Looking more like the 2020 season is in doubt.

KCTrainer

I had an event scheduled mid-June in the NC State Campus. Yesterday the event was canceled and we were informed that the University will not be allowing any events on University property until at least the fall semester is scheduled to begin. I have a client who is an employee at Duke and she was just informed that all on campus activities are canceled until the end of June and they are expecting that to be extended until mid to end of August. I know these are ACC schools but the college football season as a whole requires co-dependency of programs from different states. If they can’t have practices or any meetings until mid August that begins to really put the football season in doubt for those schools and it will be a domino effect. I really hope this isn’t the case, but it’s looking like it more and more.

I saw Oklahoma also banned all events on-campus until the end of Aug 1. Not sure how you'd get a football team ready if you start practice on Aug. 1. I just don't see a season happening this year. I love football, but I'm more concerned about these kids' well-being. Gotta put health and safety first.

I said this in another thread but I don't think any students will be on college campuses in the 2020-2021 academic year. K-12 public schools are pretty much in the same boat.

I said this in another thread but I don't think any students will be on college campuses in the 2020-2021 academic year. K-12 public schools are pretty much in the same boat.

I think it is likely kids will go back to school in August. It could be modified weeks or hours, etc. But there will be way better testing available by then where you can tell in 5 minutes. The stats are showing those below 18 very rarely have an issue with this illness. But they will not open up things deemed non-essential which are just for pleasure where large crowds would gather. That would allow a big quick spread and hard to identify who was exposed. I don't think any fall sports all the way up and down the chain.

And yes, the elderly and immune compromised have to stay out of the public and wait it out to a vaccine. That sucks, but there is no other choice.

And I hope coaches use this time to study and get more creative. certainly hope musicians do the same and a lot of good music comes out of all this downtime.

It's April 3rd. Talking about no football season or not students on campus come September is waaaaay premature. Let's see what happens over the next two months first.

I had an event scheduled mid-June in the NC State Campus. Yesterday the event was canceled and we were informed that the University will not be allowing any events on University property until at least the fall semester is scheduled to begin. I have a client who is an employee at Duke and she was just informed that all on campus activities are canceled until the end of June and they are expecting that to be extended until mid to end of August. I know these are ACC schools but the college football season as a whole requires co-dependency of programs from different states. If they can’t have practices or any meetings until mid August that begins to really put the football season in doubt for those schools and it will be a domino effect. I really hope this isn’t the case, but it’s looking like it more and more.
Just have Alabama and Ohio State play for the national title in January. The rest of the games don't mean that much.

I see the August games in question but think Big Ten games will be played. If not we got bigger problems to worry about.

I saw Oklahoma also banned all events on-campus until the end of Aug 1. Not sure how you'd get a football team ready if you start practice on Aug. 1. I just don't see a season happening this year. I love football, but I'm more concerned about these kids' well-being. Gotta put health and safety first.

I dont understand your thinking about an Aug 1st start to prepare a football team since Iowa and almost all D1 major teams start pre season camp in August. Of course they would have time.

Testing, Testijng , Testing. There may actually be about 2 million and maybe more in the US with this virus and or over it. Even with some stay at home orders for a month or so the doubling rate is going to keep increasing the numbers. If you could test your football team and staff you might be able to field a team but without testing no way any university would take the chance of getting sued big time. But Sept 1st maybe 30 million americans will have had covid, I dont know but it will be a lot of people. Unless you test them then who gets to be a spectator, a student , or a player.

Right now I do not see anything happening in schools because there are not near enough tests and schools are awesome for spreading diseases.

It's April 3rd. Talking about no football season or not students on campus come September is waaaaay premature. Let's see what happens over the next two months first.

Fair point. Still a long way off in the grand scheme of things.

But in talking to administrators over the last few weeks the consensus was basically this:

The momentum of this virus needs to take a complete 180 in order for the decision to be made by late July that students will be starting school on time. Whether that's a treatment being developed, social distancing getting control of things, change in the weather helping, everyone wearing masks, some other treatment being developed, etc.

The virus isn't likely to get less contagious so unless it is completely eradicated and/or ways to treat it or prevent it from spreading are developed the idea of having 200-2,000 kids in one building is not reasonable.

The news about Oklahoma and Ohio St. is significant, because if they've cancelled all on-campus activities until Aug. 1, that's a game-changer. KF laid it out this past week when he said in order to play a game on Sept. 5 they'd need to start practices by July 1 at the latest: 4 weeks for strength and conditioning, then another 4 weeks of regular August practices. If those two BTen and B12 powerhouses are not going to allow any student activities until Aug. 1, that automatically moves the college season back 1 month. Period. Looks like the best case scenario is probably beginning conference games around Oct. 1 at this point. Best case.

I’m not saying I agree this is the right move but It’s not premature to think about it being more likely that there won’t be a CFB season if power 5 schools are cancelling all on campus events through August.

If only conference games are played, that would be a financial bummer for Iowa, as this is a year when we have only 4 BTen home games. The conference would have to do some type of money-sharing distribution to equal it out for teams that have only 4 conference games this year. Very doable, and I would suspect likely at this point.

They had a a bit of a roundtable discussion on The Athletic about this topic. Basically all of the writers agreed that if the season can be completed during the 2020-2021 academic year, the ADs will make it happen. Even if its in empty stadiums for the TV money.

Whether thats an Oct-Dec regular season or Feb-April regular season. They even acknowledged the potential of players opting to skip the season all together if they're top draft prospects and the NFL drafting players that are playing anyway.

As many have pointed out it boils down to money. If college football is played this academic year most of the non-revenue sports will survive. Even though they might not be able to be played the upcoming academic year. But if college football isn't played next year, it will survive but only MBB, WBB, and 3-4 other women's sports (to balance out scholarship distribution of the football programs) will survive with it.

Latest posts