Looking at Iowa Football Player Representation, Retention Since '09

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past I made the observation a few times on this site in multiple threads that I thought KF felt he got burnt on recruit character in th 2005-2007/08 time frame with D Douglas and some other players. I cant remember all their names maybe Everson was one of them. There were some pretty bad criminal charges filed against some players. I wasnt trying to intimate that KF was being racist in how he thought he got burnt but more about recruit character on an individual basis. I dont know if those incidents lead to a lessening of black players being recruited as we do not have the ratio of non-African American vs African American recruits from 1999 to 2008.

Fair enough. I guess we can all agree this year just sucks and everyone is tired of it. I’m just tired of negativity and it seems like that’s all there is in life anymore. Maybe you should start writing some more positive articles, give some people a break from the bulls*it. It’s getting old. The negativity far outweighs the positives. I know that’s the way of the world right now and the Football program, but let the investigators do their jobs and report back when we know the facts. In the meantime give us something enjoyable to read.

Until this is settled there isn't much else. Like the elephant in the room

It’s interesting that you mention PSU as I was just thinking about that tentative matchup with them and MSU this season. Many here viewed those programs as Ped State, Rape U, and the like. Now what does one say about Iowa? Racism U? It’s a really sad reality that some on here choose not to acknowledge, somewhat akin to a white person saying, “But that’s not racist!!” Yeah? At what point of you being black allowed you to make that full evaluation? Zero insight or care to even try to see an alternative viewpoint. I think it’s time to turnover the reins in Iowa City. As an alum and fan, I’m tired of watching the university being embroiled in some scandal that makes national headlines about every 10 years or so. This shit is getting old and tiresome, mainly because it’s largely preventable if you treat people right. Leadership at key positions at Iowa are holding the university back.

Joe Pa-type cult worship.

I went to PSU in ‘16 and it was a huge eye opener as to how many old, white, rich folks went out of their way to tell me how bad JP got railroaded and how he wasn’t capable of doing what he was accused of. Like, walking around between tailgates people saw my hawk gear and would come up and strike conversation about JP’s innocence, almost like they felt they had to prove some absurd point. I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t gone there in person.

This is the exact same hot garbage being touted here in Iowa. You have the guys like @PawkHawk1 , @WinOneThisCentury , @BlacknGold19 , and tons of others who would believe the sky was green if the Captain told them it was.

It’s interesting that you mention PSU as I was just thinking about that tentative matchup with them and MSU this season. Many here viewed those programs as Ped State, Rape U, and the like. Now what does one say about Iowa? Racism U? It’s a really sad reality that some on here choose not to acknowledge, somewhat akin to a white person saying, “But that’s not racist!!” Yeah? At what point of you being black allowed you to make that full evaluation? Zero insight or care to even try to see an alternative viewpoint. I think it’s time to turnover the reins in Iowa City. As an alum and fan, I’m tired of watching the university being embroiled in some scandal that makes national headlines about every 10 years or so. This shit is getting old and tiresome, mainly because it’s largely preventable if you treat people right. Leadership at key positions at Iowa are holding the university back.

Yes and that leadership includes KF and Barta. Why should it be acceptable that they behave decently now they've been called out. Human decency means you do it right prior to being called out.

I remember a few years ago about recruiting certain areas saying recruits from those areas just don't work out. Talk about a red flag.

You're entitled to your opinion. Question: Do you think this story damages KF's legacy at all? If so, can you quantify how much?
Yes, I think he takes a hit. He already has. But I don't think he is going to go down in flames, like your sentenced implied (to me anyways).

Let me ask you a question. When you consider all things, do you think KF has had a net positive impact or net negative impact on the UofI?

Translation = Don’t write negative things about my favorite football program. Unless I’m bitching about bad coaching decisions. You can report on that.

I watched how fan bases at other universities going through crises handled the news and am not surprised there’s a faction of the Iowa fan base more concerned with defending the program at all costs and dismissing any allegations of wrong doing.

This is what happens. It’s a predictable pattern.
I won't speak for others, but I am not in "defend at all costs" mode. I would just like to see a little more balance. In another post you said that you do not want KF fired. Well why not take this opportunity to write an article reminding people of some of the great things KF has done for Iowa?

When a person of importance (particularly someone who is held in high regard) is on the verge of going down in flames, reporters arrive with gas cans rather than a bucket of water. That is what happens. It is a predictable pattern.

I’m not trying to tell you how to do your job, you can obviously report whatever you want to. But the fact that you are CHOOSING to feed off all this negativity from players (retweeting, tweets, writing articles to support what they are saying) without actually knowing what’s true or not is souring a lot of fans and people who post or read this site towards you. Personally I wouldn’t go that route, but I guess that’s why I’m not a journalist or involved in the media. Do you honestly enjoy what you’re doing? Honest question.

I think the issue is that there isn't much the U of I or coaches can say really. They are in a no win situation, as getting in to a back and forth with former players would be a bad look too. I'm sure some of the coaches would LOVE to give us their thoughts on certain players and what type of players/people they were and their version of the accusations. And I'm sure Rob would report this. But it just isn't going to happen. So pretty much all that leaves to report on is the "negative".

I won't speak for others, but I am not in "defend at all costs" mode. I would just like to see a little more balance. In another post you said that you do not want KF fired. Well why not take this opportunity to write an article reminding people of some of the great things KF has done for Iowa?

When a person of importance (particularly someone who is held in high regard) is on the verge of going down in flames, reporters arrive with gas cans rather than a bucket of water. That is what happens. It is a predictable pattern.

I've written A LOT of positive stories about Iowa Football, KF, Chris Doyle and others in the program throughout the last 21 years. I would say the percentage is heavily weighed towards the positive. Those are all documented for people to read.

Right now, I'm covering this story. Like with Rhabdo, Pierre Pierce, Jane Meyer, these are negative stories. They happen, unfortunately. It's not fun for anyone.

I wrote a column last week on Smith-Marsette and you will find all of our coverage before this story broke dating back to when the pandemic started was positive.

Not to be a dick or anything, but doesn't this whole thread really belong in the thread dedicated to this stuff?

Translation = Don’t write negative things about my favorite football program. Unless I’m bitching about bad coaching decisions. You can report on that.

I watched how fan bases at other universities going through crises handled the news and am not surprised there’s a faction of the Iowa fan base more concerned with defending the program at all costs and dismissing any allegations of wrong doing.

This is what happens. It’s a predictable pattern.

Rob, you forgot to include an important part in this response.

DOOR. ASS.

You can come up with your own, but the point is you need some badass catchphrase like a baseball announcer has for a home run that you can drop when these clowns come by threatening to quit reading your site.

Rob -- I want to thank you for pulling these numbers into one place and publishing them -- when you see the 'body of work', so to speak, the facts speak for themselves. And they ARE numbers and facts -- nothing 'fake news' about it. Also kudos for starting a unique thread here connected to the article, because this is important stuff. The 2 years Iowa took an all-white contingent to BTen Media Days really pissed me off then, and I commented about it on various forums -- and it was crickets...no one deemed it significant and I could not understand why. That was a simple thing the Iowa sports media should have had the balls to ask about at the time. The idea that coaches couldn't find a single Black player to represent the UI when the team typically consists of 46% African-American players was just unbelievable and incredibly tone-deaf. The other question this raises in my mind is who is ultimately responsible? I'm no Barta hater -- altho we all know he's an incompetent administrator -- but I think this all falls at his doorstep, and if I'm the UI president I use this opportunity to let Barta go, bring in a new A.D., who could ultimately help usher in a fresh regime and updated cultural ethic in the UI football building.

Too lazy to do the homework, but isn’t the roster in any given year consist of anywhere between 50-70% Iowa kids? Not making excuses for anything, but aren’t those numbers going to naturally skew white?

One of the inherent disadvantages that Iowa has always had is population demographics. Changes need to be made and hopefully they are made, but I am not sure what the ideal numbers should look like based on how Iowa has to construct their roster.
You can see by looking at Nebraska's #s that these things don't have to be dictated by population demographics. And leadership group membership, BTen Media Day reps, etc really are not impacted by population demographics either when the make-up of your team is consistently 46% African-American.

I went to PSU in ‘16 and it was a huge eye opener as to how many old, white, rich folks went out of their way to tell me how bad JP got railroaded and how he wasn’t capable of doing what he was accused of. Like, walking around between tailgates people saw my hawk gear and would come up and strike conversation about JP’s innocence, almost like they felt they had to prove some absurd point. I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t gone there in person.

This is the exact same hot garbage being touted here in Iowa. You have the guys like @PawkHawk1 , @WinOneThisCentury , @BlacknGold19 , and tons of others who would believe the sky was green if the Captain told them it was.

I'm defending KF from the false equivalency idiots like you and Fryowa. There weren't kids being raped at Iowa. There were racially insensitive individuals in the program and it appears that one of them has been dismissed. The culture wasn't as welcoming to black players as it should have been. That's unacceptable, but to put this on the same playing field as what happened at Penn State is absolutely ridiculous. Children are the most vulnerable in our society and Penn State allowed and covered up horrendous acts against CHILDREN. Everyone of the players who were subjected to racially insensitive remarks...had choices and the ability to change their situation. Those children weren't in control of anything. Stop comparing it...it's completely moronic. If Doyle were raping children and KF was covering up...then bring it on. Neither happened...and nothing is being covered up or sugar coated.

Listen, the graduation rates and the leadership representation numbers aren't good and need to be addressed. It appears there are changes being made there also. KF should be called out for the grad rates of Black players...it's appalling. It needs to improve and they need to make changes to ensure it does.

The accusations I've heard about KF being a ring leader of a racist culture are less than credible and it's coming from Wadley and DJK predominately. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying into Wadley's crap. So you got disciplined. "He made me drink protein shakes until I didn't feel well." Tough shit. Every school would have done the same damn thing when you weigh 165 and can't hang onto the ball. Was it KF's fault you fumbled early in your career too? Seriously...the sour grapes stuff is getting old and it's only hurting a legitimate BLM movement, which I support wholeheartedly.

It's idiots like you guys that keep bringing up Penn State that piss me off. It's just incendiary crap.

You know...you don't have to tear everything down to make it better. I'm not blaming Rob for reporting this stuff, it's good information and valid for the review that's taking place. However, I'm sure Rob also enjoys it because he's not writing stories that have to be repetitive at this point. This is unique and historic. I know our culture is to keep kicking people when they are down...but I honestly believe KF is a good man who cares about his players.

Last edited:
You can see by looking at Nebraska's #s that these things don't have to be dictated by population demographics. And leadership group membership, BTen Media Day reps, etc really are not impacted by population demographics either when the make-up of your team is consistently 46% African-American.

What percentage of Nebraska's roster is from Nebraska on a yearly basis? 10-20%? 30-50? In Iowa's case the roster is at least 40% Iowa kids in most years.

Not trying to justify or rationale anything, obviously changes need to be made I am just saying there is no magic number here.

Maybe this isn’t relevant enough to include in the retention report, but I would be very curious to see data that measures retention rates for all white, black, Asian, students to see what happens after they enroll at Iowa. Then, the data on how many graduate within 5 years. And, what % transfer rather than finishing at Iowa. I think there was an earlier post that made some comparisons but I think zeroing in on Iowa would put some kind of perspective on the data regarding athletes in football.

Also, was there a post on retention data among all scholarship athletes at Iowa?

Before I retired a few years ago there was a push in WI to stress the value of the tech schools for many youngsters after HS. Idea was that Techs were under valued. I recall that roughly half of the students who enrolled as freshmen in a 4 yr college in the UW system did not earn a degree within 6 years.

To be clear, I am not trying to prove anything. Sometimes a broader view, rather than a select segment, can be instructive.

I'm defending KF from the false equivalency idiots like you and Fryowa. There weren't kids being raped at Iowa. There were racially insensitive individuals in the program and it appears that one of them has been dismissed. The culture wasn't as welcoming to black players as it should have been. That's unacceptable, but to put this on the same playing field as what happened at Penn State is absolutely ridiculous. Children are the most vulnerable in our society and Penn State allowed and covered up horrendous acts against CHILDREN. Everyone of the players who were subjected to racially insensitive remarks...had choices and the ability to change their situation. Those children weren't in control of anything. Stop comparing it...it's completely moronic. If Doyle were raping children and KF was covering up...then bring it on. Neither happened...and nothing is being covered up or sugar coated.

Listen, the graduation rates and the leadership representation numbers aren't good and need to be addressed. It appears there are changes being made there also. KF should be called out for the grad rates of Black players...it's appalling. It needs to improve and they need to make changes to ensure it does.

The accusations I've heard about KF being a ring leader of a racist culture are less than credible and it's coming from Wadley and DJK predominately. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying into Wadley's crap. So you got disciplined. "He made me drink protein shakes until I didn't feel well." Tough shit. Every school would have done the same damn thing when you weigh 165 and can't hang onto the ball. Was it KF's fault you fumbled early in your career too? Seriously...the sour grapes stuff is getting old and it's only hurting a legitimate BLM movement, which I support wholeheartedly.

It's idiots like you guys that keep bringing up Penn State that piss me off. It's just incendiary crap.

You know...you don't have to tear everything down to make it better. I'm not blaming Rob for reporting this stuff, it's good information and valid for the review that's taking place. However, I'm sure Rob also enjoys it because he's not writing stories that have to be repetitive at this point. This is unique and historic. I know our culture is to keep kicking people when they are down...but I honestly believe KF is a good man who cares about his players.
shopping

Rob - If you go back to the beginning of your articles, and ask an impartial panel how have you covered this, I think they would say without question, you have treated this story as if you were a investigative journalist with a mission to paint this in the worst way possible.

From crying on your podcast to taking the role of being a social crusader trying to right the wrongs of the oppressed. Here are some recent examples:

1. In your latest story regarding Media Days at Iowa- Your choice of statistics exacerbates data why not also mention who attended last year‘s media day and provide detailed statistics year to year?

2. Regarding your reference to washed out walk-ons (WOW) podcast a conversation of race you took things out of context and implied it was all negative and further painted the FB program in the most negative light possible. I thought the podcast from WOW was a fantastic conversation to listen to. Scott D from The Athletic said it was really really good and encouraged people to listen to it. Why didn’t you?

3. Your story researching the Law firm UI hired to look into the culture of Iowa football - You basically implied that they hired a firm that may be not qualified to handle the job based the firm’s level of diversity. Compare your story to the Hawk Central article which described the firm. In fact, the firm is made up of 700 attorneys in 16 different cities and specialize in this type of law. Furthermore the attorneys assigned have tremendous credentials. Regardless of firm you also made it clear that you do not believe UI football program will be held accountable in the event of confirmed allegations. This presumption is deeply disturbing and at this point in time inaccurate.
The theme of your stories is negativity. I would like to see a balance of facts. I also see signs that change is already taking place.

I support that Doyle is no longer there. Glad to hear from parents that the kids are close and unified. Of course bullying can’t be tolerated. I can’t stand coaches who yell, scream and swear - it makes no sense - that would never help a young man become better. I hope anyone else who behaves in a bullying and demeaning manner is removed as well.

I also believe the two days of open discussions were productive, raw and transformative. One coach stated in all his years of football it was the most powerful meeting he has ever been part of.

But again you only go down the negative road and give way more of your opinion than you should. Compare your articles and comments from other journalists to yours - the difference is night and day. You appear to be trying to use this story to promote yourself as stated a great crusader, maybe to get hired by a real media outlet. In closing I believe things will get better and are getting better as we speak.
Most of the former players clearly believe KF can fix this, will fix this and is the only who can fix this with the support of the players.
How many times have you implied he won’t survive this and shouldn’t survive this. Rob if you believe you have been objective and neutral on this then go work for FOX or CNN but please quit throwing gas on the fire and doing all you can as if your mission is to not report on our football program but to destroy it. Instead I hope you use your influence to not only recognize a problem but to help bring solutions to it.
So many faithful HN readers are just tired and worn out from your negativity and HN went from a fan favorite site to one they are afraid to even look at it.
I’ve followed HN since the beginning and this is my first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts