Life after Ferentz

BergHawk7

We all know KF will retire as a Hawkeye. When that happens, who would you like to see, and who do you think the UofI will pursue as his successor?

I would want Bret Bielema, and I think Iowa would Go after him strongly. The Tattoo explains it all.

As of now, if you factor in Kirk may be here another 5-10 years if he stays the whole time, Biels would be a good candidate because he will still be in his early 50's. Most of the hot guys out there right now are going to be in their 60's when Kirk leaves.

Bielema? Will never happen. Other than some reference to the 1900s, has there ever been a head coach from one Big 10 school go to another Big 10 school? I can't think of one.

Mike Stoops? That could happen. If he doesn't explode first.

You're probably talking about something that is so far from happening that I really don't see the point in discussing it.

Bielema? Will never happen. Other than some reference to the 1900s, has there ever been a head coach from one Big 10 school go to another Big 10 school? I can't think of one.

Mike Stoops? That could happen. If he doesn't explode first.

I do not want Mike Stoops as our HC. At all.

I've held a theory for awhile that Kirk stays on another 5-8 years and then assuming Brian Ferentz is seasoned enough by then, he would take over... Brian is 28 now and would be 33-36 years old in that time frame.. We know he shares his dad's love of Tight Ends.

I prefer low key coaches. This absolutely eliminates Mike Stoops and Bielema. Hopefully the program will be strong enough to be able to get an experienced coach who has shown the ability to win. If not, it will likely be another left field hire, a la Fran and Ferentz.

Edit: Also would not like to be a stepping stone, this may be difficult depending on the scenario.

I would have a Stoops pretty high on my list, and his name isn't Bob or Mike.

After that, I can't realistically name any candidates. Many guys that I would suggest right now will be too old by the time we start searching, and there will be all kinds of new up and comers in 10 years that we haven't really heard of yet.

So right now, I'd say Mark Stoops would be my #1 choice.

I've held a theory for awhile that Kirk stays on another 5-8 years and then assuming Brian Ferentz is seasoned enough by then, he would take over... Brian is 28 now and would be 33-36 years old in that time frame.. We know he shares his dad's love of Tight Ends.

who doesn't love a nice tight end?

My personal opinion is that KF coaches at Iowa until he is tops for all time wins and has coached for 21 years.

I know he comes across as being totally devoid of ego, but if you don't think that he would like to be as revered if not more than Hayden Fry when he retires, well then...

If there were message boards in the 1980's, PSU fans would have been writing about Life After Paterno ;)

thats probably true jon, I think He's past that moment of his career where he can leave for another school, cuz he is getting older. but do you think Ferentz would stay another 15-20 years at Iowa if he had the Choice?

Definitely don't want Bielema or Mike Stoops. Without knowing how much long Ferentz will be here this is almost an impossible question to answer. Maybe we can get a coordinator to groom to be his successor. Possibly our next DC. I'm sure Norm will retire before Ferentz so maybe we'll go down that road.

I would have a Stoops pretty high on my list, and his name isn't Bob or Mike.

After that, I can't realistically name any candidates. Many guys that I would suggest right now will be too old by the time we start searching, and there will be all kinds of new up and comers in 10 years that we haven't really heard of yet.

So right now, I'd say Mark Stoops would be my #1 choice.

My thoughts are also along this line. He will need to have HC experience by then though. Don't think they will consider someone who hasn't had it. If Ferentz leaves within 5 years though, Bob will be the #1 candidate and I believe he would strongly consider it.

My personal opinion is that KF coaches at Iowa until he is tops for all time wins and has coached for 21 years.

I know he comes across as being totally devoid of ego, but if you don't think that he would like to be as revered if not more than Hayden Fry when he retires, well then...

All time wins or all time wins at Iowa? All time wins at Iowa he could get there in 2017 averaging 8.6 wins a season. If he is hitting that and he goes to 21, he may stay to try and hit the 200 win club, it would just be 3 years at the same average (unless I'm incorrect where 21 years is, which I think I am).

Chances are, imo, our next HC isn't currently an HC, more likely an OC or a DC, but even more likely a position coach right now if KF stays until 2020.

Latest posts