Lincoln Star Journal says Fred Hoiberg has been hired

Everything will be tougher, it is Nebraska. I'll be very curious to see what he can pull in this year. I feel like NU has a lot of scholarships to offer, and there are some very good immediate eligible players available. We'll see.

Who was the handler? He was recruited by Cornell Mann at ISU, who is still coaching at Mizzou.

I think Mann was the ass't coach. The handler was Christian Dawkins. He's recently received a 6 month prison for conspiracy to commit wire fraud and funneling illegal payments to recruits. The sentence is lighter because he agreed to a wire tap in his conversation with LSU head coach Will Wade (who was suspended and didn't coach in the NCAA tournament). Dawkins's official title is "recruiter for NBA agent", however, because the word "agent" can't be used by HS/college players, he's known as a handler. He got money from Adidas for securing players and from players when they sign pro and shoe contracts, and of course, from coaches/boosters and also funneled money to players and their families from the coaches.

Fran is one of the lower paid tier of B1G coaches. However it is comparable to the results. He’s a lower tier coach. No flash or name brand and average results.

The question for every head coach at Iowa is: who was going to give them a better offer before their ridiculous contract enhancement?

Answer: nobody.

The market rate for any coach is whatever they can bamboozle the AD out of. It's not just an Iowa problem. Oh, and for those who say, "I don't care about their salary" . . . yeah, that's only believable if you follow it up with, "I don't care how much concession or ticket prices are" . . . and nobody believes you don't care about those things.
I speak for every fan alive when I say: We are sick of 40 minutes of basketball crammed into 3 hours of commercials and 60 minutes of football crammed into 4 hours of commercials. The NCAA/University/Coaching greed has been out of control for over 20 years and I'm working on a way to stop it. But I only have 12 years to get it done as that is when all life on earth comes to an end.:(

The question for every head coach at Iowa is: who was going to give them a better offer before their ridiculous contract enhancement?

Answer: nobody.

The market rate for any coach is whatever they can bamboozle the AD out of. It's not just an Iowa problem. Oh, and for those who say, "I don't care about their salary" . . . yeah, that's only believable if you follow it up with, "I don't care how much concession or ticket prices are" . . . and nobody believes you don't care about those things.
I speak for every fan alive when I say: We are sick of 40 minutes of basketball crammed into 3 hours of commercials and 60 minutes of football crammed into 4 hours of commercials. The NCAA/University/Coaching greed has been out of control for over 20 years and I'm working on a way to stop it. But I only have 12 years to get it done as that is when all life on earth comes to an end.:(

Well nobody has solved Greed, corruption or cronyism for 4000 years of recorded history. Good luck fixing it before the earth gets too hot and passes out.

I give it three seasons and Nebraska passes Iowa in relevance.

He'll be gone in 4 years. Father Fred is just getting his taste of nostalgia before he bolts for the NBA again. So if what you say is true then it will be temporary. Nebraska basketball isn't even relevant on it's own campus.

Morris had a meal with him one time long after he went to ISU. He wasn't involved in his recruitment at all. He was being recruited to his agency I'd be almost sure. But that IMO is a nothingburger, nothing came of it, and your characterization of it is wrong.

Blinders much? Floyd, Eustachy & Morgan all bent some recruiting rules to get kids to ISU. It's not even a debatable topic. Not mad at cha for it. There is a way to cheat and still be respectable. ISU had a couple coaches that pulled it off well. I wish Iowa had one.

Morris had a meal with him one time long after he went to ISU. He wasn't involved in his recruitment at all. He was being recruited to his agency I'd be almost sure. But that IMO is a nothingburger, nothing came of it, and your characterization of it is wrong.
Your story is Monte's story. My story is the FBI's story. One of the stories has a bias, the other does not.

Morris had a meal with him one time long after he went to ISU. He wasn't involved in his recruitment at all. He was being recruited to his agency I'd be almost sure.

He used ASM Sports, which is the one Dawkins worked for. All would be fine, but Morris was listed on ASM's expense reports, which included meals, apparel, and cash advances, were filed by Dawkins. That's what was in the FBI's report...or we could believe Monte's story.

If Hoiberg makes a Sweet 16 before Fran does having a 10 year head start, does that give Gary a fucking clue this ain’t working? Chris Beard, Bruce Pearl, and Fred Hoiberg all at schools that have far less success and history than Iowa yet 2 of these coaches have had much more success and in Final Four from complete rebuilds. Might I remind you in less than 5 years as well (Fran has had a decade). Fred did well in Ames. It isn’t the “we’re Iowa” excuse. There are just much better coaches and recruiters than Fran out there. Iowa AD just likes to settle. Hoiberg is going to really make things difficult for Fran, results and perception.

Last edited:
If Hoiberg makes a Sweet 16 before Fran does having a 10 year head start, does that give Gary a fucking clue this ain’t working? Chris Beard, Bruce Pearl, and Fred Hoiberg all at schools that have far less success and history than Iowa yet 2 of these coaches have had much more success and in Final Four from complete rebuilds. Might I remind you in less than 5 years as well (Fran has had a decade). Fred did well in Ames. It isn’t the “we’re Iowa” excuse. There are just much better coaches and recruiters than Fran out there. Iowa AD just likes to settle. Hoiberg is going to really make things difficult for Fran, results and perception.

Every school is settling to some extent except the one with a best coach.

On another board it stated that Fran and the Minnesota coach were interviewed for the Arkansas job.

April fools was yesterday.
Reportedly Steve Alford is in the mix as well. It probably won't happen, but supposedly Arkansas met with Fran and the Minnesota coach. I think the next Arkansas coach will probably be Eric Mussleman.

Last edited:
Reportedly Steve Alford is in the mix as well. It probably won't happen, but supposedly Arkansas met with Fran and the Minnesota coach. I think the next Arkansas coach will probably be Eric Mussleman.
UCLA could be hot on Musselman's heels too. If they don't try to snag Chris Beard first.

April fools was yesterday.
That's not a joke. I was told three weeks ago that he was in play for another job, but the source wouldn't say which school.

If he were to hypothetically go down there and have recruiting access to the type of athletes and point guards needed to compete in that conference, that could tell you where the true problems lie.

Fred, Izzo, Belien, Painter, Turgeon, and a couple of others. No wonder Fran is looking at the Arkansas gig.

There you just have Calipari, Pearl, and maybe Barnes to deal with.