Lickliter 24 minutes played, Payne 28 minutes played

It FUMES me! About 20 minutes too many for John Lickliter. Really bad coaching.... Maybe Lickliter can drive Cully Payne out too. He seems to love to get rid of point guards... Maybe it is a conspiracy to move Johnny into the starting spot!

Their minutes were not mutually exclusive....they were in the game at the same time for more minutes than I remember in the past.....not sure why

hornets-nest.jpg

Bad move. Payne needs these games to learn from. Especially for a point guard. Lickliter is not the future. I have no problem that lil Lick gives Payne a rest once in awhile, but today was downright just a bad move by the coach.

Not sure what Coach Lick was thinking today.

I guess one would wonder how a walk-on gets nearly as minutes as your starting PG, and how you don't have a guard who gets 30 minutes in the game when you have zero depth at the position.

Side note: Cougill, 22 minutes, 1 shot attempt, and 1 rebound. Talk about empty minutes today....

Last edited:
What does that have to do with Lickliter and Payne getting nearly the same amout of time? Neither of them would have been in the game for Cole, at any time.

It doesn't matter that they don't play the same position. There are only so many minutes to go around. The lineups today took Cole out and put Lickliter in, regardless of whether or not they play the same spot... Get it?

I think you're making this a much bigger deal than it is. It's one game and yes we all know Payne is the future and that Lil Lick isn't a big ten talent but when he was in the game tonight he wasn't turning the ball over. I think coach was just trying to make the point that he wants the point guard to take care of the ball and have the offense work to get good looks. I think coach was also very upset with the deep 3 that Cully took early in the shot clock. Coach made his point and Payne and Cole will have their minutes back next game.

No chance in this game after they made their 2nd half spurt to push the lead back up. Cully is going to need his energy in a tough b-10 conf. sched. Why waste his energy in a blow-out?

I think you're making this a much bigger deal than it is. It's one game and yes we all know Payne is the future and that Lil Lick isn't a big ten talent but when he was in the game tonight he wasn't turning the ball over. I think coach was just trying to make the point that he wants the point guard to take care of the ball and have the offense work to get good looks. I think coach was also very upset with the deep 3 that Cully took early in the shot clock. Coach made his point and Payne and Cole will have their minutes back next game.

Well said.

It doesn't matter that they don't play the same position. There are only so many minutes to go around. The lineups today took Cole out and put Lickliter in, regardless of whether or not they play the same spot... Get it?

Do you really think that Lickliter would sub his own kid into the game for Cole, regardless of how effective Cole had been?

Aren't you the same guy who thinks Duke is a football school?

John Lickliter took some ill advised shots too, but remained in the game. I don't think he needs to cater to Cully, but obviously, based on his track record he may need to do something different with his point guards, because they don't stay too happy.

John Lickliter took some ill advised shots too, but remained in the game. I don't think he needs to cater to Cully, but obviously, based on his track record he may need to do something different with his point guards, because they don't stay too happy.

You heard it here first: HaydensHawk predicts a Payne transfer at the end of the season. Book it.

Payne had 3 Turnovers and Lick had 1.. Your make it sound like Payne was turning it over everytime he touched it.

A couple of the shots that John took were late in the shot clock, he had to throw up a prayer. He was forced into those shots. I don't think those shots are a good comparison to Cully's 3 point shot without one pass after they got across midcourt.

No chance in this game after they made their 2nd half spurt to push the lead back up. Cully is going to need his energy in a tough b-10 conf. sched. Why waste his energy in a blow-out?

Save energy up for the post season tournaments. Not like our true frosh. point guard needs as much playing time as he can get, gassed or not.

Save energy up for the post season tournaments. Not like our true frosh. point guard needs as much playing time as he can get, gassed or not.

Is there going to be some shortage of playing time for him the rest of the year?

Is this really what people are going to complain about coming out of this game? Really?

Do you really think that Lickliter would sub his own kid into the game for Cole, regardless of how effective Cole had been?

Aren't you the same guy who thinks Duke is a football school?

Not what I am saying. When lick and Payne play together, that moves Gatens to the 3, May or fuller to the 4 and Cougill to the 5. Basically, you end up bumping a 5 for another 1.

Latest posts