125 and only lose Turner,maybe.

Bottom line...getting the talent to commit is only half the battle...then you have to keep them happy with their contribution to a winning program. I think both forbes and gregory have been able to do this.

Iowa has no real hope of getting Scott Drew. If he talks, its simply an ends to get paid more at Baylor.

Nothing against Iowa.... It's just you don't leave Baylor with the top player in the nation coming in next year.... a great class of young talent..... amazing facilities....a hotbed of talent locally..... to come to Iowa. Just not gonna happen.

mm

Ever been to Waco? Iowa City is Paris by comparison. And no chiggers.

I agree its unlikely. But there are some factors in Iowa's favor: salary, location, quality of schools (he has young kids), Big Ten stage, Midwest roots (family in Indiana).

Last edited:
or stating they are not interested in the job to end speculation. And though Dayton still in the NIT and of course any coach whose season is not yet over is not likely to say anything, Sports Illustrated’s Seth Davis reported Wednesday that Iowa had inquired about Gregory, but he wasn’t interested.

Just hire Steve Forbes and get it over with. And I swear, I will hit the next person I hear that say Forbes is merely an assistant has no major college head coaching experience!

Don't confuse typical elements of the hiring process with a belief that there is a total lack of interest in this job by quality coaches. You're watching sausage being made. Not always pretty. Hopefully we'll all enjoy the finished product.

I don't want to settle for Gregory, he has not done much there at Dayton and even if he wins the NIT its the NIT he didn't go to the big dance. Give me an assistant from a major program that is a great recruiter.

I agree that it is worth a pass at Drew, but as MM said, I would be surprised if he left that heap o talent this year, for the Iowa job. After he rejects us, if we are down to Forbes or Gregory...I could live wth either...but if Gregory costs as much as reported..screw that...If there is a substantial buyout and a 2 million dollar pricetag on top of the 2.4 million dollar buyout of Lick then Barta will have staked as much as 6 million for the next year on Gregory...is he that much better than Forbes. If he goes with Forbes it probably saves him at least 2.5 million in the next year alone...that pays Licks buyout. It would help Barta recover from his collossal mistake in Licks original 7 yr deal. Hire forbes, give him a 5 yr 5 million dollar deal,instead of a 7 year 14 million dollar deal plus 1.5-2 million dollar buyout for gregory.

Honestly, does anyone really think that Gregory would stimulate more interest in the Iowa fanbase than a Forbes + a top player package? I still think fans are more into the talent on the court than the guy in the suit on the sideline. That is what they pay to see,isn't it?

Now, that said, if they go with Gregory...well, it is their money,I guess, and I do not think he would be a bad hire.
One thing I think that MM said that really does resonate...the most successful coaches finds ways to get a lot of talent,and then keep them together and happy,somehow.
Even Dayton...they had 9 guys score vs Illinois in the first 8 minutes of that game.
Tenn....lots of players...they seem to have fun playing and Pearl,like Mr. Davis,plays a lot of guys.
KSU...martin brings in a ton of great ballers...but they seem ok with their roles.
I really think Lick failed in this regard...he had such a narrow definition of a contributing player, his rotation was very small, and erratic. Nobody on the bench knew their role..and they ended up leaving.
OSU is about the only team that has a short rotation,but that will change next year when Matta brings in like 5 guys who are all top 125 and only lose Turner,maybe.

Bottom line...getting the talent to commit is only half the battle...then you have to keep them happy with their contribution to a winning program. I think both forbes and gregory have been able to do this.

Why do you think Dayton is a top program? Lots of teams beat ILL.

I did not say that Dayton was a top program. I think the A-10 was very good this year, as Xaiver showed again last nite vs KSU.
Dayton competed to the wire vs many top teams last year, and so they were a bit better than their ultimate record.
As I said, Forbes is my choice over Gregory, but if we end up with Gregory...I think he could succeed at Iowa...just not on the level of Forbes...OK?

Why do you assume we are down to those two? You have no idea who Barta is targeting and who he has contacted. Back away from the ledge a little bit and let this play out. Don't assume we are down to 2-3 coaches.

Latest posts