Lick- Use the Clipboard

TalkHawk

Why was nothing done to counteract Minnesota's pressure early in the game?

Why was Cully left trying to break that relentless ALL by himself for the first 7 or 8 minutes while they went on a 21-4 run or 17-4 run or whatever it was?

Look- just save the your not a basketball coach, Lick knows what he is doing banter.

I am not a basketball coach. I am asking a relevant question.

That was about as overmatched, underprepared, and not reacting to what was going on as it gets.

I get MN's guards are far more athletic- but design a play or draw something up to get the ball across half court.

That was stressful to watch. Cully had a lot of emotional control in that situation, I was more mpressed with that than anything.

I'm not one to criticize the players, but I think it took most of them the entire first half to wake up and realize they were in a game. I suppose the lack of execution could be blamed on Lickliter, and probably will be, but I hadn't seen the kind of body language Lickliter displayed since the Tony Freeman days. This team is capable of much better than what we saw against Minnesota.

I'm not one to criticize the players, but I think it took most of them the entire first half to wake up and realize they were in a game. I suppose the lack of execution could be blamed on Lickliter, and probably will be, but I hadn't seen the kind of body language Lickliter displayed since the Tony Freeman days. This team is capable of much better than what we saw against Minnesota.
Good points.

There were times when they would turn it over (take your pick) and they would just give up on the play. Then they would get frenzied anytime the double teams came when they had someone wide open.

Poise was not on display yesterday.

Lick should also draw up some plays to score some points while he's at it...the point being, no matter what he draws up for any situation the other team's players are so much better that almost no amount of execution by our mid-tier MVC level talent players (except Gatens) can overcome the disparity...

Although I agree mostly with what you said, I think May can overcome the disparity of talent as well. Also, I think if the guards were able to get him the ball in good situations, Cole can make some plays. He needs to work on catching the ball in traffic and on the move. I think Fuller has some of the talent needed, but needs to work on consistency. I think for the most part, the lack of poise against pressure was evident yesterday. Let's see if that can be improved.

Lick should also draw up some plays to score some points while he's at it...the point being, no matter what he draws up for any situation the other team's players are so much better that almost no amount of execution by our mid-tier MVC level talent players (except Gatens) can overcome the disparity...

One thing, though, plays out of timeouts, Iowa does very well. Just something to think about I guess.

The main question I have is how can the guy coach when he's huddled on the bench with his hands over his eyes.

seems like iowa is never ready to handle the press - its very frustrating. MN coming out with all out m2m pressure wasnt exactly a shock. All Lick had to do was watch Stormin's vlog if he didnt watch any MN game film :)

The players mentioned that they hadnt been prepared for the press, so, as Spank asked, why were they not prepared? Plus, I didnt like the comment from Lick after the game, where he said there was nothing they could do, ....nothing?

I would like to know whey Lickliter continues to use the stupid hand off, when all it invites is double teams, especially when its helps the D out when its near the sideline( and sometimes deep enough to be by the half court line ) and gives the double team more effect. In a game like yesterday, where the press picked up at half court, it was a bounty to the Gophers.

Maybe he did create some plays. Maybe he's just a bad coach and they didn't work.

If "...there is nothing we could do..." then what does everybody think will be different next year? We still won't have any more ball handlers although lil' Lick will be a year older.

We still don't/can't play defense worth a crap so is that part of Lickliter's in your face man to man?

But at least Lick' is happy to be coaching these guys because they are learning his "system" whatever THAT might be. I don't think the players know the "system" is at this point? Halfway through the season and this team still can't play Lickliter's system except against Division I bottom feeders similar to Iowa. No wonder Lickliter wants to dumb down the schedule...if you can only beat bottom feeders, it's probably best to only play bottom feeders. Then when they win a few more games he can tell all of us how the team is starting to jell and is learning his "system." Unfortunately for Lickliter, he still has to play the Big 10 schedule where "the other coaches kick his teeth in" as the media like to say. Maybe he can figure out a way to get Iowa out of playing the Big 10 schedule because it is too tough?

If "...there is nothing we could do..." then what does everybody think will be different next year? We still won't have any more ball handlers although lil' Lick will be a year older.

We still don't/can't play defense worth a crap so is that part of Lickliter's in your face man to man?

But at least Lick' is happy to be coaching these guys because they are learning his "system" whatever THAT might be. I don't think the players know the "system" is at this point? Halfway through the season and this team still can't play Lickliter's system except against Division I bottom feeders similar to Iowa. No wonder Lickliter wants to dumb down the schedule...if you can only beat bottom feeders, it's probably best to only play bottom feeders. Then when they win a few more games he can tell all of us how the team is starting to jell and is learning his "system." Unfortunately for Lickliter, he still has to play the Big 10 schedule where "the other coaches kick his teeth in" as the media like to say. Maybe he can figure out a way to get Iowa out of playing the Big 10 schedule because it is too tough?

It won't be different next year. Iowa won't be good for a while. Even if we fire Lickliter will hire a new guy and it will take awhile for him to be good. And that's if he's a good coach. Our basketball program is in horrible, horrible shape.

After a score, instead of throwing directly in to Payne, they need to throw it to another person, first, then to Payne as he runs by, thereby, providing some assistance in getting it down floor. But no, they always let the guard fend for himself in bringing it upcourt.

One thing, though, plays out of timeouts, Iowa does very well. Just something to think about I guess.

They do? If there is one area where I think Lickliter is very weak, it's drawing up anything out of a timeout, especially if they have to go the length of the floor.

That probably has a lot to do with the lack of experience on the team, and will hopefully get better as these guys gain more experience. And since this thread is somewhat about Iowa's inability to break a press, it would be nice to see somebody - and I don't care who - just lay someone out when Payne is trying to get the ball up the floor. Some of the picks - if that's the right term - that Iowa tries to set to free up Payne are embarassing. If you're going to set a pick, set a ******* pick. Knock someone down.

Last edited:
We haven't been able to break a press, set one of our own or effectively handle a physical man-to-man defense such as Minnie plays since Butler Ball arrived here three years ago.

They do? If there is one area where I think Lickliter is very weak, it's drawing up anything out of a timeout, especially if they have to go the length of the floor.

That probably has a lot to do with the lack of experience on the team, and will hopefully get better as these guys gain more experience. And since this thread is somewhat about Iowa's inability to break a press, it would be nice to see somebody - and I don't care who - just lay someone out when Payne is trying to get the ball up the floor. Some of the picks - if that's the right term - that Iowa tries to set to free up Payne are embarassing. If you're going to set a pick, set a ******* pick. Knock someone down.

Under their own basketball, the staff does a good job of drawing up plays to score. I wish Iowa had 30 timeouts per half.

Latest posts