Looking ahead this year and next

If you're basing your decision solely on money, there is no reason to come back no matter what. Go play in the G league whenever you get the chance if that's what your number 1 priority is. I base a lot of my life decisions on money. But I also base some of them on enjoying life. I'm probably somewhere in the middle and I would still come back if I was Garza (unless I was a lottery pick). I also have a bit of a tendency to be afraid of change tho too so maybe that's a factor. I just think living out your senior year in Garza's position is priceless. I would guess that out of all the people who struggle with the decision, a lot more people look back with regret for not staying the last year than ones who have regret they didn't leave a year earlier.
If I was Garza I would come back also. If the team is healthy next year, could be a great run.

I am not a very good judge of how Garza might play out as an NBA player or where he could be drafted. I hope he does well. He is a tall guy who can also shoot, so one would think he has potential.

If money isn't much of an issue with his family, which it seems not to be, then there is a lot in Iowa City that will perhaps keep him in the fold next year. That is my hope.

I still think the biggest question here is Fran capable of putting a conference championship team out on the floor that ends in a conference championship? Have what you have seen, the body of work, does it give you faith it will get done? Again, if he is going to get this done, I have to think next year has to be the year or I'm not sure where it is coming from.

This is correct. We've heard "next year" for a lot of years. Waiting to fix recruiting, waiting for his kids to get on the roster, now waiting for injuries to heal. If this team can't break the ceiling next year, there's no more waiting for anything else. We officially know what Fran's ceiling is. The only question left is whether it's good enough.

Looked to next year, now just ahead ...

Haven't dissected, but just raw observation of a couple things:
1) Hawks seem to do what they are supposed to do - W when favored, L when not.
- Refreshing to take care of business when you're supposed to, eh, Kirk? ;)

2) They're really good at home; incomplete / inconsistent and below avg on the road.
- Nothing earth-shattering between home / road for any team (especially given the horrific officiating in the BigXIV) but Hawks really seem to be the poster child in how different they are between the two.

Here's how I see 2020 finishing ...

@ minny: +3, lose 77 - 70 Pregame update:
-- Hawks anywhere from +4.5 to + 5.5. That's a lot bigger than I expected and hoping it's some sticker shock over losing CJ and a the recent terrible 3-point defense on the road.

-- KenPom shows Iowa has a +0.21 luck vs Minny at -0.76 (Could luck be a factor, today??)

-- I think you start with C-Mac, JoeW, Luka, Kreiner and Pemsl --> o_O
That's right, go big and stay big to control the boards and attack inside. We don't need JoeT or Evelyn muddying things up with TO's from the get go. That's where Iowa has been crushed quickly on the road - points of TO's. This needs to be a controlled power attack to keep the game managed and maybe - just maybe - Cordell will have something to prove after being a dumbass.

-- Winnable game, even without CJ. Sticking with original 77 - 70 loss but wouldn't be shocked if Hawks find a way.

vs OhSt: - 1-1/2, win 71 - 67

@ Sparty: + 8-1/2, lose 85 - 69

vs PSU: + 4-1/2, lose 76 - 71

vs Pud-U: - 3-1/2, win 77 - 66

@ illannoy: + 4-1/2, lose 83 - 74

BTT: Rubber match vs Michigan on Thurs. Blue is playing some solid, all-around ball, lately, and will be favored by 3 to 4 points. Another 1 and done for Iowa in the BTT, losing 84 - 73.

Slide into the NCAA as a 10 (maybe a 9, let's hope not) seed, where they face one of these (depending on seed)
- USC, Arizona, LSU, Saint Mary's, Xavier, Oklahoma, Houston, possible rematch with Tx Tech or maybe even UNI.

Something tells me Luka - I mean, the Hawks - find a way to win that first round, only to get obliterated by Louisville, Duke, Baylor or Gonzaga (again depending on that 9 or 10 seeding).

All in all ... just making the Dance this year far exceeded expectations and watching Luka Garza, night-in, night-out has been one of my all-time favorite Hawkeye fan experiences.

All in all Still , your last paragraph sums things up , beginning of season very few posters were thinking of actually making the dance , some thinking bubble , others NIT , and the haters were saying 10 wins or less for the season , then Nunge , then Pmac , then Jbo , now Cjf twice , and this has been a markedly better season, Luka has been unbelievable, now looking like we limp thru the rest of the season , besides Lukas improved game , the grit , the fight to the end mentality for this team for the majority of the season , this has been a very fun year watching these kids

Latest posts