Local radio has Tubby Smith going to

wow. i would have picked him to Oregon over Auburn. looks like Ben Jacobsen to Minnesota then. he recruits up there a bunch.

I started a thread (in jest) about Tubby coming to Iowa. I thought it was in jest becasue Tubby seemed to be pretty solid to stay at Minny.

If he really is looking to move from Minnesota can Iowa be a consideration?

I know it is generally Taboo for a coach to switch to a team within the same conference, but Tubby would certainly make a splash and I would think has built up some good recruiting connections in the midwest while being up north.

And as I mentioned in my previous thread, he has no buyout cost with Minny after May 1st, 2010.

I started a thread (in jest) about Tubby coming to Iowa. I thought it was in jest becasue Tubby seemed to be pretty solid to stay at Minny.

I know it is generally Taboo for a coach to switch to a team within the same conference, but Tubby would certainly make a splash and I would think has built up some good recruiting connections in the midwest while being up north.

And as I mentioned in my previous thread, he has no buyout cost with Minny after May 1st, 2010.

Never. Iowa is not in the SEC. We would never steal head coaches from other league teams. I can't think of any Big Ten teams that would.

Tubby moved from Georgia to Kentucky, so he has moved within the same conference before.

Per the station, Tubby really wants another crack at the SEC. It wouldn't surprise me to see him wait until after the Pearl rumors settle down before he jumps ship to Auburn.

Eugene, OR is about as appealing as Iowa City, IA, Minneapolis, MN and Auburn, AL....none of them exactly jump off the page and make you want to say...I really want to live there.

Auburn would be an interesting move for him, the West Division is way down now and he could be the guy to pull off a quick turnaround there.

Interesting. I guess I'm not surprised (if this is true) that Tubby used Minnesota as a stepping stone to get to another job - not that I really view Auburn as the holy grail of basketball jobs.

I guess I would expect something similiar if we end up with a "name coach".. Tubby got Minnesota back on the map though, so it still doesn't make him a bad hire for them, IMO.

So for the sake of argument, if Barbee goes to Minny, and Forbes to Iowa, could it be the beginning of more up-tempo Big 10 hoops again?

Last edited:
Interesting. I guess I'm not surprised (if this is true) that Tubby used Minnesota as a stepping stone to get to another job - not that I really view Auburn as the holy grail of basketball jobs.

I guess I would expect something similiar if we end up with a "name coach".. Tubby got Minnesota back on the map though, so it still doesn't make him a bad hire for them, IMO.

So for the sake of argument, if Barbee goes to Minny, and Forbes to Iowa, could it be the beginning of more up-tempo Big 10 hoops again?

Auburn=SEC=anything goes=back in his comfort zone=perfect fit for Tubby.

Bad news if Minnesota is looking for the same type of coach as Iowa.

Which program is more appealing to coaches right now? And which program is willing to pay more?

Bad news if Minnesota is looking for the same type of coach as Iowa.

Which program is more appealing to coaches right now? And which program is willing to pay more?

Minnesota is definitely in better shape than we are (Duh!), but as far as who is willing and able to pay more.. I'm not sure where Minnesota stands in that regard. All I know is that Barta said money won't be an issue with this hire, so I'm not overly worried about us not being able to pony up the necessary $$$.

Per the station, Tubby really wants another crack at the SEC. It wouldn't surprise me to see him wait until after the Pearl rumors settle down before he jumps ship to Auburn.

Eugene, OR is about as appealing as Iowa City, IA, Minneapolis, MN and Auburn, AL....none of them exactly jump off the page and make you want to say...I really want to live there.

Uuuhhh...

Have you ever been to Eugene, OR?

Who wouldn't want to live there? The weather and scenery are amazing.

Minnesota is definitely in better shape than we are (Duh!), but as far as who is willing and able to pay more.. I'm not sure where Minnesota stands in that regard. All I know is that Barta said money won't be an issue with this hire, so I'm not overly worried about us not being able to pony up the necessary $$$.

Tubby makes a whole lot of money up there...and I would assume that his buyout is pretty ridiculous too. So they'll have the money to spend. Money isn't going to be an issue for any Big Ten school that can convince a top tier coach to come there.