Lick was Bad Hire

DogIndy

First time on the site.
Life long hawk fan just moving to Indy.
Spoke to many people on T.L.'s background and found T. L. was not even a successful coach in High School at Danville Indiana, He won with kids left for him at Butler.
Speaks to being in the right place at the right time.
Don't fell bad ,would love to get fired and get 2.4 million to leave, as most of us would.
All these ego laden coaches want is one big contract and life is made.
Wondering how much of that 2.4 million he share's with the assistants he brought how were not prepared for the big time.
Spend the $$ get someone to stay.

Many times the assistants will still get paid until they find another job, not sure if that's the situation now or not. Does anyone else know?

Many times the assistants will still get paid until they find another job, not sure if that's the situation now or not. Does anyone else know?

I thought I heard somewhere they are paid until June.
Somebody can correct me if I am wrong.

I believe their contract expires the end of June, as they are a state employee. Once the contact is done is June, they're out of luck.

First time on the site.
Spoke to many people on T.L.'s background and found T. L. was not even a successful coach in High School at Danville Indiana, He won with kids left for him at Butler.
Don't fell bad ,would love to get fired and get 2.4 million to leave, as most of us would.
Wondering how much of that 2.4 million he share's with the assistants he brought how were not prepared for the big time.

OK, I know that the Lickliter era in Iowa City didn't work. I get that. But he didn't just win "with kids left for him at Butler". He made the Sweet 16 in his SIXTH year as Butler's head coach...which means that every player on his roster that season was recruited while Lick was in charge.

Let's not rewrite history just because he wasn't successful here. Plus...it's time to move on and quit dwelling upon the past. Lick is in the past, and we need to think about brighter days ahead.

He may have had a bad 3 seasons here but lets wish him the best with his health and as he moves on with his life

I thought that Lick did a great job his first year here at Iowa. Was looking forward to him turning the program around and thought he'd be great here. Player development was noticable and that was my biggest complaint with Alford is he could get talent but never saw improvement. Lick seemed to do that in year one.

When Tony Freeman left and that the talk of players not knowing their roles and comments made about Lick not talking to the players sorta chalked it up to not liking the system and that things would be better once Lick got his own players on the team. The system failed. Roster two thin for this type of system and the players just didn't seem to be having fun.

This is #1 for the coach is make the game fun. The players will play better and that energy should lead to more fans showing up. I felt bad for the players this past year as they were asked to do a lot and one of those things they weren't asked to do was have fun and it showed.

First time on the site.

You should be a psycic......
Steve Alford is a butthead.

In this situation 2 wrongs did not make a right... just the worst 3 year run in the history of our program.

Iowa failed to ....
- provide adequate resources (ie,,, practice facility)
- make men's B-Ball the next highest priority after football
- get buy in from the fan-base

Lick failed to ....
- Connect with players
- Recruit to the level of the Big Ten
...... Hire a competent recruiter on staff
...... Develop contacts with the AAU programs
...... Identify the type of player needed in the Big Ten
- Value big men and the inside game in the Big Ten
...... Too much standing out on the perimeter launching 3's
...... Too few easy buckets
...... Lack of rebounding
...... Not enough foul line opportunities

I wish him the best but don't want to hear a litany of excuses after the fact. If he earns another BCS level opportunity again he will undoubtedly be much more prepared for the rigors involved.

I do not think they were leftover players,but the two stars were AJ Graves, the brother of one of the coaches,and Mike Green, a transfer from Towson St.
I guess what I am saying is that I do not think that the good teams lick developed were not really made up of highly sought after recruits. Me? I want a coach who can get top 100 recruits,then make them better.

I do not think they were leftover players,but the two stars were AJ Graves, the brother of one of the coaches,and Mike Green, a transfer from Towson St.
I guess what I am saying is that I do not think that the good teams lick developed were not really made up of highly sought after recruits. Me? I want a coach who can get top 100 recruits,then make them better.

And I want a girlfriend that looks like Bruce Pearls girlfriend.

Funny, KF's 'diamond in the rough' players are a good thing......

I think Lickliter could have gotten the job done, too bad about the defections, the injuries (last season, can't think of the guy who got injured- bad timing)

also, to the person who commented about big men on the perimeter - worked OK for Tom Davis. Anyone remember what Jep and Lo did in that system?

On the 'other board' people talk about how Lickliter wasn't given the chance to see even one of his classes graduate. The problem was that the players continued to transfer before they graduated and that is what people refuse to acknowledge. This year, again, players were going to transfer or threatening to transfer and whose fault was it--the players, for threatening to transfer.

Of course when outsiders look at it they see a great coach not being given a chance but it given ALL the information they would see a coach who simply was not getting the job done, players transferring, a coach lacking communication skills--why? who knows?

Are there problems with the facility and the administration, yes, but the facility is being built. THAT does not excuse Lickliter from maintaining players, running an offense, communicating with players, commumicating WITH FANS, generating excitement, putting a product on the floor, and so on, and KEEPING PLAYERS.

People said that everything was A-OK, the players in place were all happy...NOW he had his players and he could move forward, that ALL of Alford's players were gone and the UNHAPPY players were off the bus and everything was in place. He finally was going to have his upperclassmen and EVERYONE had bought into HIS philosophy.

Well, guess what, THIS is what outsiders don't know...the upperclassmen apparently WEREN'T happy with Lickliter for whatever reason(s) and wanted to transfer, thus Lickliter was going to have to begin ALL over again in his 4th year.

WHAT WAS THAT GOING TO DO TO THE PROGRAM? People outside the program can make whatever remarks they want but of course they don't have ALL the information nor do they want all the information. They don't care if Iowa remains mired in last place of the Big 10 and remains irrelevant; they could care less. Iowa is an afterthought to Jay Bilas and Vitale and others. They may know bb and they may even know Lickliter but they have no idea what was going on at Iowa--they JUST KNOW it could not have been Lickliter's fault, it HAD to be something else because he is a great guy and was successful at Butler, same with Alford.

Yes, Iowa needs to change some things--starting with Lickliter.

Man Lands on the Moon!

dumb-and-dumber-man-walks-on-moon.png

Lick has a relatively thin resume for a guy his age. He really didn't break into the college coaching ranks as an assistant until he was 42. Then as a head coach he had great success for 2 years at Butler with Thad Matta's players, followed with 3 mediocre years, then somehow caught lightning in a bottle again in 06-07 and hit the lottery with Gary Barta.
Head coaching record

Butler (Horizon League) (2001–2007)
2001–2002 Butler 26–6 12–4 1st NIT 2nd Round
2002–2003 Butler 27–6 14–2 1st NCAA Sweet 16
2003–2004 Butler 16–14 8–8 6th
2004–2005 Butler 13–15 7–9 7th
2005–2006 Butler 20–13 11–5 2nd NIT 2nd Round
2006–2007 Butler 29–7 13–3 T-1st NCAA Sweet 16

Latest posts