Liam Robbins transferring from Drake

As I was reading thru this thread I was was thinking, why isn't anyone considering Josh O in all of this? Now the battle will be between Josh and Liam for two years, Nunge one year but he's more of a forward anyway.

As I was reading thru this thread I was was thinking, why isn't anyone considering Josh O in all of this? Now the battle will be between Josh and Liam for two years, Nunge one year but he's more of a forward anyway.
This kid seemed like a pretty sure thing considering the numbers he put up and his size. A lot of folks saying he’s an NBA guy. No clue what to expect with Ogundele.

I’d take the “sure” thing. Plus from the sounds of it Ogundele is going to have to really work on his conditioning levels but he may never be a high minute type guy.

We are going to absolutely need to get a big in the 2021 class. I mentioned it in another thread but if Ogundele doesn’t pan out we would be in trouble on the frontline.

(Also note that Nunge might get a medical hardship this year giving him an additional year. Haven’t heard much on that front but if he did apply he’d likely get one).

Last edited:
This kid seemed like a pretty sure thing considering the numbers he put up and his size. A lot of folks saying he’s an NBA guy. No clue what to expect with Ogundele.

I’d take the “sure” thing. Plus from the sounds of it Ogundele is going to have to really work on his conditioning levels but he may never be a high minute type guy.

We are going to absolutely need to get a big in the 2021 class. I mentioned it in another thread but if Ogundele doesn’t pan out we would be in trouble on the frontline.

(Also note that Nunge might get a medical hardship this year giving him an additional year. Haven’t heard much on that front but if he did apply he’d likely get one).

Nunge wouldnt be eligible for a medical hardship because he already used his redshirt. Those extra redshirt years for an injury are no longer allowed.

Nunge wouldnt be eligible for a medical hardship because he already used his redshirt. Those extra redshirt years for an injury are no longer allowed.
Link? Not that I don’t believe you I just haven’t seen anything on that. Quite frankly there is very little clarity of that stuff that exists out there.

You're kinda describing Garza before he'd made a basket for us too with that. Granted the unknown is just that at this point with him. From what I've heard he's a gym rat workaholic who's recruiting began to skyrocket after he'd been over here and seen more. I think if our expectations for him aren't to be a stud day 1/yr 1 and realize it may be yr 2 or 3 before he develops into a stud he should be a good big guy to have. If Garza comes back and Nunge is healthy our front court is solid. We played a lot of small ball with CM in the front court. With JBo coming back I only expect more of that not less. So the pressure for Ogundele to contribute much right away won't be very high. He'll essentially be taking Pemsls mins. Now if Garza doesn't return you can rip everything up I just said...

You're kinda describing Garza before he'd made a basket for us too with that. Granted the unknown is just that at this point with him. From what I've heard he's a gym rat workaholic who's recruiting began to skyrocket after he'd been over here and seen more. I think if our expectations for him aren't to be a stud day 1/yr 1 and realize it may be yr 2 or 3 before he develops into a stud he should be a good big guy to have. If Garza comes back and Nunge is healthy our front court is solid. We played a lot of small ball with CM in the front court. With JBo coming back I only expect more of that not less. So the pressure for Ogundele to contribute much right away won't be very high. He'll essentially be taking Pemsls mins. Now if Garza doesn't return you can rip everything up I just said...
I agree we don’t need much from Josh O next year. But the following year if he hasn’t panned out we’d been light in the front court.

I’m not nearly as high on him as I would of been of even Garza when he committed. Keep in mind Garza was a 4* with offers from Notre Dame, Louisville, and Indiana. Garza finished as the 10th best center nationally per 247.

Josh O is a low level 3*. He is rated as the 59th best center nationally on the 247 composite. His best offers outside of Iowa were Rutgers and Cincinnati.

I may be lower on Josh O than most, and that’s fine, but he’s not rated or garnered near the interest as Garza. Every recruit ever gets called a hard worker by their HS coach. Only some actually are, and virtually none work as hard as Garza does.

Was that boy knocked in the head one too many times at Drake? I get the move to Drake, no one wanted him, so he re-made himself into a basketball player, but now, to Minnesota? Uncle or no uncle, Minnesota?

Was that boy knocked in the head one too many times at Drake? I get the move to Drake, no one wanted him, so he re-made himself into a basketball player, but now, to Minnesota? Uncle or no uncle, Minnesota?

Hard to get out of the habit.

I agree we don’t need much from Josh O next year. But the following year if he hasn’t panned out we’d been light in the front court.

I’m not nearly as high on him as I would of been of even Garza when he committed. Keep in mind Garza was a 4* with offers from Notre Dame, Louisville, and Indiana. Garza finished as the 10th best center nationally per 247.

Josh O is a low level 3*. He is rated as the 59th best center nationally on the 247 composite. His best offers outside of Iowa were Rutgers and Cincinnati.

I may be lower on Josh O than most, and that’s fine, but he’s not rated or garnered near the interest as Garza. Every recruit ever gets called a hard worker by their HS coach. Only some actually are, and virtually none work as hard as Garza does.

Yeah and it's tough projecting big guys. I have nothing to base it on then a few highlights and words from others about him. I'm trying to be cup half full on him. Fran has been killing it lately with recruiting. Something that I don't think has been talked about much. But he hasn't had many misses lately in that department and if anything under recruited guys have outperformed their rankings.

Garza's recruiting skyrocketed late though I believe like after his JR yr I think. He'd already been committed to us for awhile before a lot of those others started jumping in. Lefty Drissel was pounding the desk for MD and Duke to offer before he committed to us but neither did they thought he wasn't athletic enough. The timing of Ewing getting the Georgetown job I thought was on our side too. If he'd have been hired a few months earlier and offered him it may have been tough for him to say no to that. Garza should have been rated higher sooner then he was too. It all worked in our favor. Fran saw him early due to his kids playing AAU loved him and Garza rewarded his loyalty.

Link? Not that I don’t believe you I just haven’t seen anything on that. Quite frankly there is very little clarity of that stuff that exists out there.
I heard Kakert say it on his podcast shortly after the injury. I don't know if Rob plans to do an HN Mailbag podcast this week but I did pose the question to him on Twitter. The NCAA just needs to come up with uniform rules and not have waivers when it comes to transfers.

Yeah and it's tough projecting big guys. I have nothing to base it on then a few highlights and words from others about him. I'm trying to be cup half full on him. Fran has been killing it lately with recruiting. Something that I don't think has been talked about much. But he hasn't had many misses lately in that department and if anything under recruited guys have outperformed their rankings.

Garza's recruiting skyrocketed late though I believe like after his JR yr I think. He'd already been committed to us for awhile before a lot of those others started jumping in. Lefty Drissel was pounding the desk for MD and Duke to offer before he committed to us but neither did they thought he wasn't athletic enough. The timing of Ewing getting the Georgetown job I thought was on our side too. If he'd have been hired a few months earlier and offered him it may have been tough for him to say no to that. Garza should have been rated higher sooner then he was too. It all worked in our favor. Fran saw him early due to his kids playing AAU loved him and Garza rewarded his loyalty.
Oh and I say this after having been critical of missing out on both Carton and Foster... But as of now missing Carton wouldn't have been a big deal (maybe when it's all said and done it still will) We have some good PGs and that's not a weakness. We'll see what Ulis brings to the table. And we are doing pretty well in the big guy department too. So yeah we may not have gotten who we prioritized but that hasn't slowed down the program from being in a pretty good spot today

Oh and I say this after having been critical of missing out on both Carton and Foster... But as of now missing Carton wouldn't have been a big deal (maybe when it's all said and done it still will) We have some good PGs and that's not a weakness. We'll see what Ulis brings to the table. And we are doing pretty well in the big guy department too. So yeah we may not have gotten who we prioritized but that hasn't slowed down the program from being in a pretty good spot today

It's hard to know until we have these guys on campus and see them play to know how this recruiting class will turn out. After this past season I prefer the 1 true post and 4 wing player lineups. As we saw when we had Cook and Garza on the court at the same time the past few seasons, its difficult to have 2 players on the court at the same time that prefer to play with their back to the basket on the low block.

As long as we get another solid post player in 2021 we should be fine.

It's hard to know until we have these guys on campus and see them play to know how this recruiting class will turn out. After this past season I prefer the 1 true post and 4 wing player lineups. As we saw when we had Cook and Garza on the court at the same time the past few seasons, its difficult to have 2 players on the court at the same time that prefer to play with their back to the basket on the low block.

As long as we get another solid post player in 2021 we should be fine.
Couldn't agree more with you on that. Todays college ball really lends itself to that. With zone defenses and all the different ways teams can defend you have to be able to spread the court and have everyone be able to shoot and handle. 2 bigs on the court that can't do that so well really makes it easier for them to defend you. Nunge can shoot that midrange/ outside shot so I think they'll work better together then Cook. I'm not bashing Cook he's a great talent in his own right. But to get the best out of him and Garza and team what we tried to do didn't work all that well.

Couldn't agree more with you on that. Todays college ball really lends itself to that. With zone defenses and all the different ways teams can defend you have to be able to spread the court and have everyone be able to shoot and handle. 2 bigs on the court that can't do that so well really makes it easier for them to defend you. Nunge can shoot that midrange/ outside shot so I think they'll work better together then Cook. I'm not bashing Cook he's a great talent in his own right. But to get the best out of him and Garza and team what we tried to do didn't work all that well.

Agreed. Would have almost been better off playing one or the other at the same time.

As to future though I agree that the Nunge/Garza tandem should work well when they are on the court at the same time. I'm not sure if Ogundale has much of and outside game though so I wonder how he will fit in when Garza is also in the game.

Agreed. Would have almost been better off playing one or the other at the same time.

As to future though I agree that the Nunge/Garza tandem should work well when they are on the court at the same time. I'm not sure if Ogundale has much of and outside game though so I wonder how he will fit in when Garza is also in the game.
Well Ogundale would most likely be taking Pemsls mins. He wouldn't play a ton unless Nunge or Garza got hurt. He hopefully shouldn't be playing enough for it to really matter much. Unless he's just too good to keep off the floor but that'd be a great problem to have. I think we'll see mostly a lineup like this out there regardless of who starts.

Garza
CM
CJF
JW
JBo

Nunge may start with CM coming off the bench but I think CM will play a boat load where he can sub for Nunge CJ and JW. So plenty of mins for CM to play regardless of if he starts or not. We'll be a matchup nightmare for most teams there's no doubt about it.

Latest posts