Lineup next year?

Do you guys seriously think that Evans is ahead of Lofthouse and Gambrall right now?? He should be a very good wrestler but remember who he wrestled this year. Ethan and Grant have been through the grind of entire season and have proven that they can hang with the big boys in the nation! Evans might make the lineup next year but at this point to say that 1 spot should be his and let the others duke it out is crazy...

+1000

Between this site and Hawkeyereport I'm amazed at the Evans love

I'm excited about the kid, but really, Lofthouse isn't chopped liver

125# mcDonough
133# Ramos
141# Marion
149# ?
157# ?
165# Stjohn
174# Lofthouse
184# Gambrall
197# Byers
HWT Rasing
I don't think it really matters which weight Mcdonough and Ramos wrestle in regards to 125 or 133#. If Marion went up to 149# he would be wrestling six returning all americans. At 141# he would be wrestling Russell and Novachkov. St.John going up to 165# would have Howe and Caldwell along with 4 other all americans. I'll stick with Ethan and Rasing. If Evans can beat Ethan and Telford can beat Rasing it will just make the Hawks even better. Now I know that these opposing wrestlers might stay at their weight or go up.

sorry for the grammar but heres what i think bout our team and where other wrestlers in the nation will be

125:
MCD is the clear favorite at this weight if he can control it which he is verrrry good at doing. MCD was weighing 133 all summer last year. If he can't handle his weight ramos will be in the running but has to go through tough competition which i don't know how he will match up with yet. ramos struggle all tourny on the bottom and im sure brands and co will get it figured out but being at 125 should help a lot with his ability to get out. bedelyon is going to be a stud here next year but the other wrestlers to look out for would be, sanders, patterson, morrison, quiroga, waters, garnett, steiber (stud) and a few others. MCD=national champ, Ramos=top 4 with shot at title

133: Again covering both wrestlers here i think MCD would be in the hunt depending where Oliver goes but we can't forget Moore at this weight who has wrestled sentes and hostrasser very well! coming back at 133 would be long, graff sentes, thorn, futrell and others that were at national tourny this year. Hopefully this summer both these guys figure out where MCD wants to go so ramos can start preparing for either bulking up or looking to cut some weight sooner the better!

141: Marion will be the 141 for a full year hopefully if he can stay out of trouble in the off season! This kid has the potential to be national champ but has to go through russell, novachkov, alton a few other heave hitters. I think this summer is going to be huge for marion and won't have a weight on his shoulders this coming year. All the bs will be behind him so he won't be getting interviews about iowa letting him back etc.

149:
Off season will be the key to ballweg returning to the lineup because Carew is a stud and i see him starting. There are rumors some transfers may be coming in but those are rumors like always. This weight we will struggle at but have a shot at AA. Dake is stud and if he can handle the weight he will be clear favorite but more than likely will be pumping up for his quest for 4 national titles at 4 different weights. other than dake we have molinaro, chamberlain, parks, mason, grajales, sanjaa who will be in the running for AA.

157:
DSJ has to be the favorite here if he keeps his weight but Moore and Kelly could give him fits. If dake moves to 157 he's the favorite and more than likely taylor will be bumping up giving our wrestlers a shot at AA. I think the funky Welch is going to make noise next year with peppeleman, bonin, white, fleming being around.

165:
Tough weight class next year and if DSJ can't handle his weight im a bit worried unless he puts on some muscle in the off season. he won't be able to handle caldwell,howe asper etc with his current structure. Kelly and Moore i don't think will be as high of an AA here as DSJ but would AA so thats always good.

174:
Evans or Lofthouse is who i see here depends on evans weight but both could make some noise all year. amuchastegui impressed me a lot this year and don't think we will have to worry bout ruth here because i thought he was a big 174lber and will prolly move up. other than those two i think evans and lofthouse has a shot at beating and can likely AA high. benefiel and heflin really wasn't impressed with and there are few others he'll have to worry bout but see moving past in good battles

184:
Gambrall ol Granbrall! What a national championship run! This guy has to get his mind right in the off season because i don't think hawk fans can handle his roll coaster run again :) GG needs to put on some muscle here because this weight is gonna be dumb next year! Wright! Hamlin! Honeycutt! Leblanc! Steinhause! Rutt! Loder! i mean it seems like its never ending with heavy hitters. i think this will be the toughest weight class in dI's hands down.

197:
Byers will have to prove himself at iowa but don't think he'll have much problem. kilgore was my sleeper and he ended up winning the title and byers has beat him! if byers wrestles the same if not better under brands and co i don't see him having much trouble other than kilgore and simaz.

285:

Rasing just through me off at the national tournament. i thought he was wrestling the best of his life coming from big tens then just poops it down his leg at nationals. can telford beat rasing?? its gonna come down to who wants it more but i think rasings experience lands him the spot. rey and flores will be back with bradley, trice and others who all have a shot at the title. Rey looks to be leading contender but with HWT's you never know what will happen!

Here's my crack at it. I noticed that assumptions are fine for this thread, so I am going to make a few.

I could easily forsee us starting our lineup with two National Champs if Mcd and Ramos swap weights.
125: Ramos could make a run at a title here. McD could pin his way to the Hodge trophy here.
133: I honestly beleive McD would beat Oliver. McD would stifle his offense, ride him hard, where him out, and break him in the third. If Ramos goes neutral he would've been an AA this year, I think he would next year. But I wouldn't put him beating Oliver.
141: For the heck of it, I'm going to say Montell moves up a weight. That would open the door for Nate Moore/Mark Ballweg/???anyone else who wants to battle for it. We should get an AA out of here too.
149: Montell could move up to 149 and overpower wrestlers. He's got so much horsepower. With Dake potentially moving up, Molinaro has to be one of the top contenders. Molinaro can push a lot of guys around, not Montell. I would take Montell over Molinaro before I'd take Montell over Russell. I could see another champ here. (Am I being a total homer having 3 national champs in our first 4 weights?)
157: I have no idea if St. John wants to move up. If he stays here and Taylor moves up it could be a St. John vs. Dake final. If he moves up Kelly and Moore can battle it out.
165: If St. John stays at 157 I'd like to see EL make it down here. EL had a good first year in the lineup, but lengthy 174 pounders are always going to be an issue. This weight I'd like to see either St. John or EL, and either one will AA.
174: If Ethan goes down then it will be fun to watch Evans. I'd expect a season out of him similar to what EL or St. John gave us this year. Solid, some freshmen moments. If Ethan stays here I have more confidence in him being AA here than Evans, he's been through the grind and more prepared. I can't speak to their top side.
184: Gambrall came on strong at the right time. He'll have some pressure on him next year, probably a strong preseason ranking. I don't see 184 as a loaded weight class, I see it as a winable weight class. Alot of guys return but on any given day GG could win or lose to any of the guys returning, Wright included.
197: Byers. Let's say it falls through, would GG grow into a 197 pounder, or would Evans find himself cutting his teeth wrestling above his weight?
Hvy: Telford/Rasing.

I still wonder about the Moores. They transferred to a different high school. He has to be wondering about transferring in college. I don't see Nate sitting on the bench his entire career, but the only way he'd see the mat is if Montell moved up and he won a wrestleoff at 141, and that wouldn't be easy. If Nate were to transfer would Nick go too, I hope not.

Last edited:
When I watching the Big 10 tourney they said that DSJ said that he is moving up did anyone else hear that ??

I did not hear that, I know they said Taylor would be moving up for sure because of his frame.

I really truely think that DSJ will be back at 157. When he did have problems this year it was not a weight issue in my opinion.

Here's my thoughts.

125: Ramos, I think if Matt would have won he would have stayed here and went after 4.
133: McDonough wins out over a rededicated Moore.
141: Marion over Ballweg and Dweiza. Josh D. is going to be fun to watch someday but being hurt REALLY hurt his progress last year. I honestly don't know if we will see him for 2 or 3 years make the lineup but when he does look out.
149: CAREW is the man! He may not be the flashiest wrestler we have but if he was healthy this year we would have won 4 in a row. That's the big question with him can he stay healthy.... if he can't I think Jake Ballweg will take this spot.
157: Hearing lots of different things might be DSJ might be Moore or Kelly. I am hoping DSJ can hold this spot down for 1 more year but he is awfull lanky. Honestly I don't know for sure but from what he said at the begging of this year and what my gutt says he'll stay at 157 and battle for a National title.
165: Moore beats out Kelly; Since Howe will more than likely take a olympic redshirt and the weight clears out a bit he could make some serious noise.
174: Lofthouse wins a tight battle over Evans. I like Evans as much as the next guy but Ethan has been threw the grind and proven he can hang with anybody. The broblem Ethan has is finishing matches from time to time. He'll get better at it guys look for a similar improvement as uncle Luke here.
184: GG was the guy that I thought Evans would replace next year. But Grant had a GREAT NCAA tournament along with a pretty solid interview to negate any negative thoughts I had about him for now.
197: Byers is a HORSE and if he buys in he will be battling in the finals next year.
hwt: A month ago I would have said Raisng without a doubt but with his NCAA and considering how long to get his confidence to where it was before NCAA's he could easily go backwords and Telford could pass bye him. I hope Raising goes out in style and I think he hangs on to spot by just a hair over Telford.

Honestly I LOVE this team!! Laugh now but possible finalist out of Ramos(at 125), McDounough,Marion,DSJ and Byers. With high AA possibilities at every other weight.

Last edited:
Here's my thoughts.

149: CAREW is the man! He may not be the flashiest wrestler we have but if he was healthy this year we would have won 4 in a row. That's the big question with him can he stay healthy.... if he can't I think Jake Ballweg will take this spot.

WHOA! Slow down here. Carew would have won 4 what in a row?? You know that I'm a big fan of Dylan too but if you are thinking titles you are crazy. I think that if he were healthy he may have reached the podium but he would not have beaten Dake as a freshman.

133: McDonough wins out over a rededicated Moore.

McD won't win out over Moore. Moore will go out and help McD warm up before meets. Moore will be with another guy or two to drill with McD in the room. Moore can tie his shoes. But McD won't have to worry about wrestling off with Moore. To say a rededicated Moore is to say that he hasn't yet dedicated himself to the team after 3 years in the room.

I agree with the last part you wrote, we could definitely have several finalists. Our lineup is going to be great.

WHOA! Slow down here. Carew would have won 4 what in a row?? You know that I'm a big fan of Dylan too but if you are thinking titles you are crazy. I think that if he were healthy he may have reached the podium but he would not have beaten Dake as a freshman.

Even though he meant team titles, Carew would've had to score 22 points at nationals. Let's just say no way in hell was that happening.

Yeh, I meant team title. While 22 pts. is a stretch for Carew I think he would have made it a lot closer and put a little more pressure on the psu guys and I think they would have folded a bit more. Nobody really put a lot of pressure on them at the end and they cruised to a title. Maybe I'm just dreaming but Carew would have made a difference in my opionion. I am sure CR will find something to argue with me about but that's what makes message boards fun right......

exactly he is very slender. need to put on a lot more muscle. so i see him noving up. to be honest i clould see grant and lofthouse moving up. the first thing i noticed when i saw our team this year is that we all looked tall and lean for our weight and need to put on muscle.

Grant and Ethan were both small for their weights. I just can't see them putting on enough in the offseason to make the big jumps to 184 and 197--especially not with Byers coming in at 197.

Latest posts