looking at next years offense

herbyhawk

Banned
the Tackle position is based on Reiff turning pro

QB JVB 3* SR 2ND string Ruduck 3* FR
RB Coker 4* JR 2ND string Garmon 4* FR as i expect McCall to leave and Garmon to commit
fb Rodgers 3* JR 2ND string Gimm 3* SR
WR Davis 4* SR 2ND string Hillyer 3* FR
TE CJF 4* JR 2ND string Hamilton 4* SO
OT Donnal 4* SO 2ND string Tobin 3* SR
OG MacMillen 3* JR 2ND string Walsh 4* FR
C Ferenzt 3* SR 2ND string Blythe 4* FR
OG Scherff 3* SO 2ND string Boffeli 3* JR
OT Van Sloten 3* JR 2ND string Ward 4* FR
WR KMM 2* SO 2ND string Schumpert 3* JR

by the looks of that we lose 3 SR's off the starting unit and 2 off the 2nd string
with 4 4*'s starting and 5 4*'s in the 2nd string
to my memory i can't remember having that kind of talent starting or for depth

The largr theme is WHY BL didn't succeed.

Had the physical tools. Had the frame. Had the swag, as the boys say.

But after half a decade in the Iowa football program, what did BL or the program gain from the experiment?

IOW, who farted? Was it BL or other parties?

I guess we shouldn't notice that Tobin started all year, or the fact that MacMillan's return is still far from certain.

But will this unit be coached up and coached to scored 32 pts per game.

If the offense scores an extra td a game we an win 8 games. Just like this year, score another td in games or two fgs and we are 9-3.

Nine and three folks.

What can KF do to up the offensive efficiency?

Maybe have a passing game that quits throwing 4 yd routes on 3-7?

Hey I am not upset at players. I think the coaches need to use them better try to score more.

when you get one highly rated recruit and doesn't live up to the ratings he is easily pointed out
but when you get multiple highly rated recruits they are less readily seen and are not missed
this is what seperates Iowa from the constant upper level teams
Oklahoma is loaded with 4 & 5* talent that when they either leave by Graduating or as Stoops did with several failed to renew scholarship because they were not performing as he thought they should
the best way to put this is the more higher rated players you have on the team
the less likely you will miss the one that didn't pan out
do you think MSU IS CRYING about the OL they got to change his commitment from Iowa
i doubt it his career is done
as for Larson, its not because he failed to produce
he did not make it because of multiple injuries that ended his career so that is a very **** poor example to go by
you can't predict injuries and a kid is labeled a failure because he can't compete because injuries

Last edited:
Next year KF will open up the offense.

We'll throw one more pass per game, using basically the same WRs. WRs who couldn't outrun a slime mold without the help of a tailwind.

We have, you see, "a certain absence of quickness" at certain positions, and in response KF seems to recruit more TEs and LBs.

Replacing 3/5 of the Oline with guys that have had no snaps. The two guys remaining are an ex-walkon and an undersized center. Seriously, you are trying to spin this as an upgrade?

Whatever.

I agree with our talent returning, however it was not talent that was the problem this year. Mentioned for the thousandth time- it was consistency on both the O & D.

i didn't say they would be world beaters on offense, i tried to point out how young the offense is
Ferenzt is not that small by Iowa standards i will be willing to bet he plays in the NFL
and i will remind you Bulaga was a 4* Jones was a 4* and they are in the NFL
but with Iowa fans like yourself, you refuse to acknowledge the successful 4* player and only point to the 5* as a failure while ignoring his career was ended by multiple back surgeries and other injuries

I just want to know why it takes our OL so long to gel, or why we can never develop depth when OL is talked about having the best depth on the team (Tobin really struggled and so did Schreff).

With 3 new starters next year dont expect a lot of offense early on because the OL will struggle

Iowa has fine talent......................at LB, TE, and OL.

The skill positions? Not so much. My point was that the recruiting rankings of the linemen don't really tell the story of the offense.

Marquee skill position players are no longer the "Iowa way".

Is Marcus Sedrick Shaw? Is this rather imposing CJF the new Dallas Clark? So far CJF reminds me most of Ferdinand the Bull.

The speed is too dam low!!!

Our offense is gonna have some holes to fill next year no doubt. I would not be surprised to see some young players in there. Ferentz needs to put the best players out there, no more seniority.

Also one thing I want to see next year, is more chances taken. I want us to go after a punt block and try a fake field goal. I also would like to see an open playbook at times.

I feel like our coaches are too predictable and are getting "comfortable." The reason we won some of those games in 2002-2005 was because our coaches took chances on 4th down. We went after a punt, or we tried a fake field goal or punt.

I am not saying its all on the coaches, but they need to step it up a bit. The players also have to get better at performing. We have had too many drops, missed blocks, we have had some "ADD" moments on the field. I feel ferentz will get things turned around and will make a slam dunk hire for the DC position.

The O-line is the key. If MacMillan can come back he will be the left tackle. He has the best feet and athleticism of the players we have seen. If he can't then someone out of the group of Donnal, Scherff, or Van Sloten will have that job. Each of those players has a shot at RT for next season. Tobin, Scherff, Van Sloten, Blythe, Walsh and Boffelli all have a shot at LG and RG. MacMillan's health is a big deal because he is the closest thing to Reiff that was left on the roster.

Really really hope Mac can make it back. But up to 35% of the people with that condition do not return to competitive athletics.

Our offense is gonna have some holes to fill next year no doubt. I would not be surprised to see some young players in there. Ferentz needs to put the best players out there, no more seniority.Also one thing I want to see next year, is more chances taken. I want us to go after a punt block and try a fake field goal. I also would like to see an open playbook at times. I feel like our coaches are too predictable and are getting "comfortable." The reason we won some of those games in 2002-2005 was because our coaches took chances on 4th down. We went after a punt, or we tried a fake field goal or punt.I am not saying its all on the coaches, but they need to step it up a bit. The players also have to get better at performing. We have had too many drops, missed blocks, we have had some "ADD" moments on the field. I feel ferentz will get things turned around and will make a slam dunk hire for the DC position.

Agree with your "comfortable" statement. The thing that baffles me is....why does a coach with a "life time contract" still play it so conservatively? What is stopping him from opening it up and taking chances?

I don't get it.

The largr theme is WHY BL didn't succeed.

Had the physical tools. Had the frame. Had the swag, as the boys say.

But after half a decade in the Iowa football program, what did BL or the program gain from the experiment?

IOW, who farted? Was it BL or other parties?

Bl farted, I remember Doyle saying something to the effect of Larsen having the strength of a 7 year old boy when he got on campus, sure he had size, but he was sloooooooooow and weak, so in that one instance the stars meant nothing.

Agree with your "comfortable" statement. The thing that baffles me is....why does a coach with a "life time contract" still play it so conservatively? What is stopping him from opening it up and taking chances?

I don't get it.

x 1000 .... could not agree more. Lifetime contract and risk averse?

Us fans complain so much about it when he does roll the dice it is usually a cluster... almost like sabotage to say look this is why my percentages work! Most recent example was going for it on fourth and 1 (which was great) but calling and slow developing stretch play to the short side of the field with a 170 lb RB. Not to mention running to the side opposite our future first round draft pick on the o-line.

Latest posts