Linn-Mar's DJ Stokes to walk on?

SixerHawk

talked to a few people today who have confirmed that Fran has indeed contacted Darius about the possibility to walk on next year. With Neari transfering out today it would make sense. from what i heard they are planning on meeting tomorrow to discuss this further. If this happens i wonder what that does to our chances of getting kiah for the womens team??

talked to a few people today who have confirmed that Fran has indeed contacted Darius about the possibility to walk on next year. With Neari transfering out today it would make sense. from what i heard they are planning on meeting tomorrow to discuss this further. If this happens i wonder what that does to our chances of getting kiah for the womens team??
More important can he help the men's team.
As far as Kiah goes its seems Iowa is in about the best position they can hope to be at this juncture.

Freaking good move. Keeps the legacies in the fold. It will be awesome to have a Marble and a Stokes on the team.

More important can he help the men's team.
As far as Kiah goes its seems Iowa is in about the best position they can hope to be at this juncture.
Can he help the team? i do not know at this point. having watched him play for roughly the past 6 years i was never overly impressed until this year. he recently shot up from 6' 2" to a legit 6'8" and is still growing. his game right now is more suited for the post, however he is rail thin. i can see him developing over time and adding some muscle to fill out, and hopefully contribute in a few years. His game and and his body type fit the bill perfectly for what fran is trying to do here at Iowa.

Is he graduating this spring?
I think it would be fine. We can use all the guys we can find,and as a legacy he makes sense. Plus,with this recent growth spurt, maybe he can turn into a player over the next few years. Sure would be nice to see Greg at the Iowa games for both the men and women over the next 5 years. Redshirt Darius,so he and his sister are both playing in the same grade level at Iowa....nice thought.

Freaking good move. Keeps the legacies in the fold. It will be awesome to have a Marble and a Stokes on the team.

This. I don't expect the kid to contribute but if he walks-on and wants to be part of the team then I'm all for it. Plus if the kid is 6'8" then he may be able to contribute in 3 or 4 years.

Another good move if you ask me.

last i heard before today was he was planning on attending a community college for two years to develop (kirkwood i believe) and then hope to get an offer. I think he feels this is an ideal situation and would probably jump at it if Fran and him meet tomorrow and all goes well. redshirting would be a great idea for his development and to help put some weight on him.

I watched him play in the State tourney against Clinton. Very unimpressive when I watched him. He was nonexistent. Clintons David Johnson tore him up inside. Jonson is 6ft. 3 inches tall. Maybe he had a bad night.

Another good move. Darius is 6'8", long, athletic, and has a lot of potential. Needs to get stronger but should be able to contribute in a couple years if not this year. Should fit right into McCaffery's system.

I don't care if he doesn't see the court except in blowout mop up duty. In fact, that is how I want it to be with respect to walk-ons.

In just think it is good to have guys on the team with connections to better days.

At the very least be the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year?

Tough standards.

Not really...I don't recall anyone asking EH to score 20 a night and be a "go to" guy, is what I was saying...just make people think twice about coming inside. Shouldn't be "tough" if you're 6'11"-7 ft tall and gangly.

I think its a good idea, there aren't many expectations for walk ons. So if he doesnt pan out no big deal, if he does awesome, and Iowa needs another big even though he is skinny.

This really doesn't add much to the discussion, but I remember getting my picture taken with Stokes and Payne after their freshman year. I had just turned 8 a few months before so obviously there was a big height difference. I also recall following them around the party we were having reminding them to duck their heads when they went through doorways. I was such a helpful child.

On another unrelated note.... Bacon is good.

Bacon doesn't get enough credit...what it does for breakfast pales in comparison to what it does for a home grilled cheeseburger, especially when properly used in conjunction with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, mustard, mayo and ketchup...and a side of onion rings...

Latest posts